IGNORED

Team for Friday / Hope Wilbs starts (Merged)

Never to the dark side

Personally I would start Brownhill at right back.  He fared extremely well there against Forest after Little went off, and with all due respect to Litts, an out of position Josh Brownhill is a better prospect than a half (or even fully fit) Mark Little.  I'm sorry, but for me, Litts lost a massive part of his game with his injury and he hasn't regained it.  There are times when he looks like he's playing a different game to everyone else.  Marlon looked the same early last season and managed to turn it round massively, but I just can't see it with Mark at all.  I hope to be proved as wrong about Little as I was about Pack.

So for me...

Fielding

Brownhill  Flint  Hodor  Bryan

O'Neill  Pack

Patterson  Tomlin  O'Dowda

Tammy

Bench: ROD, Little, Moore, Reid, Wilbs, Freeman, Golbourne

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Personally I would start Brownhill at right back.  He fared extremely well there against Forest after Little went off, and with all due respect to Litts, an out of position Josh Brownhill is a better prospect than a half (or even fully fit) Mark Little.  I'm sorry, but for me, Litts lost a massive part of his game with his injury and he hasn't regained it.  There are times when he looks like he's playing a different game to everyone else.  Marlon looked the same early last season and managed to turn it round massively, but I just can't see it with Mark at all.  I hope to be proved as wrong about Little as I was about Pack.

So for me...

Fielding

Brownhill  Flint  Hodor  Bryan

O'Neill  Pack

Patterson  Tomlin  O'Dowda

Tammy

Bench: ROD, Little, Moore, Reid, Wilbs, Freeman, Golbourne

I think what you say about ML was justified last season and early this season, but over the last 5 games or so before his Hamstring injury, I thought he had settled very well and looked completely over his long term injury and any loss of form. 

I have no problem with seeing ML at right back, although a fully fit and in form Matthews, like we had at the end of last season, would certainly be the strongest option. 

Thankfully I think our squad has enough depth now to not need to put players out of position in the starting line up and starting Brownhill at RB isn't even an option in my eyes. It was a forced and tactical one off solution during a game. Good option to have, but not to start with. 

Not worried about Cardiff's gameplan and LJ shouldn't be either. I'm not dropping the top goal scorer and man in form. I'm not dropping out second leading goal scorer and probably most improved player. I'm not starting a midfielder at RB. I'm not starting a 36 year old up front. Stick to our game and we'll be fine. 

FF

Little/Matthews Flint Mags Joey B

O'Neil Reid

Pato Tomlin Freeman

Tammy

45 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not worried about Cardiff's gameplan and LJ shouldn't be either. I'm not dropping the top goal scorer and man in form. I'm not dropping out second leading goal scorer and probably most improved player. I'm not starting a midfielder at RB. I'm not starting a 36 year old up front. Stick to our game and we'll be fine. 

FF

Little/Matthews Flint Mags Joey B

O'Neil Reid

Pato Tomlin Freeman

Tammy

I think Marlon Pack will start - and i'd say he's probably our most improved player over the last 12 months

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think Marlon Pack will start - and i'd say he's probably our most improved player over the last 12 months

Hasn't really been playing though. Hard to say he's more improved than Bobby IMO. If Marlon starts I'm sure it'll be instead of O'Neil. Can't see Bobby being dropped and he gives us the attacking threat no one else does from that position which is what LJ likes. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Hasn't really been playing though. Hard to say he's more improved than Bobby IMO. If Marlon starts I'm sure it'll be instead of O'Neil. Can't see Bobby being dropped and he gives us the attacking threat no one else does from that position which is what LJ likes. 

Well Marlon has played in 9 league games this season and 3 cup ones too...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well Marlon has played in 9 league games this season and 3 cup ones too...

Yea but has started only about half our games this year including the cup matches. Meaning he's started about 4 league games including the last 2 which GON was ill. Not a bad player but doesn't bring anything different than GON or Korey Smith and not sure he's better than either. Though he does bring the strength and aerial ability in there. 

I thought Marlon struggled against forest tbh and that's not like him at all. We were so much better when GON came on. 

