IGNORED

Boxing McGuigan wants mental health fund

Major Isewater

It is an art form. The 'sweet science' and probably the most thrilling, entertaining and demanding sport in the world.

It also takes place in the most tightly controlled environment in any sport, in terms of looking after its participants best interests.

McGuigan is spot on, with the money swishing about in boxing, it would make sense to provide help to boxers when their careers end. Many can't cope with the loss of the thrill of the fight in their lives and so turn to drugs to get over their depression.

A small percentage of each fights purse going into a mental health and benevolent fund would be a great idea.  It's all good for the likes of Fury who earn millions.. but 90% of boxers probably barely earn enough to get by.

I was slightly amazed to hear yesterday that rugby league has no players association.  I think all sports in this country should be having a players asccoiation/pension/benevolent scheme.  Its a no brainer really.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

McGuigan is calling for a ' mental health fund ' for boxers .

Boxing , the noble art of beating the crap out of another person .

Surely anyone who wants to do that or risk having that done to them needs psychological help ? 

There's already a boxing thread, Major.

If boxers need psychological help for taking part in their sport, so do footballers, rugby players, runners, horse riders, cyclists, skiers, weight lifters, tennis players, swimmers and even badminton players as you are far more likely to suffer a serious injury in all of those sports than you are while taking part in boxing.

Boxing is the purest of sports imo, with the all of the artifices of the others stripped away.

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

There's already a boxing thread, Major.

If boxers need psychological help for taking part in their sport, so do footballers, rugby players, runners, horse riders, cyclists, skiers, weight lifters, tennis players, swimmers and even badminton players as you are far more likely to suffer a serious injury in all of those sports than you are while taking part in boxing.

Boxing is the purest of sports imo, with the all of the artifices of the others stripped away.

But none of those sports deliberately aim to inflict gbh on an opponent/ knock them out as a fundamental part of the sport (well, maybe rugby)

17 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

But none of those sports deliberately aim to inflict gbh on an opponent/ knock them out as a fundamental part of the sport (well, maybe rugby)

You're right, and that is why boxing has so many safety measures in place to protect those doing it, and why so many more people have died or been catastrophically injured by playing- using your example- rugby.

I'm not particularly advocating a ban, but why are people surprised when boxers get seriously hurt  or die? No amount of medical back up will counter the fact that a delicate organ like the brain is being smashed repeatedly by very strong, fit sportsmen (and women).

Even assaults in rugby are not part of the rules.

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I'm not particularly advocating a ban, but why are people surprised when boxers get seriously hurt  or die? No amount of medical back up will counter the fact that a delicate organ like the brain is being smashed repeatedly by very strong, fit sportsmen (and women).

Even assaults in rugby are not part of the rules.

I appreciate where you're coming from and fair play for not being an abolitionist- we all know how well that has worked over history in many different areas!

I would say though that people are surprised when boxers are seriously hurt or killed- and that is a testament to how safe it actually is compared to many other sports, which seems perverse given the nature of the game. 

I also think people decry boxing instead of other sports despite its safety record as the more casual eye is less able to discern the skill and tactics involved so it looks more like a brawl. There is also massive physical contact in Rugby, American football, Ice Hockey etc but I believe that it is obfuscated because the aim is to gain the puck or ball and score rather than simply to beat the person standing directly in front of you.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

McGuigan is calling for a ' mental health fund ' for boxers .

Boxing , the noble art of beating the crap out of another person .

Surely anyone who wants to do that or risk having that done to them needs psychological help ? 

Disagree with this Major.

I'm an amateur boxer. I'm not a head case. I have a very good job and degree. It teaches me discipline, coordination,keeps me fit and ensures I have a good diet. I've made some lifelong friends and had some great experiences.

It is a 'sweet science' in that the ordinary person who has never indulged in boxing will never understand just how difficult and complex it is.

As a comparison, I've ran both the Bristol 10k and Half Marathon in very quick times (33 mins and 1hr 22 mins respectively) over the years and that's a walk in the park compared to the fitness you need for just 3 rounds of full on sparring.

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Disagree with this Major.

I'm an amateur boxer. I'm not a head case. I have a very good job and degree. It teaches me discipline, coordination,keeps me fit and ensures I have a good diet. I've made some lifelong friends and had some great experiences.

It is a 'sweet science' in that the ordinary person who has never indulged in boxing will never understand just how difficult and complex it is.

As a comparison, I've ran both the Bristol 10k and Half Marathon in very quick times (33 mins and 1hr 22 mins respectively) over the years and that's a walk in the park compared to the fitness you need for just 3 rounds of full on sparring.

My Dad was à boxer , my Mother a Cocker Spaniel .

• Admin
7 hours ago, Tomarse said:

A small percentage of each fights purse going into a mental health and benevolent fund would be a great idea.  It's all good for the likes of Fury who earn millions.. but 90% of boxers probably barely earn enough to get by.

I was slightly amazed to hear yesterday that rugby league has no players association.  I think all sports in this country should be having a players asccoiation/pension/benevolent scheme.  Its a no brainer really.

Boxing hasn't got one either, McGuigan started a professional Boxers association, but so few contributed their 'union' fees, it folded.

5 hours ago, Stortz said:

I appreciate where you're coming from and fair play for not being an abolitionist- we all know how well that has worked over history in many different areas!

I would say though that people are surprised when boxers are seriously hurt or killed- and that is a testament to how safe it actually is compared to many other sports, which seems perverse given the nature of the game. 

I also think people decry boxing instead of other sports despite its safety record as the more casual eye is less able to discern the skill and tactics involved so it looks more like a brawl. There is also massive physical contact in Rugby, American football, Ice Hockey etc but I believe that it is obfuscated because the aim is to gain the puck or ball and score rather than simply to beat the person standing directly in front of you.

On your last paragraph. Rugby hasa huge problem with injuries now, particularly head injuries and the concussion rules have improved but still aren't fit for purpose in my view. The players are so big and the collisions are so massive that it's almost unavoidable now. 

You might not be throwing a punch, but when you make a hit or clear out a ruck the impact can be just as heavy.

9 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

On your last paragraph. Rugby hasa huge problem with injuries now, particularly head injuries and the concussion rules have improved but still aren't fit for purpose in my view. The players are so big and the collisions are so massive that it's almost unavoidable now. 

You might not be throwing a punch, but when you make a hit or clear out a ruck the impact can be just as heavy.

I agree with you, the impacts in rugby now are ludicrous. As you say, the concussion or ko laws are miles behind those in boxing.

Archived