IGNORED

This season......so far

Jerseybean

So one month into proceedings it is time to revisit my pre-season thoughts to see how things are going at this early stage of the season. Here is what I had to say before City kicked a ball in anger:

Ahead of the new season kicking off its an opportunity for this life-long City fan to share a few thoughts. Having supported the team for nearly 60 years and experienced the unique roller-coaster that is BCFC I genuinely think the Club is in the best place it has been for many years.

On the pitch BCFC is heading in the right direction - an excellent recruitment campaign over the closed season has strengthened the squad, created a better balance, added experience / competition and secured some excellent investments. Our forward-thinking approach to the under 23 squad and academy is equally encouraging. 

Off the pitch things look superb - a stunning new stadium, a sound / sustainable business / recruitment strategy and a good / coherent background team. Steve Lansdown's quiet, committed, stewardship and financial support are seismic and rarely acknowledged / celebrated.

The fan base - increased season ticket sales and stadium capacity, the general mood of positivity are all encouraging signs. However, as any sports supporter knows fans want success, while we are heading towards success we need to be realistic. The new stadium provides City fans with a superb opportunity to pack the Gate and make great NOISE as they truly support the team - through good and bad times. It would be something to behold if away teams and fans left Ashton Gate thinking, that's a superb stadium and they are superb fans.

The coming season - as Lee Johnson says the Championship is more like the Premiership II and rather like the Premiership can be divided into (at least) three sections; wealthy clubs, up-and-coming clubs and failing / struggling clubs, City are in the middle group IMO and are doing lots to secure positive income streams / build and move forward sustainably. 

As a 60 year old fan, who watched his first game at Ashton Gate as a three year old, I feel really excited and confident about the coming season. Nevertheless, a lifetime of supporting Bristol City has been character building and has brought many lessons! So what do I hope for?

IMO this season we should realistically be looking to:

Finish between 8th and 15th in the table
Enjoy a much better FA Cup campaign, the 6th round would be good 
Keep hold of our best / key players
Develop younger players
Secure a bigger fan base, which really gets behind the team and does not moan as much!
Read and see far more positive things about BCFC on social media and the media in general
Continue on the exciting journey towards a sustainable / successful future
Ensure that away teams / fans leave Ashton Gate knowing it is a very special / atmospheric place, packed with brilliant facilities and supporters and as LJ says it becomes a fortress
View the 2016/17 season as a major step towards reaching the Premiership 

Most of all lets really enjoy every minute of the new season, from the first whistle against Wigan through until the final whistle against Birmingham (who knows perhaps even until the final whistle of the play off final). Let's stick together, the only thing I know for sure is that there will be good and bad times, and support BCFC like never before!

One month later let's see how things are looking, here are my ten key reflections:

1) Other than selling Kodja we have held onto our best players. Personally I'd rather have the substantial money than Kodja, a profit of circa £9m with the potential for a further £4m plus a sell-on clause all adds up to good business, provided - of course - we can ensure goals from throughout the squad! Rather than being reliant on one key goal scorer I think we have numerous players throughout the team who can score. LJ will be challenged to get the best formation/selection for each game. Kodja when he was fully firing was an automatic starter. 
2) Our recruitment strategy makes sound sense and is sustainable; by focusing on predominantly under 24's with potential we won't break the bank, may see a few who fail to mature into  their full potential, but will hopefully see some who really excel for us and/or are sold for a good profit (as recently in the case of Kodja and of course Albert and Yannick)
3) We now have competition for practically all positions, albeit with limited options in the forward line.
4) With 11 young players out on loan and a decent under 23 squad and the academy I'm really encouraged by the vision for the future and the much stronger link between the first team and the rest of our players
5) We have arguably played three of the stronger teams and have 9 points from 5 league games, the two defeats, both 1-0, were not disastrous.
6) We are still in the EFL cup!
7) The stunning new stadium is bedding-in and our average attendance to date is 20,415 which is encouraging and creates additional revenue. For me our vocal support is still at times inconsistent, it is always easy to make noise when we are winning/bossing games but it's even more crucial we remain vocal/supportive when things aren't going so well in a game
8) The team are struggling to be consistent for 90 minutes, playing well in patches, the game against Villa really highlighted this - being very much a game of two halves. 
9) Haven't yet seen the best of Tomlin; hope he will repay our faith, get fitter and stop picking up yellow cards                                    10) We are of course very much a work-in-progress; we haven't even seen a number of the most recent young recruits play in a City shirt yet

I look forward to seeing others thoughts on our start to this season.

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

I'd be disappointed too if we finish 15th. Hoping it will be nearer to 8th, still reckon my middle-third prediction is realistic.

You just never know with this league,other teams have made good signings too.

Remember we only lost narrowly to Newcastle and Norwich and beat Villa fairly comprehensivley in the second half last week so i dont think the team will fear anyone now.What we need is a good run of results and consistency and i feel our home form will be really important,making Ashton Gate a fortress again like our play off season.

3 hours ago, cynic said:

Re attendances, we are currently 9th in the division for home attendances. Hopefully, we can keep that up for a few more games with Derby and Leeds coming up.

http://www.soccerstats.com/attendance.asp?league=england2

Last season we averaged 15,292 at home games. Hopefully we will be up by at least 5,000 on that this season - meaning a better atmosphere and more revenue 

Lots of positives.  Players out on loan is like work experience for me and good to see.   They need to ready to play when called upon.

The only concern I have right now is bedding in all the new recruits.  How quickly LJ impart his philosophy and get them firing on all cylinders.  How can we keep such a talented feel involved when they won't be in the team or even in the squad.  Nice problem to have though.

Archived