IGNORED

What a day out!

Shtanley

49 minutes ago, PaulCheesley said:

Have agree with comments about Paterson's performance, he was outstanding. Funny how his signing was so low key, just appeared out the blue and introduced at half time. Could actually turn out to be one of the more important  signings. 

I really felt sorry for him at the time TBH. I think City only did it that way to try and deflect attention from all the rumours that were flying around that day about Kodjia going to Derby.

We were also one down and playing poorly so that didn`t help either.

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I really felt sorry for him at the time TBH. I think City only did it that way to try and deflect attention from all the rumours that were flying around that day about Kodjia going to Derby.

We were also one down and playing poorly so that didn`t help either.

We had no idea what was happening in our section - half the crowd were grabbing/going for drinks / food / piss and there was some blugh blugh blarrr blarr on the tannoy announcing something to a half empty stadium about someone... felt sorry for the lad....

7 hours ago, Olé said:

Paterson was sensational, Nottingham Forest reserves must be some team. 

How we just pick a player like that "off the street" without any bother or competition even from his prior club must be up there as one of life's mysteries with Tom Cruise, the Bermuda Triangle, and how working in the Bristol Rovers ticket office is advertised as a full-time job. Saw glimpses on his debut as sub at Rotherham and yet again just a great little footballer, movement, passing, fantastic composure.

Easy to say, but honestly for half an hour yesterday that was plain and simple the best I've seen City play in 25 years a City fan. To qualify that I would point out as contenders that Boxing Day game against Millwall in the 90's where we battered them from the off, some of the stuff under GJ in Marvin Elliott's first season, and the games to close out promotion two years ago (Orient A, Swindon H, Bradford A).

I think we finally saw the working blueprint for LJ's football and my god was it brilliant. I've commented a bunch of times this season from away games about us not playing so well but clearly trying to play a football that involves an overload of passes outside the box, a degree of patience to work the opportunities to shoot. Today was this game but played with pace and purpose and confidence to shoot.

People will look at the result and assume Fulham were **** (and to be fair their strikers seem to have based their game entirely on Junior Bent) but in the first half once we scored (my preparation for which somewhat clouded by the ridiculous stewarding) they had absolutely run the game for 45 and other City teams of old would have folded. Not only did we not, we soaked it up then battered them second half.

The football after the break was out of this world. The way LJ/MA have built this team I think there's a belief running through these guys that if they pass to a teammate they won't end up seeing a shanked long ball into row Z of the Matt Hill/Bradley Orr variety. These are all ball-playing footballers to a man and the confidence in one another on the ball is obvious. Pass, move, pass - it's okay, I'll get it back.

For half an hour yesterday we terrified them. Running at opponents, faultlessly accurate passing and decision making on the ball (really what has let down the LJ brand football in a few prior matches) and players always looking for the ball or prepared to take on defenders, to the extent that wave upon wave of attack developed thoughtfully (and quickly) into clear chances rather than fizzling out needlessly.

I nearly expected to see more Freeman bashing on here of the like we got last week because "it's all step overs and no end product" and to be fair, it was for an hour yesterday, but I think people fail to see what he achieves just by occupying defenders and trying to take on opponents, even if it doesn't come off. He did the hard work of grinding down their full backs yesterday, I was so pleased he got his goal.

It's all been said about Tammy. Tomlin, best game of the season yesterday by a country mile, men against boys, some of the touches and ideas oozed class. Probably not MOM but not far off and some of the wizardry is up there with the very best of Jacki. Fulham could not live with him. As with others on here (and I've said it before this season) best player on the pitch is Bobby Reid. We've got some player.

Honestly it's comedy some of the reasons people have given in the past about why this guy wouldn't make it. You got a comprehensive rebuttal of the lot yesterday. "Too small and lightweight" - ran about 60 yards yesterday to close down a striker who was through on goal, muscled him off the ball; one touch passing in every thing we did well (as he was at Rotherham) and of course yet again great finishing.

I've always thought Bobby was the poor relation of Joe Bryan in how fans treat him (for some reason, Bristol boy that he is, he isn't "one of our own", and the chants aren't sung with quite so much relish) but yesterday there was one moment when his name being sung was about the loudest thing heard all day - and well deserved it was. I'm sure LJ is proud such efforts are rewarded by this acknowledgement.

Agree with most of your ratings, none from me as I really don't know where to start when our baseline performance was an 8 or more, and for many of the players going forward, we're talking 9s and 10s. They simply did everything right and that LJ will have asked for. Fulham are by no means the best team in the division but they're also no mugs, we will beat 75% of the division playing as we did yesterday.

It's an absolute privilege to see this team and this club gel. Tell your friends, tell your co-workers. We should be selling out games home and away - it's enthralling. In a moment of hangover-inspired giddy optimism: if you knew you had a Guardiola-era Barcelona on your doorstep (out-footballing opponents) you'd probably pop down to see them. We have that AND it's a young team that will keep growing.

And breathe.

And breathe again........

Great post. I keep reading and hearing that people would be ' happy ' with a mid - table finish......well people need to start raising their expectations because this squad of players and coaching staff are going to do (and should do) alot better than that.

I said at the start of the season that I think we might do something a bit special, nothing I've seen so far has changed that.

8 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

And breathe again........

Great post. I keep reading and hearing that people would be ' happy ' with a mid - table finish......well people need to start raising their expectations because this squad of players and coaching staff are going to do (and should do) alot better than that.

I said at the start of the season that I think we might do something a bit special, nothing I've seen so far has changed that.

Wigan first half?  Derby first half?  Newcastle all game?

Alan Curbishley said it on Channel 5 last night:  a team will look good for a couple of games and sail up the table; then they have a few bad results and it doesn't look so rosy.

They say your position after 10 games is a good indication of where you will be at the end of the season.  On that evidence we should finish around 10th.  Is that a bit special?

2 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Alan Curbishley said it on Channel 5 last night:  a team will look good for a couple of games and sail up the table; then they have a few bad results and it doesn't look so rosy.

They say your position after 10 games is a good indication of where you will be at the end of the season.  On that evidence we should finish around 10th.  Is that a bit special?

Beat me to it. Great to hear the positives from two games v Fulham. However we were lucky not to let in a couple more just a week ago against Derby who are right down the bottom. So I can't get too carried away on the basis of a good week. I'm sure Lee will be keeping their feet on the ground.

After ten games they say is an indication of where you'll finish?  I don't buy into that rubbish. Derby going to be in the bottom three come may ? Maybe if you'll be competitive or not? Something we have been in all our games. We should be sat on 19 points but for ridiculous set of events at Rotherham and Wednesday. Wigan first half? Could say first game of the season, new faces ect.

Derby- ridiculous formation started by LJ

Newcastle looked the better team after they scored.

Just because we haven't been brilliant all season doesn't mean we can't achieve anything? I can only see us getting better.

27 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Oh and to add to above(forgot to quote)......we are in the fourth round of a cup. For us, that is very special :whistle:

Archived