IGNORED

Best Derbies...

Tinmans Love Child

1 hour ago, red from the blue side said:

"For a city the doesn't really like football enough to support two teams, this one gets surprisingly heated"

Bristol really isn't seen as a footballing city is it :crying:

27 minutes ago, 054123 said:

:laugh:, because Newcastle could support 2 teams? I'd say given the complete lack of any success in over 100 years it's a testament to how much Bristol loves football that it supports 2 teams so well.

Um, yes Newcastle could support two teams easily, especially if they'd been established for over 100 years. 

18% of Newcastle's population regularly watch the one team in their home matches, only 5% of Bristol's population watches our two teams.....so yes, more people are interested in football in Newcastle in both real terms and as a proportion of their local population. So they could easily support two teams...

Sometimes look in on your forum and this topic got my attention.      I don't know (obviously) what it's like for a Rovers / City game and no disrespect to either team, but over this side of the country there's always the potential for some "unsavoury incidents" when we play Norwich and just recently there was the obligatory arrests and hostilities, not to mention the smoke devices thrown from the stands (by some idiots)

Thing is though we're separated by a good 40 miles so it's not really a 'derby' game so to speak : but there are so few other challengers in the vicinity for either team to battle.  

Personally I don't care much for them, or have the same level of animosity as some of our more 'more passionate' fans, I invariably view them as an inferior triviality (Two league cups in 100 years + boys ?, it's not worth the bother)  :yawn:     

Furthermore seen it read that Wolves vs West Bromwich is the biggest derby game in the UK (bigger than the Old Firm by all accounts) in terms of hostilities and rivalry.     Fair enough I haven't been to that fixture itself but having spoken to fans from both clubs on the issue, it's not something you'd ideally want to be in the centre of (if and when) trouble arises.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Um, yes Newcastle could support two teams easily, especially if they'd been established for over 100 years. 

18% of Newcastle's population regularly watch the one team in their home matches, only 5% of Bristol's population watches our two teams.....so yes, more people are interested in football in Newcastle in both real terms and as a proportion of their local population. So they could easily support two teams...

No need to hesitate at the start, be more more confident in your delivery, you'll go farther in life. 

Players that have played in a number of British derbies always pick out the Old Firm as the most intense. In Britain their can be little argument that Celtic v Rangers is the biggest. In England/Wales it is less clear, do you judge it on hatred/violence, in which case Millwall v West Ham, Liverpool v Man Utd and Cardiff v Swansea would be right up there. Or the same city intensity, in which case  City v Rovers, Wednesday v United and Birmingham v Villa would all be contenders.

Archived