IGNORED

Any spirtual people among us reds?

BookEnd

My missus Nan died in 2005 whilst we were on holiday, the night her Nan died she woke up balling her eyes out about a dream she had had about her mum or Nan dieing ( she wasn't ill or anything so came as a shock)

when we got back she put some photos of our holiday in the coffin as she always liked to show her Nan her holiday snaps 

About a year later she saw a medium and this bloke said to her that her Nan wanted her to know she had seen the photos of the holiday,

Now im not religious or particularly interested in going myself but how on earth could he have been so specific in what he said, he couldn't have guessed that - I've always been open minded since that day, even the dream bit is weird, she had not had one like that before or since. 

It's all a load of nonsense. I can't believe people still fall for this.

Look up the Barnum effect, debunkers like Derren Brown or James Randi. Randi himself made $1m available for decades to anyone that could prove they had psychic abilities under scientific conditions. 100s tried, nobody was ever found to have any psychic ability, what a surprise.

38 minutes ago, Gazred said:

It's all a load of nonsense. I can't believe people still fall for this.

Look up the Barnum effect, debunkers like Derren Brown or James Randi. Randi himself made $1m available for decades to anyone that could prove they had psychic abilities under scientific conditions. 100s tried, nobody was ever found to have any psychic ability, what a surprise.

Whist I really want to agree with you as I'm possibly one of the most sceptical and cynical people you'd ever meet ,have you any idea how the medium I saw 6 months after my nan passed not only told me how she died but also her name and her birthday date when I sat there and said nothing having never met this person before in my life! ....as well as a whole host of other things that she could not have possibly have known .

11 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Whist I really want to agree with you as I'm possibly one of the most sceptical and cynical people you'd ever meet ,have you any idea how the medium I saw 6 months after my nan passed not only told me how she died but also her name and her birthday date when I sat there and said nothing having never met this person before in my life! ....as well as a whole host of other things that she could not have possibly have known .

As a sceptic and cynic, have a really good think about what was said to you, and the way they word the questions. Did you mention you had a tape recording of the whole thing? If so, check that back and have a listen again. The medium will probably have produced more "misses" than "hits". Do this after some time reading up on the techniques used by "psychics", watch some debunking videos and you will almost certainly be able to recognise some of those techniques being used in your session.

If i were to try and debunk your meeting (and im no professional debunker!), i would ask you if anyone recommended the psychic to you? Do you live in the locality? Do you have any friends or family that live in the locality? Did the medium know your name before you arrived? 

Watch these and see if they provide any further insight into your experience:

1 minute ago, Slippin cider said:

I'll give em a watch....the medium I saw was recommended to me but lives around 40 miles away from me...I have no family in that area and no connection with the area whatsoever...

When you explain it like that, it sounds incredible, they must be psychic, how else could they do that?

Well, what's the more likely and realistic reason for that? Is it that she is psychic even though there is zero evidence for this being possible the world over? It's amazing that as intelligent creatures we will happily rule out any kind of logical explanation for that but jump straight to "they must be psychic".

So as an example, the person that recommended her to you, called her and told her a ton of stuff about you. You instantly rule this perfectly logical explanation out as not possible, that didn't happen, the person wouldn't do that etc and are more likely to believe a person has psychic powers. It's just human nature really and they know that.

40 minutes ago, Gazred said:

When you explain it like that, it sounds incredible, they must be psychic, how else could they do that?

Well, what's the more likely and realistic reason for that? Is it that she is psychic even though there is zero evidence for this being possible the world over? It's amazing that as intelligent creatures we will happily rule out any kind of logical explanation for that but jump straight to "they must be psychic".

So as an example, the person that recommended her to you, called her and told her a ton of stuff about you. You instantly rule this perfectly logical explanation out as not possible, that didn't happen, the person wouldn't do that etc and are more likely to believe a person has psychic powers. It's just human nature really and they know that.

I fully understand what you're saying but the person that recommended her to me knew nothing about me either ..and certainly nothing about any of the things she told me which makes it even more strange ...how can this be explained?

16 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

I fully understand what you're saying but the person that recommended her to me knew nothing about me either ..and certainly nothing about any of the things she told me which makes it even more strange ...how can this be explained?

Watch Derren Brown 'Miracle' - he manages it with relative ease and he makes no such claims to be spiritual.

2 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

There are certain things you can say and do, actions and gestures you can make that engage the human brain in a specific way and can create specific or predictable responses. Once you have that mastered, people can become putty in your hands. A lot of it comes down to coincidence. You could of been the 4th or 5th person to have a reading done that day but the only one that had any accuracy in the reading.

Like i said, watch the videos, have a little read about Barnum statements then listen to your copy of the tape again, i'd almost guarantee some of the techniques you will have learnt about were being used for your hearing.

Be warned though, It's a bit like a magic trick or illusion - how did he do that? Once you find out, its actually quite disappointing. If you gained a degree of comfort from your reading and it was a positive experience for you, then just take that and don't investigate it any further as it will probably just lead to disappointment.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Watch Derren Brown 'Miracle' - he manages it with relative ease and he makes no such claims to be spiritual.

Not seen that one myself, if its anything like his other work, certainly worth a watch.

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Not seen that one myself, if its anything like his other work, certainly worth a watch.

Pretty sure it's on YouTube, it's amongst his earlier works, and well worth watching.

And to echo what we have both already said in this thread to anyone who has used a psychic and have been comforted by the experience, then hold on to that and leave it there.

As to the question asked, absolutely not.

'Magicians' sell the same thing with 'mind reading' shows and some people are taken in by the showmanship. 

I find the whole spiritual thing to be predatory in nature - identify a mark and play on emotions.

Not what some people want to hear, but I'll not compromise on the BS involved on this subject.

3 hours ago, Gazred said:

Absolutely, each to their own.

Wonder what they are asking Father Christmas for this year?

City to be top of the league... please, please, please Father Christmas, make it so :shifty:

Archived