IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Nottingham Forest Match Day Thread

24 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Agree with that. We seem only manage one good half each game. Got to be honest, did not remotely understand our starting eleven, (Freeman scores his first in like forever and is then rested), but even then we are making mid table sides look average, and still winning.

I do think LJ is over thinking it sometimes, but heck, getting the points on the board early.

LJ is quite clever.

He sends his team out expecting us to be behind at half time. That way he can make substitutions to change the game second half, making him look a tactical genius.

It's a very cunning plan.

Fantastic result. I felt problem 1st half was that O'Dowda, Reid and Paterson seemed to be trying to play the same free role, even though it was meant to be Reid I think. When Tomlin is there he seems to command that role. 

Fairplay to Johnson for switching it around with the players available to him. He appears to have a great knack for changing things if it's not going to plan. His learning I guess is how he gets it right from the off but for now it's great to know we have a manager and squad willing and able to change things around during the game and apply it.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Nothing to do with cleaverness. Subs in general have an impact. More to do with guts to make them. And why did they not start? 

You set up one way, and to be fair for the first 3mins we looked like we could coast (without creating too much) . Then we lost our way a little and something had to change. We now have the squad to change shape, formation and focus and fair play to LJ for doing that. Just wish we could dominate possession in the latter stages so I could relax a little. 

They were poor !

7 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Fantastic result. I felt problem 1st half was that O'Dowda, Reid and Paterson seemed to be trying to play the same free role, even though it was meant to be Reid I think. When Tomlin is there he seems to command that role. 

Fairplay to Johnson for switching it around with the players available to him. He appears to have a great knack for changing things if it's not going to plan. His learning I guess is how he gets it right from the off but for now it's great to know we have a manager and squad willing and able to change things around during the game and apply it.

Rafa commented that we have a coach and players able to change tactics successfully mid game , more than once if necessary, which was why he kept it tight at AG. Praise indeed.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Nothing to do with cleaverness. Subs in general have an impact. More to do with guts to make them. And why did they not start? 

He flooded the team with pace and one touch players who have skill but can get knocked off the ball. It could have worked, but Reid does not create as much space for Abraham as Tomlin, or hold the ball as well.  Pack seemed less positive in his passing than against Fulham or Leeds and had his poorest game for some time and goldbourne had a poor half re getting decent crosses in. 

• Like 2

Another excellent result, and again in the face of early adversity. 

This team really have spirit, and married with what looks to be a head coach canny enough to alter things at the right moment, this means we always stand a chance.

I'll say what I've said before; the fact we've not even got Smith or Mathews properly back yet (nor have seen much of Engvall either) means we've not even been able to pick from a fully fit squad, and yet we're giving it a right go.

As always the 'Magic 50' is the number I'm most concerned about, and nice to be getting closer to that.

But you have to ask; is are the favourites in this league as 'clear cut' as many made out pre-season?  I'm not so sure.

LJ's revolution rolls on, and I cannot think of a better game to return to after the two week break; love a chance to get at Cardiff.

Another small point; I was wary of the last three games - I saw them as a barometer of progress, as in the corresponding fixtures last year we'd won under LJ at Fulham, dramatically drawn at home to Leeds under Cotts, and got one of our rare pre-regime change wins home to Forest.

My hope was we could match the points tally we got from the same matches last year, which would suggest we were changing and professing if not improving.  But we've only gone and bettered those results, and now Cardiff away (a dull draw under SC last campaign) leaves us the opportunity to improve again.  I really hope we can take it.

• Like 2

So today I got off the train at Parson Street Station and walked to the ground, on the way I looked up and saw Pattersons (the catering equipment supplier) in Winterstoke Road, at this exact moment I had a remarkable premonition. I had already sensed we would win 2-1 then, for some reason, at that very moment, I knew Pato would get the winner!

• Like 2

It's early days, but I feel quite confident about City's season : the lads are showing their quality on the pitch, but they also seem to have a strong personality (especially when they get come-back wins) and good team spirit.

Let's continue in this way! :thumbsup::city:

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

So today I got off the train at Parson Street Station and walked to the ground, on the way I looked up and saw Pattersons (the catering equipment supplier) in Winterstoke Road, at this exact moment I had a remarkable premonition. I had already sensed we would win 2-1 then, for some reason, at that very moment, I knew Pato would get the winner!

Me to. Got the feeling 2-1 and Paterson to score the last one. We are à good team and hard to beat. Hope Cardiff game Will be in television. Think we Will win there. Always believe, Coyr!!!

Good win today against what seemed to be a very average Forest team. It was a poor first half from us and I was worried that maybe LJ had made too many changes from midweek, but he altered things at half time  and overall we were the better side.

What composure from Tammy for our equaliser and a great move for Paterson's goal (well deserved too after his recent performances). Brownhill did very well at right back. Things are looking good.

• Like 1