IGNORED

Yannick Bolasie worth £9m to City (Merged)

Sleepy1968

21 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It's not, though, is it?

A 'sell-on' clause is precisely that, i.e. should player X be sold, we are entitled to X% of any profit over and above the amount we received as a result of the original transfer: we have no influence as to whether player X might be sold or, should he be sold, for how much.

In contrast, Third Party Ownership would enable the Third Party to influence both the timing and amount of any future sale: it is this aspect that, potentially, might lead to corruption, i.e. a Third Party owner trying to influence a sale with the sole goal of obtaining a percentage of any subsequent transfer fee rather than for pure footballing reasons.  

In essence I agree. However the counter argument is that you can own a share/interest in a company but have no say in the day to day decisions of that company. So I see how the argument can be made at least. 

Ultimately we only have an interest in certain circumstances and as such claiming sell on clauses are akin to third party ownership is a stretch only a very good lawyer could make. Jordan is neither a lawyer or a particularly good football businessman, if his track record is anything to go by!! 

Archived