IGNORED

Help Required for NEW BCFC website

exAtyeoMax

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

so, it's paying for the rights that makes it expensive? When BCFC leave the FLi network, will it make anything cheaper?

Not a clue, all home footage is obviously free as we own it. I don't know if we'd pay the other team, EFL or my next door neighbour for the rights to footage we don't own.

However, the online storage is basically the only thing you will need to pay for once it's set up. Which, for the figures we're talking about, is minuscule.

The only bit I care about is the online commentary and the ability to listen to it via a mobile app.

I'm happy to pay for this content within reason (the current rate seems reasonable but I'd pay a little more if the club's costs are increased by not being part of the network) but as an exile I'd be extremely disappointed if I could no longer listen to matches.

16 hours ago, Milo said:

15 years ago was not long after the birth of Friends Reunited. I know that many City fans enjoy City Player and see it as value for money. And I know that the revenue is pretty reasonable (I think there’s over 1,000 subscribers so £60K+ a year matters). But maybe there’s something in the fact that Friends Reunited’s £7.50 a year ultimately led to its demise earlier this year while free-to-use Facebook is worth £283bn.

If we want to build a community around our football club, and particularly around the other Clubs in the BS stable, the teams have to be accessible. Everyone has to feel welcome and involved. If you’ve got a great interview or a few minutes of match highlights, let everyone see it. Make the free to view content so good that the vaguely interested supporters can dip in, research and get enthusiastic. If you “tease” potential supporters with a 60 second clip of something and follow up with a subscribe link you’ll make that viewer feel on the outside and not part of the Club. Do not compromise the quality of the website content because you want subscribers, make it outstanding; excite and engage potential new as well as existing supporters.

Give it a trial season of everything free with great HD content and see if the interest it generates creates greater financial revenues through ticket sales and advertising than you could ever hope to from subscribers.

Well thought out remarks there Milo. It does not seem 15 years that we have been shackled to the, sorry all but, inept FLi. The content quality, its delivery and its design leaves an enormous amount to be desired. Constant delay with commentary, lag, failure of the live league table to even be viewable before disappearing before ones eyes just a few of the more obvious failings. Good riddance and hallelujah and what an opportunity for BCFC to take control.

I agree that this could be a one off chance to open the lid to more UK based support, especially south west, but also overseas where the clubs who offer a very decent holistic type approach that is well designed, with great quality video content and script (writing is vastly inferior to what it was) will capture long term support and, by definition, long term revenue; - pushing for revenue for every piece of content is a short sighted vision that your friends reunited example exemplifies only too well vis a vis facebook.

Perhaps City should think outside the box.. something that is over and above, not just BCFC, but above Bristol Sport so that it becomes a 'go to' portal that just so happens to be subtly sponsored by Bristol Sport....

9 hours ago, AdamB said:

We're still awaiting some clarity from the EFL but there is likely to be some elements that FLi retain the rights to and which they will dictate how we, as a non-FLi club, utilise this content. Eg commentary being one area where under our rights agreement with FLi to still broadcast this, we must place it behind a paywall. 

Aston Villa utilise the same audio/visual company as we use currently, StreamAMG, and offer the 60-second option you speak of, which I like. 

Another year on and there will be the option for clubs to offer pay-per-view games to fans outside of the UK and Ireland. This again must be paywalled. There are also some exceptions to this (can't be a Sky game or main highlights match on C5).

It's a good debate to be had, as Player HD provides one of our largest revenue streams (mainly because it is also linked to online clip rights for Sky) but it's the only option we have in the FLi deal; we don't have an option to say make videos all free and bring in advertising revenue on clips instead.

Adam

And per above Adam.. by shrouding the experience of all the sport above the football and the rugby you can take greater control, offer far greater content and reach a far wider audience than you would otherwise have no chance of achieving.. if its done right it does not have to look or feel in anyway a crafty cunning plan. Although in reality... it is.  

8 hours ago, Milo said:

Thanks for the background Adam. Will you have control over pricing? If so, I think £54 per year is not an inclusive and accessible price. It's a price that in my opinion attracts a mix of the hardcore, those with high disposable income and the desperate expats. By contrast, Bayern Munich charge £31 per year and Barcelona charge £28 (£21 to members) per year to watch the cream of footballing talent in domestic and European matches. An argument that if you halve the cost you might double the subscribers would be fatuous; my view is simply that if we want a Club that's the sporting heartbeat of Bristol and the community it has to grow its fan base, and to that end the sales and promotion of its core product (the match day experience) should be a greater priority than selling expensive exclusive content to the already-hooked. 

