IGNORED

Bristol City WFC

Leveller

Great to see another Bristol Sport team doing well. I noticed the Bristol Flyers beat an American select team the other day. Would be nice if we could build them a stadium closer to AG. Nothing big or expensive of course but the one they play in now is a little embarrassing compared to the arenas they go to. 

13 minutes ago, NYTRAM said:

Went to watch it Saturday due to the Sister clubs tournament in the afternoon.  Crowd was almost 1k. Good football played should have been 4-0 up by ht. I think there is a big step up to the top league though. 

Well they know all about that quality don't they; this is, after all, the only season a Bristol Ladies team have not been in the top flight. 

Remember also that City Women shut down when both they and Rovers were in the top flight. Later City took over Rovers changing the name to Bristol Academy and then this is the first season the name City has returned.

56 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Great to see another Bristol Sport team doing well. I noticed the Bristol Flyers beat an American select team the other day. Would be nice if we could build them a stadium closer to AG. Nothing big or expensive of course but the one they play in now is a little embarrassing compared to the arenas they go to. 

If we have the Wickes and Braby site in the future there is enough room for a hotel and 2-3,000 indoor arena that would be great for basketball / tennis / badmington / music venues - 

2 hours ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Does anyone know what kind of attendances they get? I noticed that they seem to do a lot of advertising and community work in Bristols more ethnic areas, I know that the game has traditionally, (although not exclusively) been popular with the afro-caribbean communities across the world and that seems to make sense, but I wondered what effect it is having. 

We are looking to attend a game in the new future so I will see first hand the facilities they use, watching the video of JET attending a game a couple of years back it looked like a school sports hall, is that accurate? 

If that is true, then you are right a proper stadium would be better, something that could double as a venue for Jobs Fairs and the like maybe?

Sorry just spotted @Fiale has posted something similar.

2 hours ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Not suggesting anything like it for us, but the arena Galatasaray basketball play is great, especially the atmosphere when they have 12000 in there

It's an academy they play in isn't it? It does look like a school sports hall. The idea above about the Wikes and Braby site and it having the hotel built there, Could easily have the arena underneath the hotel. I'm sure a 2000 seater wouldn't cost that much and would really tie things together having the men's football, rugby and basketball all in one area. I'm sure more would attend if it's closer to AG. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Does anyone know what kind of attendances they get? I noticed that they seem to do a lot of advertising and community work in Bristols more ethnic areas, I know that the game has traditionally, (although not exclusively) been popular with the afro-caribbean communities across the world and that seems to make sense, but I wondered what effect it is having. 

We are looking to attend a game in the new future so I will see first hand the facilities they use, watching the video of JET attending a game a couple of years back it looked like a school sports hall, is that accurate? 

If that is true, then you are right a proper stadium would be better, something that could double as a venue for Jobs Fairs and the like maybe?

Sorry just spotted @Fiale has posted something similar.

Had a look in on Saturday there were a few very tall Flyers in there training.

It is just a sports hall with pull out seats down one side. Not a big capacity.

Other than that it's a nice facility.

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

If we have the Wickes and Braby site in the future there is enough room for a hotel and 2-3,000 indoor arena that would be great for basketball / tennis / badmington / music venues - 

I believe that if you come back to Ashton Gate in about 5 years time there is every likelihood that you'll see a hotel and 4K arena where Wicks' & Dreams currently are. 

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I believe that if you come back to Ashton Gate in about 5 years time there is every likelihood that you'll see a hotel and 4K arena where Wicks' & Dreams currently are. 

I always thought that Bristol Flyers might try and take up residence in the new "Bristol Arena", should it ever be built!

44 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

I always thought that Bristol Flyers might try and take up residence in the new "Bristol Arena", should it ever be built!

Good shout.  Would be good to maximize revenue so a resident team sport makes sense.  May even go myself.

Been to see women once and really enjoyed it.

13 hours ago, NYTRAM said:

Went to watch it Saturday due to the Sister clubs tournament in the afternoon.  Crowd was almost 1k. Good football played should have been 4-0 up by ht. I think there is a big step up to the top league though. 

I was at that too with my daughter's side.  Was really impressed by the football we played.  We were sharper, fitter, quicker slicker and should have scored 6 or 7.  Number 7  Arthur was excellent, seemed to have a lot more time on the ball than anyone else on the pitch.   

The Women are certainly entertaining, and with some concerted effort they should find themselves going back to the top flight again this season. With Yeovil crashing 2-3 to the Bees yesterday it's thrown the race wide open - any two from four now.

Looking at the run-in, Everton have to go to Yeovil and Durham, with City at home in between. Yeovil have two winnable games otherwise (if they don't get beaten by the Bees again!), and Durham could well find their last games the easiest, but they are currently a point off the pace. City can (and have stated the aim to) go up as Champions; their next (and last) home game is against Durham (Sep 24) and then the game at Everton (Oct 29) may be the decider. I agree that the WSL1 level is going to be a real test, but one that should be relished.

Interestingly enough, the next year will see a change with regards to the leagues. There will be a short season (Spring Series) with no promotion or relegation, which will pave the way for the Women to play a traditional Autumn-Spring calendar later in the year, so City can establish themselves at the top table.

COYR!

On 12 septembre 2016 at 09:23, havanatopia said:

Well they know all about that quality don't they; this is, after all, the only season a Bristol Ladies team have not been in the top flight. 

Remember also that City Women shut down when both they and Rovers were in the top flight. Later City took over Rovers changing the name to Bristol Academy and then this is the first season the name City has returned.

If only SL had done the same for the men's football ! 

• Admin
14 hours ago, napper said:

From Wikipedia

The bottom team of the WSL 1 at the end of each season will be replaced by the WSL 2 champion in the next season; however, for the 2015 and 2016 seasons both the WSL 2 champions and runners-up will be promoted as part of the league's planned expansion.

Cheers @napper - guess all to do with the upcoming changes to the womens league's

Archived