Personally, I would play GON and Bobby with Marlon and maybe even Korey on the bench. Why change a winning formula? Let them worry about us rather than the other way around.

45 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea but has started only about half our games this year including the cup matches. Meaning he's started about 4 league games including the last 2 which GON was ill. Not a bad player but doesn't bring anything different than GON or Korey Smith and not sure he's better than either. Though he does bring the strength and aerial ability in there. 

Well that's not true - Marlon Pack has started in 10 of our games this season - including 7 league games...Bobby has started in 9 games (7 league games)

53 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well that's not true - Marlon Pack has started in 10 of our games this season - including 7 league games...Bobby has started in 9 games (7 league games)

I think you need to go back and look at that. He's started the 3 league cup games and 4 or 5 of the 12 league games. He came off at HT in the last one and was only starting because of fitness concerns with GON. He's not first choice in that position. 

Anyway, it's a pointless argument. We like to attack and Bobby brings the best attributes for attacking from that spot. We aren't playing Newcastle, Norwich or anyone of that ilk. We are playing a bottom 3 team. Bobby has been starting and I expect it to continue and not change because some poor team changed manager. 

5 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think you need to go back and look at that. He's started the 3 league cup games and 4 or 5 of the 12 league games...

Pointless argument as you say, but as you requested, I have gone back and 'looked at that' and Marlon Pack has started these league games:

Wigan, Norwich, Sheff Weds, Derby, Fulham, Leeds, Forest

....so, as I said in my earlier post, Marlon Pack had started 7 league games, a few more than the 4 or 5 you reckon??!

30 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pointless argument as you say, but as you requested, I have gone back and 'looked at that' and Marlon Pack has started these league games:

Wigan, Norwich, Sheff Weds, Derby, Fulham, Leeds, Forest

....so, as I said in my earlier post, Marlon Pack had started 7 league games, a few more than the 4 or 5 you reckon??!

That's my fault. Didn't see him in a couple. Still think 3 of them he wouldn't have started if GON was fit or not suspended. Don't think he's fancied as much in that role and we'll see him go soon. Seems Brownhill is Reid competition and I think Smith will be GON competition. Don't matter though. Whatever LJ does is golden so if Pack starts he'll have a blinder and we'll do well as always. Just think LJ has found the XI he'd like to use most games and that doesn't include Pack. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

That's my fault. Didn't see him in a couple. Still think 3 of them he wouldn't have started if GON was fit or not suspended. Don't think he's fancied as much in that role and we'll see him go soon. Seems Brownhill is Reid competition and I think Smith will be GON competition. Don't matter though. Whatever LJ does is golden so if Pack starts he'll have a blinder and we'll do well as always. Just think LJ has found the XI he'd like to use most games and that doesn't include Pack. 

LJ has just given Pack a new Contract, he's started games as Captain and has started the majority of our matches. 

That doesn't sound like he's being pushed out of the door to me.!

I think Warnock's supposedly physical tactics are being overstated. It's almost become a cliche to say his team will try to smash us. When we played Rotherham last season, yes it was a robust and physical game, but actually how many horror tackles did we actually witness, and how many broken legs did our players sustain in that game?

In fact in all the games we've played against Warnock teams, how many serious injuries have we seen (genuine question)?

I'm not saying there isn't some truth in it. But we shouldn't be scared of Warnock's tactics and we certainly shouldn't be compromising our own formation, personnel and tactics in response. We've won four on the bounce with one up front, we have the league's top scorer and they are in the relegation zone. Imagine the psychological advantage we would hand them if we dropped Tammy.  Let them worry about us.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

LJ has just given Pack a new Contract, he's started games as Captain and has started the majority of our matches. 

That doesn't sound like he's being pushed out of the door to me.!

