IGNORED

Martyn Waghorn

Jerseybean

So the January rumours have started with the Bristol Post suggesting we will be reigniting our interest in Martyn Waghorn.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/martyn-waghorn-linked-with-january-move-to-bristol-city-after-eight-goals-for-rangers-this-season/story-29793757-detail/story.html

According to the BP he has not signed a new contract with Rangers.

Be interested to hear what others think about this rumour, aware as I am of the reliability/credibility of the source.

This is just a lazy copy by BP of this article from yesterday:http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/09/report-bristol-city-eye-january-raid-on-rangers-martyn-waghorn-w/   who apparently got it from the Scottish sun. 

I think we're basically a good club for clubs/players/press to link strikers who aren't quite premiership quality, as we technically have a gap and money in the bank. He doesn't fit our recruitment profile and hasn't really done anything to suggest he'd be a good striker at this level. 

34 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

This is just a lazy copy by BP of this article from yesterday:http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/09/report-bristol-city-eye-january-raid-on-rangers-martyn-waghorn-w/   who apparently got it from the Scottish sun. 

I think we're basically a good club for clubs/players/press to link strikers who aren't quite premiership quality, as we technically have a gap and money in the bank. He doesn't fit our recruitment profile and hasn't really done anything to suggest he'd be a good striker at this level. 

He's " not quite premiership quality" and neither are we. Seems highly thought of at Rangers yet the implication is that we are a step up. I'm not judging the player, but let's not get too big for our boots.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

He's " not quite premiership quality" and neither are we. Seems highly thought of at Rangers yet the implication is that we are a step up. I'm not judging the player, but let's not get too big for our boots.

'neither are we' - exactly why I was saying he is being linked with us. He is 26, so older than our new transfer profile, he failed to score regularly at this level before and although his goals to games record for rangers is good, only one of his goals has been scored in the Scots Prem the rest have been at scotish championship level and the league cup. Add to that he'd cost a fair bit and it seems unlikely we're actually interested.

Not getting to big for my boots, in fact I was trying to say its understandable why we are being linked, I just don't think he'd fits are currently policy/set up.

The article in the Scottish Sun saya we have a "15M war chest" following the sale of Kodjia. This is rubbish since we've only received £11M to date and that will have been used to offset the money paid out on our new players (about £9M), so the rest of the article probably incorrect as well. I would have thought we'd be looking at better players than Waghorn, wouldn't be much of a replacement for Tammy when he goes.

Forget where I heard it, but was on the radio over the weekend.....apparently there is not a lot of joy in the Rangers dressing room right now, and Barton has rattled the nest a little by reminding them that the current group of players have actually done **** all in getting Rangers back into the Scots Prem, which is part of the reason he has now been suspended. A lot of Billy Big Bollocks in there, so, just in case this is true and Waghorn is part of that clique then I'm out

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

You're completely wrong, this has been reported in the Scottish sun, the post are talking about rumoured interest, not claiming we're interested. 

Isn't reporting someone else's rumours pretty much the definition of lazy reporting?  Can't they be arsed to make their own nonsense up now?

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Isn't reporting someone else's rumours pretty much the definition of lazy reporting?  Can't they be arsed to make their own nonsense up now?

You'd rather they done nothing to report rumoured interest from one of the largest papers in the UK?

10 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

You'd rather they done nothing to report rumoured interest from one of the largest papers in the UK?

Yes of course.  I'd rather they reported from their own sources or not at all.  I'd also rather they apply the tiniest bit of common sense which would tell them that Waghorn is extremely unlikely to be a player we are interested in.  Journalists are supposed to do more than just copy and paste bullshit from a weak tabloid with a track record for making things up.

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Yes of course.  I'd rather they reported from their own sources or not at all.  I'd also rather they apply the tiniest bit of common sense which would tell them that Waghorn is extremely unlikely to be a player we are interested in.  Journalists are supposed to do more than just copy and paste bullshit from a weak tabloid with a track record for making things up.

I agree with you, for how I'd like it anyway. However, these days I know that we won't be seeing it happen, and now just get on with the fact that this is here to stay, sad really.

29 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Maybe I'm a bit younger than you, but that's how media is nowadays, it all overlaps.

7 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

The article in the Scottish Sun saya we have a "15M war chest" following the sale of Kodjia. This is rubbish since we've only received £11M to date and that will have been used to offset the money paid out on our new players (about £9M), so the rest of the article probably incorrect as well. I would have thought we'd be looking at better players than Waghorn, wouldn't be much of a replacement for Tammy when he goes.

Of which a large (30%?) proportion was paid to Angers due to the sell-on clause.

14 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Maybe I'm a bit younger than you, but that's how media is nowadays, it all overlaps.

Yes I agree, it's a shame it's so lazy.  I'm not sure why you took issue with that as you seem to agree. What use does repeating bullshit serve? 

On 11/10/2016 at 08:56, Acton Red said:

But didnt we get at least £8m from sell ons and transfers. So I make it we have £19m and we spent £9m? Pretty decent window!

11m for kodjia

it would appear no one knows the sell on fee for bolasie 5-8 million mentioned 

1 million for agard

750k for Ayling

250k for Williams

1 million from adoamh sell on. 

So 19-23 million made this summer, with 4 million more potentially coming. 

Archived