IGNORED

O'Donnell....is there a better keeper in the league?

Londoner

I'm struggling to think of a better keeper in this league than ROD....if you look at what he has done since signing....shot stopping, command of the box, communication etc, is there any better? Other than wolves last year I can't think of a time when he hasn't been consistently very very good.

People will mention the likes of Stockdale, Camp, Kucziack etc, but they have all made mistakes, even Stockdale had an awful run last season.

Newcastle and Villa clearly have goalkeeper issues, rare for the big sides.....but personally, I wouldn't swap ROD for anyone in this league based on so far.

Keep up the good work and don't jinx it at Rotherham!

22 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I'm struggling to think of a better keeper in this league than ROD....if you look at what he has done since signing....shot stopping, command of the box, communication etc, is there any better? Other than wolves last year I can't think of a time when he hasn't been consistently very very good.

People will mention the likes of Stockdale, Camp, Kucziack etc, but they have all made mistakes, even Stockdale had an awful run last season.

Newcastle and Villa clearly have goalkeeper issues, rare for the big sides.....but personally, I wouldn't swap ROD for anyone in this league based on so far.

Keep up the good work and don't jinx it at Rotherham!

Thank you for your contribution Mrs O'Donnell , yeah your boy done good .

I think he's up there. I've seen him make some fantastic reflex saves, always commands his area and is quick off his line to snuff out danger. For me he's a top keeper in the division but I see him every week and not the others. I think the SW keeper is a top keeper. Camp had a brilliant game against us last year and got good reviews for a struggling side. Anyway, I think ROD is quite far ahead of Frankie by now and I don't see the need for a new keeper. It's one of the last positions I would look at improving. 

People get carried away with O'Donnell because he shows a lot of passion. 

I understand you're not going to get the finished article in this league but O'Donnells kicking is poor & last week had Flint not saved his arse we would've been 2 down before the break. 

For me he's an average championship standard keeper nothing more, nothing less. 

4 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I understand you're not going to get the finished article in this league but O'Donnells kicking is poor & last week had Flint not saved his arse we would've been 2 down before the break. 

That's cleared that one up then.

I wouldn't say he's the best in the league. Happy with him in goal though, rate him more than Fielding. Pretty much every goal we concede you can't blame ROD for.... BUT! Having said that, I hope next summer we go out big and sign a top keeper, not because O'Donnell is poor but to only improve on the team. Next summer, depending of how the season goes of course, should be a lot easier for Lee and Ashton. Can't see us bringing in as many so would hope we spend big on 3 or 4 players. 1 being a keeper and the other a striker. O'Donnell is great but I think we can do better. Not a concern right now though. 

1 hour ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

I wouldn't say he's the best in the league. Happy with him in goal though, rate him more than Fielding. Pretty much every goal we concede you can't blame ROD for.... BUT! Having said that, I hope next summer we go out big and sign a top keeper, not because O'Donnell is poor but to only improve on the team. Next summer, depending of how the season goes of course, should be a lot easier for Lee and Ashton. Can't see us bringing in as many so would hope we spend big on 3 or 4 players. 1 being a keeper and the other a striker. O'Donnell is great but I think we can do better. Not a concern right now though. 

Waste of money for me. As you say you can't pin too many points lost on ROD so why spend £'s when the points return will be minimal. Money better spent elsewhere. 

As for ROD, well I can't say Heaton impressed me too much more when he was here. 

so....going by this forum...we have the best keeper in the league....and the best centre defensive partnership in the legue

warm up the open top bus!! the league is ours

All joking aside....solid keeper at this level, but no more then that.  Talk of commanding his box and being a good shot stopper....you get that from any keeper at this level. 

More then happy with him between the sticks though

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Funny you say that....villa fans aren't happy with their keepers shot stopping and Newcastle want their keeper dropped because he keeps making mistakes when trying to command....similar with Frankie.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

so....going by this forum...we have the best keeper in the league....and the best centre defensive partnership in the legue

warm up the open top bus!! the league is ours

All joking aside....solid keeper at this level, but no more then that.  Talk of commanding his box and being a good shot stopper....you get that from any keeper at this level. 

More then happy with him between the sticks though

I wouldn't suggest we have the best in either, but collectively maybe not far behind. To put it in context, we've played Burton and Wigan who both have a healthy GF column, then three relegated Prem teams and conceded just 5. I think there will be more than a few teams envious of that defensive record. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

I wouldn't suggest we have the best in either, but collectively maybe not far behind. To put it in context, we've played Burton and Wigan who both have a healthy GF column, then three relegated Prem teams and conceded just 5. I think there will be more than a few teams envious of that defensive record. 

and with very little change to the defensive 5 that ended last season.

last season under LJ we conceded 24 goals in 16 games, or 1.5 goals per game, but even that was an improvement on our record under Cotts which was 46 conceded in 26*, or 1.77 goals per game.

We did concede just 1 time in 4 games under Pemberton though*

*for all managers I just used league records

We have four good keepers buying another is a non starter unless we lose at least one. Not sure how long FF has on his contract but personally I really like the guy. Great attitude loves our club and is top drawer as a commentator too. 

ROD is in form of that there is no doubt. The fact he went down the pecking order so much at his last club suggests that might not have been the case there. Either way he as good as anything out there and long may his and our form continue!!

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Was going to say Marshall at Cardiff but thought I'd check my facts first - had no idea he'd signed for Hull! Top keeper. Actually surprised that's it Hull - I keep hearing how they haven't bought anyone.

They signed six last week!

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He's a decent Championship keeper.  That's it.

Amazing how some get carried away.  Best keeper, best centre back, best midfielder....

I agree about some getting carried away. But I do think that in Smith and O'Neill we have a central midfield pairing that would be among the best in the league.

Not the 2 best central midfielders, but 2 very good ones, which will form a great partnership.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I agree about some getting carried away. But I do think that in Smith and O'Neill we have a central midfield pairing that would be among the best in the league.

It`s inevitable that if we`re doing reasonably well we`re going to talk up our players and rightly so, it`s what supporters do. It works both ways, if we were crap we`d be saying that Flint wasn`t up to it, GON was too old etc etc.

Archived