IGNORED

Match day thread - first game of the season!

cityexile

Well, it's a brave new world. 

After several near misses, maybes and could haves, the One Team in Bristol has finally made it to the Premier League, and kick off today. The stuff of dreams? Well maybe, but sadly for us it is Rugby Football. Bristol, home ground a certain Ashton Gate, kick off today at 4.30pm away at Harlequins. Concensus is that a 15-20 point defeat or do, picking up a bonus point in defeat, would not be a bad start.

They will finish top 12, but then there are only 12 teams in the league. One goes down. Other than the six nations, do not really follow the code, although I am told the objective this year is to stay up. Also told that will not be easy, and we will be one of the favoriates to struggle. Most likely to between Bristol, Worcester and Newcastle, maybe Sale.

So, on a day when we do not play, how much do we care? Will many of you take the opportunity to see a home game? 

I kind of wish them well. Then again I would kind of wish the Bristol tiddly winks team well. I suppose it must help us at the margin if they fill the Gate a few times, and go on to success. We are in the same tent now. Do you care on a non Championshp football day more about the England result, or even the Rovers result?

Wish our recently adopted member of the family well, but in truth will not make or break my weekend either way. 

Does it mean anything to Bristol City however?

12 hours ago, cityexile said:

Well maybe, but sadly for us it is Rugby Football. Bristol, home ground a certain Ashton Gate, kick off today at 4.30pm away at Harlequins...

Wasn't it at Twickenham? Is that really away at Harlequins?! Genuine question.

But Saracens also played Worcester at Twickenham today?! Was that a Saracens home game?!

I'm not a big rugby fan, but how can Saracens and Harlequins both claim Twickenham as their home ground for just one day?!

On 3 September 2016 at 13:22, cityexile said:

Well, it's a brave new world. 

After several near misses, maybes and could haves, the One Team in Bristol has finally made it to the Premier League, and kick off today. The stuff of dreams? Well maybe, but sadly for us it is Rugby Football. Bristol, home ground a certain Ashton Gate, kick off today at 4.30pm away at Harlequins. Concensus is that a 15-20 point defeat or do, picking up a bonus point in defeat, would not be a bad start.

They will finish top 12, but then there are only 12 teams in the league. One goes down. Other than the six nations, do not really follow the code, although I am told the objective this year is to stay up. Also told that will not be easy, and we will be one of the favoriates to struggle. Most likely to between Bristol, Worcester and Newcastle, maybe Sale.

So, on a day when we do not play, how much do we care? Will many of you take the opportunity to see a home game? 

I kind of wish them well. Then again I would kind of wish the Bristol tiddly winks team well. I suppose it must help us at the margin if they fill the Gate a few times, and go on to success. We are in the same tent now. Do you care on a non Championshp football day more about the England result, or even the Rovers result?

Wish our recently adopted member of the family well, but in truth will not make or break my weekend either way. 

Does it mean anything to Bristol City however?

Yes they played in our kit

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wasn't it at Twickenham? Is that really away at Harlequins?! Genuine question.

But Saracens also played Worcester at Twickenham today?! Was that a Saracens home game?!

I'm not a big rugby fan, but how can Saracens and Harlequins both claim Twickenham as their home ground for just one day?!

To be honest, just saw Bristol were listed second and assumed they were away. As I now understand it, this was a first day double header special at Twickenham, which is not the home ground of any team.

As it was a league match, and like football each team is played home and away, I assume this takes the place of Saracens and Harlequins home matches for these games, but this is an assumption.

3 hours ago, cityexile said:

To be honest, just saw Bristol were listed second and assumed they were away. As I now understand it, this was a first day double header special at Twickenham, which is not the home ground of any team.

As it was a league match, and like football each team is played home and away, I assume this takes the place of Saracens and Harlequins home matches for these games, but this is an assumption.

Bit weird isn't it? Bit like the league saying, oh when Bristol City play Forest at home we'll play it at Wembley, and to make it worthwhile, perhaps Brentford vs Wigan could be played there on the same day...strange!

But obviously money is the motivator for a change!

Archived