IGNORED

Tomlins free kick

Cider Queen

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

I think first half there were quite a few who were not playing well so wouldn't single out Tomlin mate. Once we got a grip of the game towards the end of first half and tge second half, Tomlin along with 3 or 4 others started to play to the standards we know they can and hence the final score. Last 10 min Tomlin was bossing the game and taking the piss out of them. 

Spot on.

The little chip over their player to keep possession in the corner was outrageous. 

When Lee's on fire, he's blazing!

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

who's Tomlinson? is that like an ultimate free kick machine?

Looks like Pack to wack from COD to me.

23 minutes ago, Antman said:

Spellcheck frenzy. My iPad adds the 'son' to his name - weird 

Yep, mine too, he will have to be a "son"

Whatever LT thinks -  the opposition goalkeeper is going to have big problems lining the wall up and positioning himself if we have LT and HM seemingly preparing to take the kick -- a great weapon to have in your armoury and I suspect LT was just playing along with this in the interview.

2 hours ago, extonsred said:

Whatever LT thinks -  the opposition goalkeeper is going to have big problems lining the wall up and positioning himself if we have LT and HM seemingly preparing to take the kick -- a great weapon to have in your armoury and I suspect LT was just playing along with this in the interview.

It didn't come across as jesting he sounded arrogant, petulant and dissed both LJ & HM. I'm a huge Tomlin fan and he has it all so I guess this is all part of the package. Shame because I did lose a little respect yesterday as his interview on player mirrored that on BBC RB. 

Sublime goal either way

1 hour ago, RaspberryRed said:

It didn't come across as jesting he sounded arrogant, petulant and dissed both LJ & HM. I'm a huge Tomlin fan and he has it all so I guess this is all part of the package. Shame because I did lose a little respect yesterday as his interview on player mirrored that on BBC RB. 

Sublime goal either way

To be fair, Rich Hoskins did add "he says with a grin and wink" to let the listeners know Tomlin wasn't being entirely serious. I think LT has a very dry sense of humour  which may not always play that well unless you know the bloke.

12 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

In his brief interview on the Bristol City channel on you tube he didn't seem very happy, talking about his ability and proving people wrong. Proving who wrong? Strange one.

I think any player that comes from a team in the Premier League to a team in the Championship feels they have a point to prove.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think any player that comes from a team in the Premier League to a team in the Championship feels they have a point to prove.

Eddie howe?? One or two idiots in the crowd?? Im pretty sure it wasnt lee johnson he was getting at. He has pretty much built the team around him and he was our transfer priority this summer so i cant believe for a minute that tommo would think LJ didnt believe in his ability.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

In the RB interview I heard it sounded like JB was playing along and did sound tongue in cheek. I`ve not heard the player one though so it might come across differently on there.

As I said earlier, if you watch the full player interview it's pretty disrespectful and was aimed at LJ, as well as a little disparaging of Magnusson.

I think he's just a bit simple and speaks his mind, but the interviewer is asking a question about the previous free kick by Magnusson and the fact that the fans were encouraging him with the Icelandic clap, and Tomlin is already glaring and shaking his head and then says "The one that Mags took, it's come from the gaffer for him to take it, which I weren't happy about. Obviously I think he scored a free kick for Juve, don't know what it was first team, reserves, whatever [continuing to shake head] but around the box there, I've got to be taking them, and if it's that close again, I ain't passing to no one, I'm going to be ruthless and do it myself because I know what I can do."

He then goes into the comment about proving people wrong which is in the Youtube clip, so I assume was directly referring to these previous remarks, so I suppose he can only be referring to either LJ or fans who were encouraging Magnusson at the free kick.

Like I said, he's earned the right to be egotistical with what he did at that free kick and before, and you want players to back themselves and be ruthless, but definitely comes across as petulant, sulky and not very team-spirited, traits that we could do without.

18 minutes ago, Olé said:

As I said earlier, if you watch the full player interview it's pretty disrespectful and was aimed at LJ, as well as a little disparaging of Magnusson.

