IGNORED

Forest look tired and in need of a break !!!

myol'man

On your forum @Chiva fans are asking the usual questions of where to eat and drink before the match. You may want to consider the fanzone at the ground where a variety of offerings are available from many outlets, accompanied by generally very decent musical entertainment. It's been great to see fans mingling and chatting together. To me, its the way that football should be heading (until Millwall one day return to play us!)

If you do sample it, please come back on here and tell us of your experience. Of course, now it'll probably piss down!

@Chiva thank you for taking the time to reply with such a detailed and insightful answer. I think you are spot on. 

It's a pleasure to have fans of other clubs like you on this forum. 

I hope you are able to make it to the match on Saturday. Are you coming down for it..? 

2 hours ago, Chiva said:

I like him in the sense that I think he has an idea of how he wants to play (positive, possession football), and that he strikes me as somebody who is competent and could be a success here - albeit in a couple of years time. I believe that a massive majority of Forest fans feel the same way, based on the fans I speak to and the consensus opinion on our forums. The problem we have is a nagging, shared concern about our chairman's patience and sense of realism. Even though Dougie Freedman didn't have many fans last season, a small majority of fans could not understand why he was sacked mid-season with no replacement lined up, considering he was performing the job expected of him. That is, he was reducing the wage bill, selling off players who could be sold, and keeping us in the Championship. We all felt the right time to sack him would have been at the end of the season when we came out of embargo, if the feeling was that the job was beyond him. So, Montanier could be a success, but there's no guarantee he'll get the time or the resources for us to find out. Fawaz wants to sell the club but isn't having much success.

The problem with judging any club in this division is the same, in that I'm only as knowledgeable as the small amount of information I was able to process. It came as no surprise to me whatsoever that you were quick to part ways with Cotterill last season. He is missing some necessary ingredient to be a Championship manager, although that is true of a lot of managers who can comfortably tune themselves into the less technical styles of League One.

I dare say we are jealous of the like of Bristol City, and Huddersfield, and teams that are successfully running their clubs within their means, without running their clubs into the ground. When I look at a team like Bristol City, I see the potential in the same way as it was there at Swansea, in that I see a method and a sense to transfer business, where players are sold at the top of their value, where young players are bought or loaned at the bottom of their value and developed into meaningful players. There is a clear rule of succession within these clubs, there is an ambition to grow which is true with the stadium expansion, there is an identity with a young manager who is a former player, and wants to build a modern-style football team that is fit and full of verve, as well as being tactically malleable both game-by-game and minute-by-minute within games themselves. These aren't necessarily qualities that are unique to any club, but at any time within a football club there is a sense of momentum, either upward or downward, and the difference I've noted between successful clubs and unsuccessful clubs is how they take advantage of their successes and how they arrest their failures.

Forest are a prime example in that the baby is often thrown out with the bath-water, because not only does the club fail on a micro-level in terms of the manager, it fails on everything else; method, finances, looking after the stadium. You visit The City Ground and you can see a fallen giant, a dilapidated stadium that plays host to an ever-decreasing standard of football, that is owned by an ever-decreasing standard of human being.

Contrast that to well-run clubs, and I suspect Bristol City can be held to that ideal, and you see why we're consistently poor. While different types of manager come to a football club, I have never noticed Lansdown change his method - he seems to keep his own counsel while being quietly ambitious, from ambitions towards the stadium and the regeneration of the surrounding area, to the football club itself. Simply being withdrawn and making decisions from that vantage point is an advantage because it ensures consistency of method, even if the ideas behind the method change, or if circumstances evolve that encourage a change in method. Football evolves all the time, and what is necessary is for clubs to make the best of their circumstances, especially at this level.

Sell high, buy low, bring as many fans as you can through the doors. Bristol City seem to be doing those three things at the minute, and ally that to a youthful vigour and you can see where things are going right. In a highly competitive division, with teams like Aston Villa and Newcastle seemingly having carte blanche at their disposal, things might yet deteriorate, but there's no reason why any team cannot aim for the play-offs, given that despite all the money spent, both those teams are very, very average at the minute.

Nice Post Fella! I think there are a few on here and around the club that need to read and take note of your comments.

I have read some crazy stuff on here regarding the Chairman, including a constant theme of cheap options being chosen as manager and how the club was in fact held back by SL. Much of that has gone away as right now we BCFC are looking good and should have more points in the bag than we do. However if LJ had not been a success (or even a bit borderline) then 45M on a stadium and unfathomable millions in backing mangers would have been ignored in the clamor to blame someone for failure particularly by some who were intent to Boo the bloke for spending two fortunes to create something in South Bristol!

