IGNORED

Happy or disappointed....

famouslastword

7 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Stortz has hit the nail right on the head. Some of the negative posts on here late last night and this morning certainly reinforce the adage "you can please some of the people, some of the time ... etc". 

After 50+ years of supporting the City, this has to be one of the most exciting periods I've experienced in all that time so let's just chill a bit and enjoy the ride ahead.

With respect I to witnessed those 50yrs I saw many "exciting periods" in the first div, 2nd,3rd and 4th divsions; 12 or so newbies in a transfer window dosent come close to many of them.

I don't believe City have ever been in a position before when there has been proper cover for each position.

We have in the past had three or four providing good cover but never 11.

Plus for the first time we don't have a 'reserve' team made up of has beens, never to be beens,half baked 'beans", and a tiny sprinkling of potential first teamers. We have instead a group of highly talented youngsters numbering some 20 or so.

I feel that for the first time in well over a century we have finally cracked how to run a football club.  Some of us oldies say and not before time too !

7 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

The trouble with doing business early is that come the end of the transfer window it's easy to forget about the start of it.

The season has already started and it's easy to forget that fully half of the starting XI were new players, so quickly have they settled. The temptation is to think "we've got a good team here, if we can just add a few players on deadline day we'll be well away".

If one thinks back to where we were in June, it's a remarkable turnaround. With Baker and Matthews departing, and Flint linked with a move away, we could have been without 3/4s of the back 4. Our central midfield was little more than Pack and Smith and Smith was injured. Tomlin had gone back taking the attacking spark with him and we'd have been reliant on Freeman and Bryan to support Kodjia.

The only negative is that we've lost guaranteed goals in Kodjia but selling players like him for a profit and replacing with well-scouted prospects is how the club should be run. It's what we've been calling for years. This time last year Brentford sold Andre Gray, but they replaced him with Lasse Vibe who actually scored more goals than Gray. So long as the replacements are suitable then it's a win-win situation. Everything about City's recruitment since January suggests that if Engvall is not suitable it won't be for a lack of research and scouting.

"fully half" of eleven, Dan?

13 hours ago, cityboy said:

How anyone can be less than happy with this transfer window boggles my mind.

Some folks are just not very happy, sadly, and Bristol City ain't ever going to change that for them, other than momentarily or for short periods of time. 

Archived