IGNORED

Neil Kilkenny new club

Major Isewater

In fairness he played a lot of football in the bottom half of the championship and league one so he does have a point.

There is no point denying that a lot of teams like to go long and play the percentage game at those levels I.e if we hoof it long 5 times it will probably drop to one of our players at some point  (I include us in that as his time here was up there with some of the worst football we have seen down the gate.) This is what he is pointing at.

But the point he does ignore is that when teams tried to play the ball along the floor- he was still shit. And the point of going long was probably to avoid having to have him as the focal point of the team.

He was a player I never warmed to when he was here. I felt he thought he was much better than he actually was and didn't seem a very likeable guy.

If I remember correctly, he admitted that when he's not selected that he hoped the team lose. I don't think that's an uncommon outlook necessarily, but I found how candid he was a bit strange and it's an odd thing to say.

Seemed a bit of a weird bloke and I bet we paid him an inordinate amount. Glad we don't seem to buy players like him anymore, we didn't half learn the hard way.

10 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Frustrating as there was a player in there somewhere. I remember just after Del arrived he played just behind the striker for a couple of games and with less time on the ball it forced him to play it quickly and he looked really good. Then he reverted to type again.

I think the one that stands out is Millwall away, he played just behind Maynard and ran the show, think we won 2-1 with Fontaine and Nyatanga at CB, so glad we've moved on from those days!

54 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

In fairness he played a lot of football in the bottom half of the championship and league one so he does have a point.

There is no point denying that a lot of teams like to go long and play the percentage game at those levels I.e if we hoof it long 5 times it will probably drop to one of our players at some point  (I include us in that as his time here was up there with some of the worst football we have seen down the gate.) This is what he is pointing at.

But the point he does ignore is that when teams tried to play the ball along the floor- he was still shit. And the point of going long was probably to avoid having to have him as the focal point of the team.

I see your point .

3 hours ago, Super said:

Was truly awful for us in the Nicky Hunt Category.

Not even in the same ball park as Nicky Hunt! 

NK was frustrating and hardly had a massive impact here, but he wasn't that bad and not often utilised in his best position, as he was in the previously mentioned Millwall away game, where he was excellent. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

NK was frustrating and hardly had a massive impact here, but he wasn't that bad and not often utilised in his best position, as he was in the previously mentioned Millwall away game, where he was excellent. 

Most of us thought Hunt was rubbish, We all thought Kilkenny would be a success here can't think of anyone who has been a bigger let down.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Most of us thought Hunt was rubbish, We all thought Kilkenny would be a success here can't think of anyone who has been a bigger let down.

Like I said, frustrating? = yes. 

As bad as Nicky Hunt..? = not in a million years! 

4 hours ago, cider-manc said:

He was always good at pointing, do you get my point?

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I got the impression that he didn't want to play that high up and it was not the manager moving him back but him moving himself back.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Kilkenny tells his new club that in England the midfield is ignored .

Just to say it was probably only when he played there .

Does he have a point ? 

So Major,  what club is he playing for now? as you said that in England the midfield is ignored, I presume it is a foreign club. Do tell us please, which club has his pointy favours!

He's at Melbourne.  To be honest, I think Kilkenny'll do well in Australia.  The major problem to me wasn't that English clubs bypass the midfield but that he's not really suited to the high-tempo game and what he had was passing but not a lot else.  In a league with weaker players he'll have more time to get on the ball and pass it without being put under pressure and be able to use his strengths without being undermined by his limitations.

He did a good job for us, particularly in the play-offs when he came back into the side and was such a calming influence on the rest of the players. However once we got promoted he was way out of his depth at Championship level. Only really done it at this level with Leeds.

Good luck to him.

Archived