However I hope you get nothing Saturday!!

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

On your forum @Chiva fans are asking the usual questions of where to eat and drink before the match. You may want to consider the fanzone at the ground where a variety of offerings are available from many outlets, accompanied by generally very decent musical entertainment. It's been great to see fans mingling and chatting together. To me, its the way that football should be heading (until Millwall one day return to play us!)

If you do sample it, please come back on here and tell us of your experience. Of course, now it'll probably piss down!

hope not, I got a 6 mile each way walk!

@Chiva Welcome and thanks for the considered reply.  

I had heard little about Burke until he was sold.  Real shame.  I certainly don't think we'd be selling 'one of our own' that that age with so much potential.  (Having a billionaire Bristolian owner helps).  It really demonstrates that the something is wrong at the heart of your club, sadly.

Finally, as a club we have learned and transformed into a modern forward thinking club and our transfer philosophy is just one facet of this.  The sale of a player like Kodjia would at one time been met with outcry from supporters, but even the most reactionary City fan can see the bigger picture and a club committed to bringing in emerging talent.  There seems be a unity now between club and fans which you need if you ever  to achieve something.  Who knows how far it will take us but we are enjoying the ride.

I have been really impressed by Paterson.  He's the sort of busy and energetic forward thinking player I love to watch and someone LJ can develop and improve.  LJ seems to be gaining a reputation for developing young player and we have seen it with one of our own, Bobby Reid, under LJ and benefited some bringing in the like of Korey Smith and Josh Brownhill who also worked with LJ.  What are your thoughts on Paterson and his departure from Forest? 

@Chiva that's the most refreshing post I've read in a long time. Not sure what you do for a living but your club would do well to employ you. You appear to be be more level headed than the rest of us footie fans. No Rose tinted glasses on your head. Well done and if your at the Gate tomorrow I hope you enjoy the atmosphere around our club, if not the result. 

Good luck for the rest of the season.  (After tomorrow but not including our own visit to 'The City Ground').

29 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bs3

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news James.

Try and arrive before 2 and hang around a bit after the game would be my advice! :rain: 

Sunny, cloudy with showers - he'll be fine, just pop in the shop and buy yourself a nice hot coffee for the walk home, and if it's raining - can we interest you in a BCFC golfing umbrella or maybe a waterproof all weather training top - already a little damp ? BCFC beach towels are available at reasonable prices, and will let you dry yourself off with renewed pride ! 

17 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

@Chiva thank you for taking the time to reply with such a detailed and insightful answer. I think you are spot on. 

It's a pleasure to have fans of other clubs like you on this forum. 

I hope you are able to make it to the match on Saturday. Are you coming down for it..? 

16 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Nice Post Fella! I think there are a few on here and around the club that need to read and take note of your comments.

I have read some crazy stuff on here regarding the Chairman, including a constant theme of cheap options being chosen as manager and how the club was in fact held back by SL. Much of that has gone away as right now we BCFC are looking good and should have more points in the bag than we do. However if LJ had not been a success (or even a bit borderline) then 45M on a stadium and unfathomable millions in backing mangers would have been ignored in the clamor to blame someone for failure particularly by some who were intent to Boo the bloke for spending two fortunes to create something in South Bristol!

However I hope you get nothing Saturday!!

Thanks guys, and no, unfortunately, I'm not coming down for the match. It's increasingly difficult to motivate myself to make 3-hour journeys while I'm still slightly embarrassed by the way the club is run (in terms of the club not paying its bills, paying players late, or generally failing to function as a reputable business at all).

Back to the Forest looking tired....strangely, this is one of my main worries for tomorrow but for us.

We put in a hell of a shift on Tuesday night.  I hope that we have a cushion by the 70 minute as I expect the last 25 to be very hard work.

2 hours ago, Chivs said:

Back to the Forest looking tired....strangely, this is one of my main worries for tomorrow but for us.

We put in a hell of a shift on Tuesday night.  I hope that we have a cushion by the 70 minute as I expect the last 25 to be very hard work.

We now have a squad to deal with the number of matches we play . We have quality players waiting to come in.

Tomlin's out , i doubt LJ will risk Little when we have Taylor Moore chomping at the bit for game time . That's two who will be replaced.

We have options and science bods who can see if a player needs replacing so I would n't worry .

Archived