IGNORED

Kodjia - another Maynard?

hantsred

If JK's attitude did change it was only post-Newcastle, a total of 8-9 days.  He played his normal game v Newcastle, so it's not like he's been sulking all season.

Who knows whether LJ was even gonna start him v Scunthorpe. 

Not trying to defend him, but with bids in the last thing we'd have wanted was an injury that was gonna scupper a massive deal.  Once a £10m offer was received and JK's head turned, you;d want to make sure it happened.

12 minutes ago, cynic said:

He was on the bench for the Scunthorpe game (maybe reluctantly) so hardly "refused" to play as you say.

But putting myself in the players position; nearly 27 years old and there's a four year deal worth three or four times the salary and a big fat signing on fee, possibly the last chance of such a deal given my age. Do I risk injury against Scunthorpe in an EFL cup game and lose the best opportunity of my life, or do I sit it out ? No brainer I'm afraid. Unprofessional ? Possibly. Sensible ? Definitely. I don't blame the lad at all.

PS. It wasn't me whispering in your ear.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If JK's attitude did change it was only post-Newcastle, a total of 8-9 days.  He played his normal game v Newcastle, so it's not like he's been sulking all season.

Who knows whether LJ was even gonna start him v Scunthorpe. 

Not trying to defend him, but with bids in the last thing we'd have wanted was an injury that was gonna scupper a massive deal.  Once a £10m offer was received and JK's head turned, you;d want to make sure it happened.

Fair play to both of you guys: that case can be made and of course I understand the points you're making. Nevertheless, my own point was about professionalism and the key issue for me here is that the decision on whether Kodjia should play in that particular game was not his to make. If the head coach decides, either in the best interests of the club, or those of the player, or both, that it's better he doesn't play, fine, but while he's a City player if he's selected it's his job to get on with it. Anyway, academic now, really. He's gone and I think we're all agreed we did bloody well out of it. Upwards and onwards.  

2 hours ago, shamussy said:

He was something of a cult hero for us. In my opinion he was a good striker. Just a bit rough round the edges. I'd like to see him do well but if he doesn't I won't be bothered in the slightest. 

He's made us money and the club have secured a good deal. The players here now will get my full support. I'm well pleased with everything at the club. It's an exciting time. I think we'd be wrong though to pretend our squad is stronger without him in it.

Agree with all of that. Still can't understand why he would choose AV over us tho ( Wearing my BCFC rose tinted specs)

13 hours ago, milo1111 said:

Lets get andre bikey back to stamp on his chest next time we play villa just like he did to maynard when he came back with west ham.:clapping:

The hostility that maynard got that night was something i dont think i ever seen at the gate for any single non-gas player in years.

Thought the hostility towards Maynard was thoroughly warranted given the garbage that he spouted, if he wanted to leave fine but his attitude was a disgrace.

Not bothered that JK left as we made a whopping great profit on a good but not great striker who had no tactical awareness, at 27 years old I seriously don't think he will improve much more mind.

Only one winner clubwise in this scenario and it certainly isn't Villa

I agree with many of the comments on here, and do not feel any real bitterness to Kodjia. He clearly saw us as a stepping stone. To achieve that, he needed to play well, which he overall did, then he moved on with a better contract for himself, and very fair compensation for us.

The only observation I would add - and this is not particularly directed at him as it seems common - is how players can react when their heads get turned. A team 'resting' a player on the verge of a transfer is common, as they are protecting their investment. A player who fancies a move, and then effectively starts to withdraw their labour, to me, has a very simple remedy.

Put in a bloody transfer request! 

Obvious why they do not, as it costs them money. No one needs to shout it from the roof top, but it does kind of bug me players who are in effect demanding a transfer, but will not do so formally. In these circumstances I would much prefer teams to say 'so are you saying you are requesting a transfer?' Not going to happen, but does as I say bug me a little.

8 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

As far as I recall (& I stand to be corrected, Maynard didn't do a great deal wrong - accent comments aside. 

Kodjia refused to play.