I think he's just a bit simple and speaks his mind, but the interviewer is asking a question about the previous free kick by Magnusson and the fact that the fans were encouraging him with the Icelandic clap, and Tomlin is already glaring and shaking his head and then says "The one that Mags took, it's come from the gaffer for him to take it, which I weren't happy about. Obviously I think he scored a free kick for Juve, don't know what it was first team, reserves, whatever [continuing to shake head] but around the box there, I've got to be taking them, and if it's that close again, I ain't passing to no one, I'm going to be ruthless and do it myself because I know what I can do."

He then goes into the comment about proving people wrong which is in the Youtube clip, so I assume was directly referring to these previous remarks, so I suppose he can only be referring to either LJ or fans who were encouraging Magnusson at the free kick.

Like I said, he's earned the right to be egotistical with what he did at that free kick and before, and you want players to back themselves and be ruthless, but definitely comes across as petulant, sulky and not very team-spirited, traits that we could do without.

100% Correct. Exactly what I alluded to earlier in the thread. 

Whilst I agree with him (being on free kicks) the disparaging remarks are petulant and potentially divisive

I just think it goes with Tomlin's territory and players like him.  To have that magical touch, they are often slightly flawed elsewhere.  They have to believe in their own ability, they'll have had their knock backs and it is their way of proving themselves, both to others and thereself.

Of course we'd love all of our players to be like Joe Bryan, but it ain't like that.  Unless of course Joe is a right one on the quiet and Wilbs is looking after him. :P

Personally I found the Wilbs/Tomlin squad review cringeworthy, it seemed a bit more personal than 'bants', but dressing rooms are often like that.

I didn't find Tomlin's comments on Radio Bristol anything bad at all.  I think he was a bit relieved after a few sub-par performances, and of course, he ain't the most eloquent either!

27 minutes ago, skinster said:

A different view of the free kick, also shows the Aston Villa supporters fire drill and a pair of boots/shoes thrown on the pitch near O'Donnell..

They gave their keeper loads of stick on their forums, but it was a really well taken free kick, and the keeper still got close... not really sure what else he could have done.

On 28/08/2016 at 08:09, Between heaven and hell said:

Personally I thought Lee had quite a  poor game yesterday until he scored that wonderful free kick. Gave the ball away on numerous occasions and got a good rollicking from Flint in the process. But everyone will remember the free kick 

Goals change games (obviously) and subsequently perception.bang average at best before the goal-was then showboating at times after it.now he's 'on the books' I think LJ has his work cut out to manage LT's considerable talents ,on and off the pitch...

38 minutes ago, Fiale said:

They gave their keeper loads of stick on their forums, but it was a really well taken free kick, and the keeper still got close... not really sure what else he could have done.

I think the free kick was the proverbial straw that broke their camel's back.

1) Freeman's shot and the end of the first half....was that hard or well placed that it needed a sprawling save that couldn't be held onto?

2) Tomlin's shot, even thought thru players legs should've been dealt with better than pushing it to Tammy.

3) Tomlin's free-kick.  Reminded me of the Benfuca keeper v Man Utd in 1968 European Cup Final, diving into the back of the net.  It was a decent free-kick, but I'm sure his goal-keeping coach will be having words re his footwork.

20 hours ago, Olé said:

He speaks his mind. Heat of the moment. Defending himself as only he can when he knows he has the talent to do just what he did.

Some players would word it differently but what he said certainly doesn't make him simple far from it. Just needs a little word in his ear

to tone it down maybe. LJ is just the coach to do that, He has that tongue in cheek sense of humour and knows the pressure players are

under these days. It's worth noting that players have different styles of play. He has his. What suits one doesn't suit another. What happens on

the pitch needs to be assessed over the full 90 mins. I'm sure if he had had a ---- game he would have admitted it. Also worth noting that he wasn't

substituted.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

3) Tomlin's free-kick.  Reminded me of the Benfuca keeper v Man Utd in 1968 European Cup Final, diving into the back of the net.  It was a decent free-kick, but I'm sure his goal-keeping coach will be having words re his footwork.

Potty mouth.... 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think the free kick was the proverbial straw that broke their camel's back.

1) Freeman's shot and the end of the first half....was that hard or well placed that it needed a sprawling save that couldn't be held onto?

2) Tomlin's shot, even thought thru players legs should've been dealt with better than pushing it to Tammy.

Benfuca??....is he the Lisboan 'Ben Dover'....?

Archived