IGNORED

Hashtag utd

I am the mole

Well the person responsible is a YouTuber. So his audience would be fans of his on YouTube. There was a game a while back where the sidemen (YouTubers) played a YouTube star cast. Millions have watched the game, it's no different than when England play rest of the world in the celeb/legends game. Just a bit of fun which raises money for charity. 

You'd be surprised how much these guys make for putting up a few minute videos every other day. It's mental. 

As the quality of British TV goes down and young people are looking for 'quick satisfaction' on a mobile platform then Youtube will only continue to grow. Although I don't watch Spencer I'm aware of him and fairplay to him and others who have fashioned highly successful careers doing what they love. 

I probably watch more Youtube than normal TV now though as TV is, bar a few good shows, pretty poor.

43 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

As the quality of British TV goes down and young people are looking for 'quick satisfaction' on a mobile platform then Youtube will only continue to grow. Although I don't watch Spencer I'm aware of him and fairplay to him and others who have fashioned highly successful careers doing what they love. 

I probably watch more Youtube than normal TV now though as TV is, bar a few good shows, pretty poor.

Or old people fail to make anything long term that's satisfying to watch :thumbsup:

These things are popular now, and may be worth a ton of money, but whether they have staying power is another thing.

While YouTube isn't about to disappear, if you attach yourself to a medium that represents users with a low attention span or minimal staying power, your million pound brand might be worth much less than that in a few years time.

One thing that football has going for it is that it's got staying power. Teams have been around for many decades in some capacity, and it's likely that Bristol City will still be around for a few generations yet.

Sadly, most football clubs haven't grasped the Internet, let alone social media, and these kind of experiments are leaving established clubs in the dust.

2 minutes ago, Clarky89 said:

The guy that came up with Hashtag United also recently organised a charity game at Wembley called the 'Wembley Cup' where his team played another YouTuber team - I think it was the highest attended game of the entire weekend in the UK.

Times are a changing!!

The Wembley Cup had 18,000 (brilliant for a Friday night), Arsenal legends vs Milan Glorie (great game which I attended) was near enough a sell out (so around 60,000).

4 hours ago, EnderMB said:

These things are popular now, and may be worth a ton of money, but whether they have staying power is another thing.

While YouTube isn't about to disappear, if you attach yourself to a medium that represents users with a low attention span or minimal staying power, your million pound brand might be worth much less than that in a few years time.

One thing that football has going for it is that it's got staying power. Teams have been around for many decades in some capacity, and it's likely that Bristol City will still be around for a few generations yet.

Sadly, most football clubs haven't grasped the Internet, let alone social media, and these kind of experiments are leaving established clubs in the dust.

To be fair "these things" have been popular for nearly a decade and will continue to be popular so long as the Internet is, which lets be fair will always be popular. Imagine a world without the internet

*stares into space and shivers

EnderMB a lot of clubs have thoroughly embraced the internet and you tube. Many clubs have their own channels. A positive offshoot is clubs doing training videos for kids. Some coaching videos are better than the real thing as they offer various views of skills, slo mo and can be done at home. Kids really do benefit from on line coaching.

16 hours ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

To be fair "these things" have been popular for nearly a decade and will continue to be popular so long as the Internet is, which lets be fair will always be popular. Imagine a world without the internet

*stares into space and shivers

Well, Bristol City do have a YouTube and a Facebook account, and they do have some sort of presence on Snapchat, but in terms of a proper social media strategy it seems that this is completely missing. A company needs to do more than hire a social media person and have them sit on Twitter and Facebook all day. They need to maintain an up-to-date website, engage fans in whatever medium they use, and promote themselves wherever possible.

Man City is often the example thrown around. Now, bear in mind that their site and social media platform is over five years old. They've been trouncing most football clubs for years, with very minimal changes. These things cost money, but they pay for themselves, and for a club that wants to push attendances and get more fans in the ground, Bristol City do **** all.

It is probably unfair, no it is unfair to say Bristol City do **** all, but they are failing to understand a possibility.

A youtube video featuring a player demonstrating skills has next to no cost. Some of these channels featuring training videos can have a million plus subscribers.

Bristol City were asked why they did not use Jay Emmanuel Thomas to demonstrate his skills, tekkers to kids via youtube. They did not appear to understand the medium.

Archived