I don't know if he's being pushed but I still think he's the less fancied of the other 5. The new contract I think is more that we can get a fee for him when the suitors come back for him. I like him and haven't scapegoated him like others but he hasn't been involved as much as I thought he would. I thought he'd be the mainstay in that midfield role while rotating GON and Korey. He hasn't even been a mainstay with Korey injured. I'm not sure how much we'll see him once Korey is fit. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think Warnock's supposedly physical tactics are being overstated. It's almost become a cliche to say his team will try to smash us. When we played Rotherham last season, yes it was a robust and physical game, but actually how many horror tackles did we actually witness, and how many broken legs did our players sustain in that game?

In fact in all the games we've played against Warnock teams, how many serious injuries have we seen (genuine question)?

I'm not saying there isn't some truth in it. But we shouldn't be scared of Warnock's tactics and we certainly shouldn't be compromising our own formation, personnel and tactics in response. We've won four on the bounce with one up front, we have the league's top scorer and they are in the relegation zone. Imagine the psychological advantage we would hand them if we dropped Tammy.  Let them worry about us.

I don't think people are worried about deliberate horror tackles & broken legs. 

It's the spoiling tactics, dirty tricks, getting in officials ear & general cheating that Warnock is synonymous with and so good at getting away with. 

It's going to be dirty and dull from them. We need to get an early goal (apply this to every game we ever play!!). Their crowd will be up for it, initially. An early goal and the grumblings will begin. Team wise, I understand the rationale for picking Wilbs with Tammy but I wouldn't go for this. Wilbs slows us and everything down. Our strengths lie in the many attack-minded midfielders we have, terrorising defences. I'm curious to see who starts at RB. I imagine Little will as I can't think Johnson trusts Matthews just yet. Adam Matthews has been the one blot on a great season so far. Really hope he's up to speed soon.

O'Neil starting will make everything else ok. I'd definitely pick Paterson. Scored last match, looks full of confidence. I think I'd like to see Golbourne in defence. Reassuring. With Bryan in midfield.

Fielding

Little Mags Flint  Golbourne

O'Neil  Reid

Paterson            Bryan

Tomlin

Tammy

32 minutes ago, Ray White said:

Based on his performance against Forest I would be more than happy if Brownhill played right back. I thought he was superb there, new Bradley Orr??

I thought he held his own but he was winded and I'm not sure he could go a full 90 there. Also they started picking on him a bit the last 10 minutes and while he h of his own for that stretch, I think it's asking a bit much to do it again for 90. My opinion anyway. 

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I thought he held his own but he was winded and I'm not sure he could go a full 90 there. Also they started picking on him a bit the last 10 minutes and while he h of his own for that stretch, I think it's asking a bit much to do it again for 90. My opinion anyway. 

Last 15 every ball was over his head straight to their left winger, they got to it every time as well.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't think people are worried about deliberate horror tackles & broken legs. 

It's the spoiling tactics, dirty tricks, getting in officials ear & general cheating that Warnock is synonymous with and so good at getting away with. 

Why would any of that be a reason to drop Tammy or change formation, as has been suggested a number of times?

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why would any of that be a reason to drop Tammy or change formation, as has been suggested a number of times?

I haven't suggested that. 

I would understand LJ's tactical approach though, should Wilbs start and take the early onslaught and atmosphere, especially in light of Tammy's recent traveling and game time with England. 

He may be more effective as a fresh pair of legs in the 2nd half, especially as much of Cardiff's knowledge of our threats will centre around TA and their game plan may be largely focused on him. 

I think Tammy will start, but completely see the merits in LJ opting for a different plan. 

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I haven't suggested that. 

I would understand LJ's tactical approach though, should Wilbs start and take the early onslaught and atmosphere, especially in light of Tammy's recent traveling and game time with England. 

He may be more effective as a fresh pair of legs in the 2nd half, especially as much of Cardiff's knowledge of our threats will centre around TA and their game plan may be largely focused on him. 

I think Tammy will start, but completely see the merits in LJ opting for a different plan. 

No you didn't suggest that, but you said "I don't think people are worried about deliberate horror tackles and broken legs". It's clear from this thread and the other one where the game has been discussed that this is very much the concern.

Anyway, what game time? He's played one game in the last 10 days, he's bang in form and full of confidence. It would madness not to start him in my opinion, especially in favour of a 36 year old.

Archived