To be fair, my memory of most of the performances from Micky in his final months, he did refuse to play, but appeared to only make that decision after games had started.

6 hours ago, Pezo said:

as part of the trampoline payment

Unlimited likes for this. Absolutely brilliant. Hadn't ever really thought how inaccurate a description parachute payments are when you see how big they are, and how long they go on for.

6 hours ago, Pezo said:

The amount they paid is crazy to us but for them it's a small % of the money they get as part of the trampoline payment. I don't think anyone was a loser in this scenario.

Is like to echo the merriment this phrase has brought. If I could give it a popularity badge here and now, I would. 

3 hours ago, robinreliant said:

Agree with all of that. Still can't understand why he would choose AV over us tho ( Wearing my BCFC rose tinted specs)

Yup. I think that's the common thought. We are on an upwards trajectory it seems whilst they are on the way down. However they have invested in the aide have a massive following so when his wages get doubled and that is taken into account then it's understandable. 

The difference with Maynard was him going to run down his contract and it left a bad taste... he held all the cards come the end. This one we've got a hell of a price and hopefully that means we can keep progressing as a club. I know it happened backwards but selling kodjia paid for most of the signings and investment this year.

4 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Fair play to both of you guys: that case can be made and of course I understand the points you're making. Nevertheless, my own point was about professionalism and the key issue for me here is that the decision on whether Kodjia should play in that particular game was not his to make. If the head coach decides, either in the best interests of the club, or those of the player, or both, that it's better he doesn't play, fine, but while he's a City player if he's selected it's his job to get on with it. Anyway, academic now, really. He's gone and I think we're all agreed we did bloody well out of it. Upwards and onwards.  

Yeah, you're right Cliff about professionalism.  Not his decision to make.

2 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Didn't we have a chance to sell Maynard to Leicester for 6 million but was it us or him turned it down?  

Should of cashed in then 

I believe Maynard declined the switch, but I have no certain knowledge of that, maybe someone ITK knows more about that one.

On the topic of JK, I hope the boy does well (as long as we finish above them) as another windfall ala YB would be nice....20 goals for a struggling Villa would be perfect sort of like last season!

44 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think Maynard didn't want to go to Leicester so it was never an option for the club.

Yep, and a few months after Maynard signed for West Ham, Leicester signed a chap called Jamie Vardy who now has a Premier League winner's medal, England caps and a £100k+ a week contract.  Such good judgement from Nicky eh?

6 hours ago, cynic said:

I think SL was maybe talking about overall club profit as he went on to discuss attendances meaning more money etc.

We've pulled in around 18m in transfers out/sell ons and spent around 10m (?) so in terms of transfers we must be well up in this window.

As for Kodjia, best of luck to him - he gave us 20 goals and contributed to us staying up, and got us a hefty amount of money which will enable more investment.  He obviously didn't want to play at Scunny or against Villa as an injury could have changed his life, which is fair enough. I hope he does well and goes on to have a great career. 

It's possible he was just talking about transfers though, as there's always an agent fee.

Circa £8m is a big difference, but we made 33 deals altogether including contracts renewals and it all stacks up.

9 hours ago, cynic said:

I think SL was maybe talking about overall club profit as he went on to discuss attendances meaning more money etc.

We've pulled in around 18m in transfers out/sell ons and spent around 10m (?) so in terms of transfers we must be well up in this window.

As for Kodjia, best of luck to him - he gave us 20 goals and contributed to us staying up, and got us a hefty amount of money which will enable more investment.  He obviously didn't want to play at Scunny or against Villa as an injury could have changed his life, which is fair enough. I hope he does well and goes on to have a great career. 

I may be wrong but as mentioned on other threads is SL now becoming more streetwise regarding football?

Clubs know we've received a large amount for JK and potentially have a large sum to spend. Is SL implying that we're just balancing the books and don't have the money to pay for large transfers? Are we starting to be a little more aware of how other clubs perceive our wealth/transfer fund?

I think it was great business all round.

At his age he's got a good move to a bigger club.

