IGNORED

Your football idol

MC RISK77

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I was just going to put something similar, through every age/team/generation you tend to have favourite players . Mine started with Garland,Kellard,Galley,  then Whitehead still one of my top City players for skill and crossing ability. Super Bob, TC , Glyn Riley the list could cover a page. Similar story for foreign player, at junior school I loved the Italian and German side of the late 60s early 70s, Luigi Riva anyone , Gerd Muller absolute quality. 

When it comes to non City I found it was easier surprisingly. I loved Hoddle,Waddle,Gasgoign , Wright etc but when it all comes down to it there can be only one ( I loved the first Highlander film ) , Jimmy Greaves ! Englands greatest ever goalscorer , seemed to float over the pitch and made scoring look easy.

My Dad always said Greaves was the best goalscorer he'd ever seen. I think most people of a certain age seems to say that! I was more into the fancy dan midfielders, as you can see from my choices! Someone who had that vision to just do something no one on the pitch could do. Hoddle, Platini & Zico were all masters. World Cup 82 I fell in love with Zico, Euro 84 made me love Platini even more. I even had two goldfish a few years later that I named after the great pair!

City: Murray or tinman

Idol: Marco Van Basten. Could of been any of that great dutch team but Van Basten scored more spectacular goals! I remember kids on the play ground calling overhead kicks a "van basten".

And also a special mention (and this is a bit of an odd one.......) to Rob Jones. I can remember watching his Liverpool debut against Manchester United when I was 8 or 9 years old. He marked a young Ryan Giggs (who at the time seemed unplayable) out of the game. I was a defender at school and suddenly wanted to be Rob Jones above all else. I've even got a Liverpool shirt somewhere with his name on the back....

Archived