IGNORED

Tammy's Under 21's match on BT sport

Never to the dark side

Problem already found with England's system, the interchangeable way England's attacking players are playing is having its moments, but Gray just had the chance to cross but no one was in the box. Instincts of a player like Abraham would have seen him in the box ready. 

28 minutes ago, hodge said:

Choosing to play Gray out of position as a striker.

Pundits recognising Tammy's form and some surprise he's not starting.

Boothroyd choosing to play the older more experienced members of the squad to start with it seems.

Proving that problem runs deep in the English set up. Playing people out of position because they're more recognised and not playing the in form players. No doubting the talent of Redmond and Gray but they haven't exactly set it alight at their clubs this season. Redmond has been playing in the U21 forever it seems and hasn't made the step up to the senior side but still gets the nod. Time to let go and start blooding the ones that will make the step up.

10 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Boothroyd on the coaching staff of England U21s!!!!!!

Remind me again when England done anything at International level

His style of football made the 80s Wimbledon look like Barca

Didn't one of the younger teams win a tournament a few years back?

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Proving that problem runs deep in the English set up. Playing people out of position because they're more recognised and not playing the in form players. No doubting the talent of Redmond and Gray but they haven't exactly set it alight at their clubs this season. Redmond has been playing in the U21 forever it seems and hasn't made the step up to the senior side but still gets the nod. Time to let go and start blooding the ones that will make the step up.

Redmond is looking very good when he moves out wide which is just making the system look foolish really.

35 minutes ago, hodge said:

Choosing to play Gray out of position as a striker.

Pundits recognising Tammy's form and some surprise he's not starting.

Boothroyd choosing to play the older more experienced members of the squad to start with it seems.

Sure it's Gray? Redmond has been playing as a striker for Southampton this season.

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Sure it's Gray? Redmond has been playing as a striker for Southampton this season.

Bit of both, corrected myself after. Redmond is generally playing centrally (pundits said Gray would be) but they're interchanging at times when Gray is wide Redmond will be central and vice versa.

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

Redmond is looking very good when he moves out wide which is just making the system look foolish really.

It's where he's always played before this year. Maybe he can be a striker on occasions. I've thought he could get the call up last year to the senior squad. This year though he hasn't convinced me. Gray is a good wide player but other than getting a move to Leicester hasn't done too much that would be noteworthy. So to play them both out of position(going out wide anyway) is frustrating. Tammy never played championship football before but 11 games in is the top scorer. 

The English U21 is filled with too many 21-22 year olds. If they've not made the step up yet, they need to do it by making an impact in the premier league. Redmond, Chalobah, Chambers, Baker, and Ward Prowse have all been there a good while now and most can't get games for their club teams consistently. I'm not writing them off as players but they need to make their own way now. Not keep being coddled. They're not young for footballers nowadays and the u21 should be the best 18-20 year olds(or younger if they're good enough) looking to make their mark. I think it's stagnating the younger players. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It's where he's always played before this year. Maybe he can be a striker on occasions. I've thought he could get the call up last year to the senior squad. This year though he hasn't convinced me. Gray is a good wide player but other than getting a move to Leicester hasn't done too much that would be noteworthy. So to play them both out of position(going out wide anyway) is frustrating. Tammy never played championship football before but 11 games in is the top scorer. 

The English U21 is filled with too many 21-22 year olds. If they've not made the step up yet, they need to do it by making an impact in the premier league. Redmond, Chalobah, Chambers, Baker, and Ward Prowse have all been there a good while now and most can't get games for their club teams consistently. I'm not writing them off as players but they need to make their own way now. Not keep being coddled. They're not young for footballers nowadays and the u21 should be the best 18-20 year olds(or younger if they're good enough) looking to make their mark. I think it's stagnating the younger players. 

I'd argue that Redmond has consistently looked good even when he was in the Premier League with Norwich, by far their most promising player whenever I saw them. In fact I think he's continued his good form with Southampton, not shining as much, but still posing a threat to goal, with shots on goal as well as crosses. Can't really argue about the others, but Ward Prowse is their captain (and also does start fairly regularly for Southampton), you do need players with a little bit of experience to help them bed in. I remember Milner was U21 captain for a good while before moving up.

3 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I'd argue that Redmond has consistently looked good even when he was in the Premier League with Norwich, by far their most promising player whenever I saw them. In fact I think he's continued his good form with Southampton, not shining as much, but still posing a threat to goal, with shots on goal as well as crosses. Can't really argue about the others, but Ward Prowse is their captain (and also does start fairly regularly for Southampton), you do need players with a little bit of experience to help them bed in. I remember Milner was U21 captain for a good while before moving up.

No doubt you need a few but the squad is filled with older lads who maybe need to be booted to give them that reality check. Redmond last year for me should've been called up. He the most ready in the U21 but he's 22 and needs to push on a bit more now. Dangerous at club level but when does that turn into more goals and assists? I sound harsh on him but I feel these type of games would be more beneficial to guys like Taylor Moore, Tammy Abraham and the fringe 19-20 year olds in the prem like Holgate, Galloway, Gray, Holding and Loftus Cheek. 

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

So at this rate the next progression step will be England manager?

No wonder the English game is in such a state

To be fair they're not playing bad football, just missing that central striker. For all of us calling for Tammy this is his first time he's been called up and age wise could still be playing for the 19's. Just good they've got the confidence to take him with an older squad tbh.

3 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Has David James just stated he's a Bristol City fan? Seriously? I've rewound the tv to re-watch it 4 times... It seems like he did.

Probably bad wording on his half, can't say for sure he's not a Bristol City fan, but difference in being a Bristol City fan and a fan of Bristol City so to say.

Archived