IGNORED

Wes Burns on TV tonight

Ashtonwurzel

Watching this match and the standard is atrocious, the refereeing is appalling and the diving and and cheating is up there with some of the worst I've seen.

Scottish football is utter tripe , L1 standard at best but I think most L2 clubs would do ok in the SPL.

1 minute ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Oxford would have been a good shout I thought. Has MA still got good relations with them ? I was thinking a couple of our youngsters may have ended up there. Seems to tick most boxes re distance etc.

He's already been there and didn't get on particularly well

How good actually is he? Whenever I've seen him, he looks like he's very quick, good in the air and exciting - admittedly though I've always thought he had real limitations in his game.

I'd really want him to come back and be a first team player like Joe or Bobby but I don't think he's quite at their level. (I mean as a comparison to when they were his age)

People that've watched him more - could he be a first team player here?

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How good actually is he? Whenever I've seen him, he looks like he's very quick, good in the air and exciting - admittedly though I've always thought he had real limitations in his game.

I'd really want him to come back and be a first team player like Joe or Bobby but I don't think he's quite at their level. (I mean as a comparison to when they were his age)

People that've watched him more - could he be a first team player here?

Very erratic. Tonight he was quick, but his passing was mostly wayward and he can't beat a man with a trick, only pace. Missed a difficult chance 1st half, He got better as the game went on but that's not saying that much and he appears to lack an end product other than winning corners.  Was surprised to see him go off, but then they scored when he was off the pitch, so maybe that says something.

Impact sub at best in our current team. 

He seemed to play very well at fleetwood according to their match reports and that was a team in a relegation fight at the time.

Did LJ not reject a loan and permanent transfer bid from scunny? Top of the league at the moment so maybe would struggle to get games there but he i dont think hes getting enough game time at aberdeen he needs to be starting!

Having watched (rather, endured) the Aberdeen match on TV I fear that Wes' development will be hindered rather than helped by his time there. The standard and quality is really, really poor. Our game this season is built upon slick interplay and quick passing moves - concepts which seem to be a million miles removed from Scottish football where thud and blunder is still the order of the day.

Wes was generally camped out on the right wing waiting to receive the ball to then speed past the carthorse full back, always on the outside, before delivering a poor quality cross on the run in the general direction of the box. I saw no tricks or feints; no invention. He's bulked up a bit, which is good allowing him to work more effectively in defence where he made some good challenges but going forward he looked disappointingly one dimensional. Were he to return right now, we'd see the same Wes who left us with nothing more added to his game; on the other hand, he'd find himself to have slipped so much further behind his peer group of Reid and Bryan. Wes needs to return here in January, IMO and be re-educated because he can be learning nothing of use to him or us by remaining there. Alternatively look to loan him to a top half L1 team where his game may actually develop and be more easily monitored.

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Having watched (rather, endured) the Aberdeen match on TV I fear that Wes' development will be hindered rather than helped by his time there. The standard and quality is really, really poor. Our game this season is built upon slick interplay and quick passing moves - concepts which seem to be a million miles removed from Scottish football where thud and blunder is still the order of the day.

Wes was generally camped out on the right wing waiting to receive the ball to then speed past the carthorse full back, always on the outside, before delivering a poor quality cross on the run in the general direction of the box. I saw no tricks or feints; no invention. He's bulked up a bit, which is good allowing him to work more effectively in defence where he made some good challenges but going forward he looked disappointingly one dimensional. Were he to return right now, we'd see the same Wes who left us with nothing more added to his game; on the other hand, he'd find himself to have slipped so much further behind his peer group of Reid and Bryan. Wes needs to return here in January, IMO and be re-educated because he can be learning nothing of use to him or us by remaining there. Alternatively look to loan him to a top half L1 team where his game may actually develop and be more easily monitored.

I agree the standard is shockingly poor but more worrying is why Burns isn't standing out in such a poor league. Just my opinion but don't think he will play for us again.

1 minute ago, Super said:

I agree the standard is shockingly poor but more worrying is why Burns isn't standing out in such a poor league.

Good question. I think that tactically, he's performing the role that his coach (McInnes) is requesting of him, which isn't at all progressive. It is however concerning that he's looking so ordinary in that role. I expected to see more flair from Wes although I sense he's discovered that, like Mars Bars, skilful players get battered in Scotland.

10 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Very erratic. Tonight he was quick, but his passing was mostly wayward and he can't beat a man with a trick, only pace. Missed a difficult chance 1st half, He got better as the game went on but that's not saying that much and he appears to lack an end product other than winning corners.  Was surprised to see him go off, but then they scored when he was off the pitch, so maybe that says something.

Impact sub at best in our current team. 

I think it was his first start for a while so perhaps a little ring rusty (. Not now Rudolph ) .

I believe in Wes , I just hope he can notch a goal or two to boost his confidence. 

Again , like Joe or Bobby he has survived our Academy and the various managers and coaches that have graced our fine club .

He has not had the sort of football éducation that Tammy has enjoyed and yet he's holding up well In the Scottish Prem.

38 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Good question. I think that tactically, he's performing the role that his coach (McInnes) is requesting of him, which isn't at all progressive. It is however concerning that he's looking so ordinary in that role. I expected to see more flair from Wes although I sense he's discovered that, like Mars Bars, skilful players get battered in Scotland.

Interestingly enough ,Derek Adams- the manager at Plymouth says this :

"There is no doubt that teams in League Two could play in the Scottish Premiership. No question about it," he says.

As he's pretty experienced in Scottish football, I think this sums  up the level that Wes is playing in albeit that Aberdeen are one of the bigger/better teams.

I've kept a close eye on his progress by reading the match reports and he's not doing too badly but nor is he a revelation- last time out he won the penalty that sealed the win. My best guess is that he'll come back to us a better, stronger player but whether that's enough to be anywhere near our first team is another matter.It would be great if he gets another chance at BS3 but time is running out for him given the competition in our current squad.

Archived