8 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It's just over a £1 per week, over 12 months (I know the season doesn't last that long but the payment is over 12 months). I don't think it's prohibitive. I'm a student and don't have disposable income, and I think it is good value for the amount of content you get, plus I listen to commentary on the player because I don't live in the Radio Bristol area.

For those of us overseas it is for sure a bit of a lifeline but that is only because we are a captive audience. However, one can relatively easily get round the subscription by setting up a proxy server; i don't do it but many do, i.e. Radio Bristol only for 'UK' listeners. So, as Milo says, the idea of charging for a lot of the content is a bit self defeating.

The purported 60k a year really is only a tiny drop in the ocean of what it could be if it was done in a more holistic, all encompassing, manner. Of course it all comes down to budgets and if City were to embark on a Sports Portal it would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds no question and you would see no return on it for some years. Where you could is with subtle advertising, some paid for content, outside of the FL fees Adam talks about and of course all the non-City related stuff. You also offshore all of the back office management to the nation with the largest tech savvy and English speaking low wage structure country... the Philippines ! ;)

51 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Well thought out remarks there Milo. It does not seem 15 years that we have been shackled to the, sorry all but, inept FLi. The content quality, its delivery and its design leaves an enormous amount to be desired. Constant delay with commentary, lag, failure of the live league table to even be viewable before disappearing before ones eyes just a few of the more obvious failings. Good riddance and hallelujah and what an opportunity for BCFC to take control.

I agree that this could be a one off chance to open the lid to more UK based support, especially south west, but also overseas where the clubs who offer a very decent holistic type approach that is well designed, with great quality video content and script (writing is vastly inferior to what it was) will capture long term support and, by definition, long term revenue; - pushing for revenue for every piece of content is a short sighted vision that your friends reunited example exemplifies only too well vis a vis facebook.

Perhaps City should think outside the box.. something that is over and above, not just BCFC, but above Bristol Sport so that it becomes a 'go to' portal that just so happens to be subtly sponsored by Bristol Sport....

And per above Adam.. by shrouding the experience of all the sport above the football and the rugby you can take greater control, offer far greater content and reach a far wider audience than you would otherwise have no chance of achieving.. if its done right it does not have to look or feel in anyway a crafty cunning plan. Although in reality... it is.  

For those of us overseas it is for sure a bit of a lifeline but that is only because we are a captive audience. However, one can relatively easily get round the subscription by setting up a proxy server; i don't do it but many do, i.e. Radio Bristol only for 'UK' listeners. So, as Milo says, the idea of charging for a lot of the content is a bit self defeating.

The purported 60k a year really is only a tiny drop in the ocean of what it could be if it was done in a more holistic, all encompassing, manner. Of course it all comes down to budgets and if City were to embark on a Sports Portal it would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds no question and you would see no return on it for some years. Where you could is with subtle advertising, some paid for content, outside of the FL fees Adam talks about and of course all the non-City related stuff. You also offshore all of the back office management to the nation with the largest tech savvy and English speaking low wage structure country... the Philippines ! ;)

I suppose you could get sponsorship for the MatchDayThread…:cool:

• Admin

All I would add, is think back to what was an award winning website, before that awful FL shite was forced on us and go back to simplicity of use, user friendly to find information, clear categories, up to date and relevant articles, club history and perhaps a ' on this day in 19xx' section when a pertinent bit of the clubs history, on or off the pitch, was created.

I like the loan watch idea, also, one that was often mentioned in the past, an injury update section, when estimated returns and updates are posted.

The points about player cost hit a chord with me, I have never subscribed, right from the start I felt aggrieved at paying for what was free before FL intervention.

How about an online version of the match programme?  Maybe buy online and get a voucher to get a hardcopy at the ground or have a cheaper online one as costs are less?  

Maybe a link to the match day programme could be emailed out as soon as it is published as part of building anticipation for the game?  I get my son a programme every home game.  Be great if he could read it ahead of the game and at half time on his phone as long as the design was adaptive.  Would save your programme getting soggy on way home in winter rain.

