IGNORED

Mark Halsey

Super

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Disgraceful. 

It is an interesting one.

If I am reading it right, it is not that refs are told to turn a blind eye to things happening on the pitch. It is, if the cameras have caught something bad happening that the ref does not deal with, by saying they did not see it, action can still be taken.

At one level, it can be argued justice gets done this way. Equally, the root of the problem is the rule that says action cannot be taken if the ref did see it. With the speed at which things happen on the pitch in real time, I do not see that it undercuts the refs authority to say action can be taken after the game if videos show something outrageous happened, whether the ref saw it or not? Surely this just accepts they are human?

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

That explains why so many refs overlook fouls by the former Premier League teams when they play against us.  Some of the decisions have been strange, to say the least!

With all due respect, I think you've misunderstood the article.

Halsay saying that he was told to say he hadn't seen incidents after the match so that players could still be banned.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

With all due respect, I think you've misunderstood the article.

Halsay saying that he was told to say he hadn't seen incidents after the match so that players could still be banned.

Well refs at Ashton Gate seldom see some of the fouls against us from ex Premier League teams - if more of our games were televised, then maybe more players would be banned.  I understand that the game is very fast and that it is easy to miss incidents or to misread them - but it sometimes seems to me that decisions that should go in our favour do not - and that is what I was highlighting.  I wonder if the refs are told to ignore some of the antics of the largest teams in the Championship because there is a financial advantage to football in helping these teams to do well.  The problem with any hint of corruption is that you tend to think you see it everywhere once you know it exists.

Just end the stupid rule and allow retrospective action whether the ref's seen it or not.  Fast game, lots of decisions and action all round mistakes will be made.  Should only apply to violent conduct though.

The law is an ass in this instance, deliberate violent conduct should be dealt with no matter what happened in the 90 mins.

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

It is an interesting one.

If I am reading it right, it is not that refs are told to turn a blind eye to things happening on the pitch. It is, if the cameras have caught something bad happening that the ref does not deal with, by saying they did not see it, action can still be taken.

At one level, it can be argued justice gets done this way. Equally, the root of the problem is the rule that says action cannot be taken if the ref did see it. With the speed at which things happen on the pitch in real time, I do not see that it undercuts the refs authority to say action can be taken after the game if videos show something outrageous happened, whether the ref saw it or not? Surely this just accepts they are human?

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

Just end the stupid rule and allow retrospective action whether the ref's seen it or not.  Fast game, lots of decisions and action all round mistakes will be made.  Should only apply to violent conduct though.

The law is an ass in this instance, deliberate violent conduct should be dealt with no matter what happened in the 90 mins.

Absolutely, bloody stupid rule. No-one`s perfect and going to get 100% right - particularly at pitch level, it`s easy from up in the stand.

Archived