IGNORED

feel good story...Wimbledon above mk dons

The Humble Realist

11 hours ago, Judda said:

Great to see. 

Let's hope franchise football never happens again in the UK. 

But hang on, the sags call us a 'plastic, franchise club...' so it must still be happening...OR they haven't a clue what 'franchise' actually means and it's a popular word to use in football when you feel envious, excluded and taken in by an owner who ain't as rich as they thought......yep, think I'll go with that explanation...

11 hours ago, Judda said:

Great to see. 

Let's hope franchise football never happens again in the UK. 

Except when the they move the gAss franchise to another county.

43 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But hang on, the sags call us a 'plastic, franchise club...' so it must still be happening...OR they haven't a clue what 'franchise' actually means and it's a popular word to use in football when you feel envious, excluded and taken in by an owner who ain't as rich as they thought......yep, think I'll go with that explanation...

In American football, and Baseball , clubs have moved to other towns. They describe this as a franchise I understand, the 'Club' is the Franchise and they move to towns they are more wanted or more financially viable. This sounds like a club, owned by foreign investors , who's parent company are based off shore (Tax purposes ?) and currently squatting in Bristol , who may be moving the 'Franchise' to South Glos' . Just thinking out loud , I'm not fully conversant with all the nuances on the subject. :cool:

If AFC Wimbledon finish above the franchise at the end of the season, I think it'll be time for MK Dons to finally ditch the last part of their name. They'll have done what the Football League said they couldn't do.

Enough time has passed for MK Dons to have a legitimate fan base, and while they probably shouldn't be in the Football League in the first place, I think ditching the Dons name will be enough to release the stigma surrounding their club. Re-brand to Milton Keynes FC, and build from there.

6 hours ago, Woodsy said:

AFC Wimbledon put a great tweet out just to rub it in a bit as well, fair play to them. I'd attach it, but I haven't got a clue how to do so

It is a hell of an achievement in an incredibly short space of time. Long may it continue

I had a look on their twitter account to try and post it for you, but can't see any tweet rubbing it in....can you give me a clue?!

11 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Probably this one I'd think.

Screenshot_20161010-225859.png

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Think you've been taken in by a spoof account - the one you've shown has 368 followers, whereas the official club twitter account is @AFCWimbledon 

Do you know, I don't even care if it is a spoof or a fans account , love the sentiment :clapping::clapping::clap:

17 hours ago, North London Red said:

Good old AFC Sanctimonius. 

Kingsmeadow used to be Kingstonian's stadium, and Kingstonian's stadium alone. We went there in 2001. Ask a diehard Kingstonian fan for their opinion of AFC Wimbledon and you might just be surprised at their response....

There was a very good article in 442 a few months ago which explored the very same issue. It didn`t make good reading if you admire all things AFC Wimbledon.

42 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

There was a very good article in 442 a few months ago which explored the very same issue. It didn`t make good reading if you admire all things AFC Wimbledon.

Wimbledon stole their ground, bit hypocritical bit everyone lives Wimbledon so? 

I got talking to a Kingstonian fan on a holiday a couple of years ago. 

He mentioned about the cup game, particularly the game at Ashton.

Anyway he talked about Wimbledon and how there's a lot of feeling that the ground had been stolen but in his opinion he felt the club would have folded without the Wimbledon money and thus would have lost the ground anyway. 

37 minutes ago, Offside said:

I've often wondered how many (if any) MK fans used to support the "original" Wimbledon and stuck with them as they changed their identity, despite the formation of AFC.

I'm the same. 

I remember being a part of the #5KtoMK and wondering who all the 40+ year olds used to support or what not. It really is a plastic joke of a club. Zero passion. Zero history. 

From this it doesn'tsound as if Kingstonian get too bad a deal and given that the ground is still owned by the council I can't see how it was stolen? If AFC manage to secure the Plough Lane site of the dog track then I would imagine Kingstonians would get first option on the lease.

"The freehold of the site is owned by Kingston Council. The leasehold, which safeguards the site for the borough's football team, was originally held by Kingstonian FC but is currently owned by AFC Wimbledon, having been purchased from the previous owners in March 2003. A condition of the lease is purportedly a renewable 25-year sub-lease to Kingstonian, who are also guaranteed the first pre-season friendly of AFC Wimbledon's first team squad as a home fixture for Kingstonian. The idea is the takings from that first fixture should cover Kingstonian's rent, which is reportedly fixed for the term of the sub-lease"

Archived