Maybe we could buy away programme that way too?  Or at least sell ours to away fans?  Away fans could read it on their way to the game.

We could include offers, events, competitions aimed at particular games e.g. when the bands are playing we could advertise this in the online programme so people know in advance and plan around it.

There's been a couple of threads recently about minutes silence at games for fellow reds that have passed away.  Could there be somewhere on the site to post these?  Maybe the family could include a photo and some brief words or even a short video? It would have to be moderated by someone at the club's of course, but I think it would really cement the club as being part of the community and remind us that we are all one family. 

Maybe this could be the basis on an end of season Roll of Honour on the big screens to play the the whole stadium?

How about being able to preorder food and drink from the website for a game? Or via an app?  A barcode to your phone which could be scanned at the till and order processed.

Club would have a better idea of demand ahead of game.  Fans would be rewarded with dedicated concession stand to collect their preorders.  These wouldn't even need tills, just scanners to verify orders.  Fans could order for collection at half time or before game.

Would need to make damned sure you could fulfil prepaid orders though or there'd be lots of complaints.  

Maybe enable orders to be placed during first half for collection at half time?  Not the same lead time as ordering before the game but at least staff would have some idea of demand and know to get another 200 pasties warmed up for 45 minutes time.  Maybe if orders were linked to a persons seat number (STH) they could be delivered at half time to groups of people sat in same proximity.  No cash needs to change hands as all prepaid and with WiFi everywhere in ground connectivity not an issue.

Delivering preorders to seat would free up concession for cash payers too.

17 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The points about player cost hit a chord with me, I have never subscribed, right from the start I felt aggrieved at paying for what was free before FL intervention.

So far as I can remember online commentary and video highlights didn't exist before the "World" sites launched.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't have sprung up anyway, and they might have been provided for free, but I don't remember them existing online before.

I build websites for a living, so I've put my name forward. I also know a few of the guys that have worked on the Bristol Sport site(s), and I hope they pitch for the main build.

While it's about time that the club look towards a new website, I've seen countless clients blow a ton of money on a website, thinking it'll solve all of their problems. What actually happens is the website highlights all of their problems, because a website is only as good as its content.

If Bristol City build a new website, I hope they take it seriously, and look to improve the online experience across all platforms.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

I build websites for a living, so I've put my name forward. I also know a few of the guys that have worked on the Bristol Sport site(s), and I hope they pitch for the main build.

While it's about time that the club look towards a new website, I've seen countless clients blow a ton of money on a website, thinking it'll solve all of their problems. What actually happens is the website highlights all of their problems, because a website is only as good as its content.

If Bristol City build a new website, I hope they take it seriously, and look to improve the online experience across all platforms.

I think the site should be aimed towards fans, as well as the corporate side. Make it individual, unique to BCFC. It could be really good

What I would like to see, not to much corporate stuff - can we leave that to the BS sport site ? Obviously we need a section to pimp out AG but lets not make it the main focus.

Fixture list (all our teams U21's etc)

Live Results

Live Table

Teams - with proper profiles, a little about the players when you hover over their portrait... the whole city setup not just first team

Academy - whats going on, footage etc

Match day - upto date news on expected crowd, team news, ticket availability, transport, how to get their etc

Tickets and hospitality - all events, matches, current stadium picture showing available seats etc

Stadium - Ashton Gate, History pictures and the history  of AG, the areas, stands, bars, facilities, opening times, fan zone, where can you can't you go, bookings, no bookings etc 

Shop - full items, not just what we have in the current shop - we don't even have to have things in store as most online stuff is made on/to order so we should have a big range of things

Fans and Community tab - everything fan related, what we are doing, crowds, junior / senior Reds, Apps, wifi info, forum details, memorial page, projects (Atyeo statue etc), community team news, coaching

Media - footage of games, goals, training, interviews

The whole right side to be the latest news - papers, blogs, twitter etc 

ScreenShot_20160921193308.pngScreenShot_20160921193259.pngScreenShot_20160921193215.png

no flash (always a pain for loading etc) but very visual, easy to navigate, intuitive, and - well fun... 

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I would imagine it will be based on the same system as the BS/BR sites

Archived