He's now a full international but will be missing for important games during the ACON.

We've got a fantastic return on our investment & more importantly can demonstrate to future up and coming players that we can improve and develop players & I am sure that would have come up in the negotiations with Engval.

I am not sure at JK's age whether any further improvement could have been made, only time will tell.

. . .As for being another

Micky Naynard, no definately not.

I remember the night of his return and the first 5 mins he was desperate to score in front of the away fans, I've never seen him move so quickly to try to get his shot off.

The vitriol towards him that night was skeletoresque!

There are certain similarities between the two players in that they openly wanted to leave, but the subsequent differences in how their respective departures were handled display an excellent indicator that the decision making at the club has improved massively since our last two seasons in the Championship before relegation.

It was clear that Micky Naynard of the mighty Hammers Cardiff Wigan  Franchise FC wanted to leave us, yet the club dithered over whether or not to keep him a bit longer and cost us money from potential transfer fees we could have recouped. Having an unsettled player in what was slowly developing into a mercenary squad for us damaged us far more than any of Micky's goals could save. Yet with Jimmy, LJ and MA immediately came to the decision to let him go regardless of his talent. Since our relegation, we have endeavoured on creating a close knit squad and have succeeded massively- why would we risk this for the sake of a player who could upset this group while not even being our most valuable forward at this present time?

This swift decision paid off hugely, as Aston Villa became our own personal pinata- we hit them so hard on Saturday that 11 million pounds fell out! Obviously, the huge inflation of transfer fees that we started to see this window have to be taken into account, but this must not draw away from the significance of how our club and its management have learned from a mistake and immediately put it right with sound transfer dealings. Long may it continue.

39 minutes ago, Swede said:

. . .As for being another

Micky Naynard, no definately not.

I remember the night of his return and the first 5 mins he was desperate to score in front of the away fans, I've never seen him move so quickly to try to get his shot off.

The vitriol towards him that night was skeletoresque!

Really was something else and quite quickly he was a rabbit in the headlights. If there's ever proof needed of what a vitriolic AG can do it was that night, he really was a shambles. Mind you, wasn't the first time he'd been booed. Before then we had months of him barely shifting his arse out of first gear. In particular I remember a game away at reading where he was subbed off and roundly booed by a strong away crowd. 

On 2 September 2016 at 23:11, Nibor said:

Indeed.  People get very worked up about silly notions like loyalty.  He's a professional not a fan, he'll do whatever is best for his career just like most of us would.

We did extremely well out of Kodjia and he did extremely well out of us.  He didn't make any disparaging comments or disrupt the club, he just quite fancied about four times as much wages.

I'd love to hear from the person who wouldn't switch employers under those circumstances.

I didn't expect loyalty from Kodjia but surely we should of expected him to be professional, by refusing to play against Scunthorpe I have lost all respect for the man, after all the club pays his wages.

I always give ex players a warm welcome when they come back to The  Gate but alas JK won't be getting one from me .

Just another foreign footballer who don't give a toss and shows a lack of respect for Lee Johnson, Steve Lansdown , his team mates and the fans.

On 2 September 2016 at 22:20, hantsred said:

After seeing SL confirm that Kodjia wanting away was the driving force in his late departure, it will be interesting to see over the next couple of years whether he ultimately becomes the Premier League striker in demand or will disappear into the nether like so many others.

It is not entirely unreasonable to think we could be in the top league before him which would be almost as funny as the fee we managed to land for him.

Which brings me on to Maynard (yes, sorry to bring his name up again) as the last want away big time striker in a City shirt - never realised he went on to score only 17 more first team goals over 4 years!! That's less than he scored in the 09-10 season for us.  And only 8 Premier League appearances after all that fuss about wanting to play there. Ok suffered from injuries and the like but that is pretty poor and he now finds himself in a lower division than City at the tender age of 28.

It would be rude not to gloat if Kodjia goes the same way;)

Yes he is but we got a lot of profit out of him but we didn't with mickyMicky

Archived