IGNORED

Malaga

Big Red Rich

So I'm looking for a cheap weekend away & have found flights to malaga for £40. Given I've not got much time over there I don't want to travel too far so the question is what is there to do, certainly in the winter? Anyone a regular or live out there? Hotels are cheap as it's off peak so can do a weekend all in for about £75 each. The booze out there is still pretty cheap despite the poor € isn't it?

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've been - was a bit underwhelmed really. Beaches are manmade, pretty ugly for a southern Spanish city. 

It would be worth the hassle and cost to fly to Malaga but spend the weekend in Granada which is about an hour and a half away. Beautiful city, fantastic restaurants, loads to see and amazing landscape.

Granada is beautiful and (watch me massacre the spelling) the Alhambrha is a great day all on its own. In Malaga itself there is the Picasso Museum and you could if you fancy a long day out pop down to Gibraltar and see the monkeys

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've been - was a bit underwhelmed really. Beaches are manmade, pretty ugly for a southern Spanish city. 

It would be worth the hassle and cost to fly to Malaga but spend the weekend in Granada which is about an hour and a half away. Beautiful city, fantastic restaurants, loads to see and amazing landscape.

This.

There's not much to do in Malaga bar climbing up to the Castillo, Picasso museum or going to see the football. Granada a much better bet - you have to get a coach there which takes about 1.5hrs from memory.

Have you looked at flights to Bilbao mate? Only 1hr 20m from Bristol and a lovely city with plenty to see and great grub!

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This.

There's not much to do in Malaga bar climbing up to the Castillo, Picasso museum or going to see the football. Granada a much better bet - you have to get a coach there which takes about 1.5hrs from memory.

Have you looked at flights to Bilbao mate? Only 1hr 20m from Bristol and a lovely city with plenty to see and great grub!

Good call . San Sebastien also a lovely city but a bit wet in winter !

Seems a lot of negativity on here, but it's a city I visit regularly and I love it there.

I usually visit around the time of San Juan (in June) where's there's a huge festival on the beach. The nightlife is fantastic if you're in to that - although you'd struggle to find anywhere that caters for English/American music aside from a few Irish bars. 

I wouldn't agree that it's ugly either. The cathedral and surrounding area is absolutely stunning, the view from the Castillo de Gibralfaro is beautiful, and the marina area is very nice and modern. I'll agree the beach isn't the most attractive, though there are many really nice beaches a short taxi ride away.

As mentioned above though, there's a lot to see and visit in the whole Andalucía area.

On 9/19/2016 at 16:14, Big Red Rich said:

So I'm looking for a cheap weekend away & have found flights to malaga for £40. Given I've not got much time over there I don't want to travel too far so the question is what is there to do, certainly in the winter? Anyone a regular or live out there? Hotels are cheap as it's off peak so can do a weekend all in for about £75 each. The booze out there is still pretty cheap despite the poor € isn't it?

Fly into Malaga, get a cab down the coast to Torremolinos, a sleepy fishing village, and embrace the real Spain.

On 9/20/2016 at 03:22, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Granada is beautiful and (watch me massacre the spelling) the Alhambrha is a great day all on its own. In Malaga itself there is the Picasso Museum and you could if you fancy a long day out pop down to Gibraltar and see the monkeys

Truly is a beautiful city.  Well worth the trip.

“Do not cry like a woman for that which you could not defend as a man.”

On 9/19/2016 at 22:14, Big Red Rich said:

DO NOT: repeat: DO NOT go to Malaga.

It is FULL of pissed-up Welsh.

If you do go, you deserve what you get.

:punish:

Uncle TFR

On 20/09/2016 at 09:22, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Why go to Gibraltar?  Cheaper to go to the Mem.

22 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

DO NOT: repeat: DO NOT go to Malaga.

It is FULL of pissed-up Welsh.

If you do go, you deserve what you get.

:punish:

Uncle TFR

Not sure you needed to add pissed-up.  That is default setting for the Welsh

Archived