IGNORED

Player Ratings

JoeAman08

I'll try to be as nice as I can be. Think LJ played into Warnock tonight with Pack and GON starting. Set the tone for the night. Anyway here we go

Fielding 6/10- Didn't have much to do. Good pen. Second goal I feel ROD would've been able to tip over bar initially but won't dock him for that.

Little 5/10- I thought he defended ok most of the night. Hoilett isn't a bad player and Little done a job on him. Going forward was woeful though. Can't cross and tonight couldn't get by Hoilett to drop shoulder and go. Need a fit Matthews

Flint 6/10- Don't think there was much to do than head balls back up the pitch. Didnt make any mistakes and was asked to play long balls up to Wilbs. 

Magnusson 5/10- Thought it was the least composed I've seen him. Made a few sliced clearances that could've made things worse. 

Bryan 5/10- Again, probably the worst I've seen from him this year. Don't know why he was on the right for penalty. Probably contributed. Player always going down but was a pen. Gave nothing going forward except one cross at the end that may or may not have been cleared. 

GON 5/10- we stick with the worst I've seen from him this year. Didn't win many tackles or loose balls and could barely pass more than 10 yards accurately. Should've come off instead of Pack. 

Pack 6/10- Added strength and aerial ability to stop some long balls to Lambert. Was strong and made one or two long passes stick. Not great but better of the starting 2 midfielders. 

Paterson 6/10- Average. Not a winger. Get this with Freeman as well. They don't like staying wide or running in behind. They come inside and ask for ball at their feet every time. Which then Tomlin drops deeper to find space. Didn't have the spark today.

Tomlin 7/10- Only 7 because he scored. Didn't influence the game the way he can. Tbf, would've been hard to do tonight with everyone being subpar. Some decent play but had to drop deep to find space and he's just not as good that deep. 

Freeman 5/10- Can't get the ball to stick. Well when he's receiving a pass it doesn't stick. When he gets control it sticks to his feet. Stepover go nowhere stepover go nowhere again. He didn't beat anyone tonight and the ball control receiving passes kills moves. Likes to come inside and always asks for ball to feet instead of trying to get behind a defender. O'Dowda for me tuesday. 

Tammy 6/10- What the lad to do? He's shouting to get bodies up near him but to no avail. Not his normal standard however and rumours of being ill. Need Gustav fit and soon. Probably not the player Tammy is but I expect for the money spent he'd be a better second option that Wilbs when TA is off his game. 

Subs

Reid 6/10- Did he miss or was it cleared? Doesn't matter now. Think he should've started to be attacking from the start and not let them off by playing their game. Not a great game but looked forward and passes forward. Also was our central midfielder who got in the 6 yard box to have that chance at the end. Bobby gives defenders a hard time and should be starting next to GON, Pack or Smith almost every game. 

Wilbs 6/10- You know what you're getting. He helped win a few long balls but when he gets the ball to his feet outside the box you may as well just let them have the ball back. Not going to beat anyone and probably not going to play anyone in. Done his job though and gets a 6 for it. 

O'Dowda- Came on as a striker and got a few long balls played to him. Can probably rival Joe in the air but can't utilise that backed into a 6'3" CB. Didn't have much to do so no score for me. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'll try to be as nice as I can be. Think LJ played into Warnock tonight with Pack and GON starting. Set the tone for the night. Anyway here we go

Fielding 6/10- Didn't have much to do. Good pen. Second goal I feel ROD would've been able to tip over bar initially but won't dock him for that.

Little 5/10- I thought he defended ok most of the night. Hoilett isn't a bad player and Little done a job on him. Going forward was woeful though. Can't cross and tonight couldn't get by Hoilett to drop shoulder and go. Need a fit Matthews

Flint 6/10- Don't think there was much to do than head balls back up the pitch. Didnt make any mistakes and was asked to play long balls up to Wilbs. 

Magnusson 5/10- Thought it was the least composed I've seen him. Made a few sliced clearances that could've made things worse. 

Bryan 5/10- Again, probably the worst I've seen from him this year. Don't know why he was on the right for penalty. Probably contributed. Player always going down but was a pen. Gave nothing going forward except one cross at the end that may or may not have been cleared. 

