IGNORED

El Salvadoran "Match Fixing"

Ian M

• Admin

Does anyone else view this as match fixing? 

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/37284033

A Salvadoran business man has offered rewards to the El Salvadore players if they avoid the heavy defeat everyone expects them to be on the end of. 

Encouraging a team to play well surely isn't match fixing or that's a hell of a lot of clubs will need charging!

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Does anyone else view this as match fixing? 

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/37284033

A Salvadoran business man has offered rewards to the El Salvadore players if they avoid the heavy defeat everyone expects them to be on the end of. 

Encouraging a team to play well surely isn't match fixing or that's a hell of a lot of clubs will need charging!

The version of the story that I read was that the offer was made on behalf of some Honduran 'businessmen' who thought that El Salvador would intentionally lose heavily in order to make it impossible for Honduras to qualify (which looks unlikely anyway)

But I agree, it's not exactly match fixing in the classical sense, but I imagine it's against FIFA rules to accept such offers of a gift 

On 7 September 2016 at 14:07, chipdawg said:

The version of the story that I read was that the offer was made on behalf of some Honduran 'businessmen' who thought that El Salvador would intentionally lose heavily in order to make it impossible for Honduras to qualify (which looks unlikely anyway)

But I agree, it's not exactly match fixing in the classical sense, but I imagine it's against FIFA rules to accept such offers of a gift 

FIFA have rules about accepting gifts? You see how funny that sounds?! If such a rule actually exists the application of it is about as plausible as Putin taking part in a free and fair election. !

40 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

FIFA have rules about accepting gifts? You see how funny that sounds?! If such a rule actually exists the application of it is about as plausible as Putin taking part in a free and fair election. !

Well yes and no. In a game where players are now earning 7 figure monthly wages it's a bit stupid to discourage the giving of motivational 'gifts'. However, the line between 'gift' and 'bribe' could easily be blurred so I understand the need for zero tolerance. In this case, El Salvador have been balls deep in such corruption before and it was the players who reported it rather than FIFA declaring it corrupt. Have the authorities made further comment on this? I haven't been following it

On 8 September 2016 at 05:42, WayOutWest said:

Canadians have been at it for years. There is no way they can be that shit for so many games.

They get beat by countries they send food aid too!

The thing about Canada is that they give about as much of a hoot about football as we do about their national sport, Ice Hockey. Outside of BC and Toronto, where there are big immigrant populations, it might as well be Quiditch

6 hours ago, chipdawg said:

The thing about Canada is that they give about as much of a hoot about football as we do about their national sport, Ice Hockey. Outside of BC and Toronto, where there are big immigrant populations, it might as well be Quiditch

True.  But they do have/had some decent players.  Their results are appalling. 

Archived