IGNORED

FA 'softening' England Targets

CheddarReds

Hi all,

was on the BBC Sport page and came across this : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37293275

I'd be interested your thoughts on it?

We might not necessarily be ready to win it by then, fair enough. But if we make it to any major tournament surely we should be aiming to win it (not expecting, but aiming)? To me, by softening expectations it makes it seem all rosey to the players if we don't perform to our best, like a let off.

Have I misunderstood something or am I just over reacting and being silly to what is actually reasonable?

37 minutes ago, hodge said:

If Portugal can win a tournament in the fashion they did this summer there is no reason for England not to aim to win competitions, is it expected of them? No, however it shouldn't mean it isn't the end aim. 

Which is what they're trying to change their objective to, from reading that.

Good news too, the players freeze up enough without needless demands from the FA.

6 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Which is what they're trying to change their objective to, from reading that.

Good news too, the players freeze up enough without needless demands from the FA.

It's a sad state when the country has to lower their expectations of the national team (who should really be doing better than recent years) just to prevent added pressure on the players who are, incidentally, payed handsomely. But...it's true.

46 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

It's a sad state when the country has to lower their expectations of the national team (who should really be doing better than recent years) just to prevent added pressure on the players who are, incidentally, payed handsomely. But...it's true.

Maybe, but contrary to popular belief paying someone more money does not automatically harden them to pressure.

These seem to be pointless targets anyway. Set the expectation too high and the players are scarred when the team fails. Set them too low and everyone complains.

The country is stirred up by things like this, which in turn feeds the press, to expect the team to win. The constant use of phrases like 'England expects' does not help in the slightest.

We may as well face it, England haven't had a successful team in the last 50 years, I've never known one. I've seen failure after failure, so that I now wonder when it's going to happen, rather than if.

it seems to me that the FA targets should be:

1. Instill pride in playing for your country

2. Have players work as a team, rather than a group of big time Charlies

3. Ban headphones to help team communication

4. Have the team do as well as they are able, rather than set unrealistic targets.

I know it's unpopular, but we aren't that good. We don't play as a team, even when we have a set of good players. We need to resolve this before we can set targets of where we are going to finish.

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

What do you mean by 'stop the prem'?

We have the FA, The Prem and the Football League, 3 different governing with vested interest and different agenda, why do we need 3?,

The prem is all about money, they don't give a shit about play development, fans, or anyone else, hence them wanting a closed shop, its no coincidence that as the prem league got stronger the national team got weaker, 10 -15 years time we will be picking players from the championship and league one for the national team if it continues its trend  

To me it's not so much about lowering expectations but getting an underdog mentality about the team.  At the moment we go into games looking like a struggling Premier League team away to the League One leaders in a tricky cup tie and it does us no favours.  If we can go in quietly confident and desperate to prove ourselves, it'd do us a lot of favours...

34 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We have the FA, The Prem and the Football League, 3 different governing with vested interest and different agenda, why do we need 3?,

The prem is all about money, they don't give a shit about play development, fans, or anyone else, hence them wanting a closed shop, its no coincidence that as the prem league got stronger the national team got weaker, 10 -15 years time we will be picking players from the championship and league one for the national team if it continues its trend  

I see...

It would be interesting to see the effect of introducing some form of quota for home nations players. I imagine there would be some reluctance from commercial avenues though if this was even attempted to push through.

Archived