GON 5/10- we stick with the worst I've seen from him this year. Didn't win many tackles or loose balls and could barely pass more than 10 yards accurately. Should've come off instead of Pack. 

Pack 6/10- Added strength and aerial ability to stop some long balls to Lambert. Was strong and made one or two long passes stick. Not great but better of the starting 2 midfielders. 

Paterson 6/10- Average. Not a winger. Get this with Freeman as well. They don't like staying wide or running in behind. They come inside and ask for ball at their feet every time. Which then Tomlin drops deeper to find space. Didn't have the spark today.

Tomlin 7/10- Only 7 because he scored. Didn't influence the game the way he can. Tbf, would've been hard to do tonight with everyone being subpar. Some decent play but had to drop deep to find space and he's just not as good that deep. 

Freeman 5/10- Can't get the ball to stick. Well when he's receiving a pass it doesn't stick. When he gets control it sticks to his feet. Stepover go nowhere stepover go nowhere again. He didn't beat anyone tonight and the ball control receiving passes kills moves. Likes to come inside and always asks for ball to feet instead of trying to get behind a defender. O'Dowda for me tuesday. 

Tammy 6/10- What the lad to do? He's shouting to get bodies up near him but to no avail. Not his normal standard however and rumours of being ill. Need Gustav fit and soon. Probably not the player Tammy is but I expect for the money spent he'd be a better second option that Wilbs when TA is off his game. 

Subs

Reid 6/10- Did he miss or was it cleared? Doesn't matter now. Think he should've started to be attacking from the start and not let them off by playing their game. Not a great game but looked forward and passes forward. Also was our central midfielder who got in the 6 yard box to have that chance at the end. Bobby gives defenders a hard time and should be starting next to GON, Pack or Smith almost every game. 

Wilbs 6/10- You know what you're getting. He helped win a few long balls but when he gets the ball to his feet outside the box you may as well just let them have the ball back. Not going to beat anyone and probably not going to play anyone in. Done his job though and gets a 6 for it. 

O'Dowda- Came on as a striker and got a few long balls played to him. Can probably rival Joe in the air but can't utilise that backed into a 6'3" CB. Didn't have much to do so no score for me. 

Don't mean to take away from the post, but that's what he's meant to do, if he wasn't on the right, their player was through one on one. You follow your man. 

9 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Don't mean to take away from the post, but that's what he's meant to do, if he wasn't on the right, their player was through one on one. You follow your man. 

No I meant why he seemed to be in the right back position. Would be a bit weird defending from that side when you're used to defending the left side. Don't remember how it all came to be. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

No I meant why he seemed to be in the right back position. Would be a bit weird defending from that side when you're used to defending the left side. Don't remember how it all came to be. 

He followed the diagonal run from the winger on his side, as would be expected 

Yeah Joe had a rough time, not helped by Freeman in front of him. Golbourne/Bryan on that wing seem to work better - they have a better understanding, both aware of their defensive duties and Bryan likes to get behind the last man to cross/run into the box. I would use Freeman as fresh legs / sub at the moment he's simply not providing enough assist/goals to stake a place.

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Subs

Tomlin showed some sublime skill IMO as we know he can.  Great goal.

Did Reid miss or clear it off the line ?

Freeman and Bryan just not up to the task. LJ needs a rethink with these two.

Hodor did Ok but did he finish with a hair out of place ?

Anyway on to QPR and onwards and upwards.

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

Yeah Joe had a rough time, not helped by Freeman in front of him. Golbourne/Bryan on that wing seem to work better - they have a better understanding, both aware of their defensive duties and Bryan likes to get behind the last man to cross/run into the box. I would use Freeman as fresh legs / sub at the moment he's simply not providing enough assist/goals to stake a place.

For me, Freeman was our most dangerous player tonight. Had a couple of decent shots on goal, had some energy about him and put in a couple of good crosses

4 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

For me, Freeman was our most dangerous player tonight. Had a couple of decent shots on goal, had some energy about him and put in a couple of good crosses

And I'd say he was our second worst player behind Little.  Whenever he has the ball it very rarely ends with a good shot on target from him or the next person he passes too.  His 'shots on goal' were actually shots off goal as they went wide.

Infuriating player and we look worse when he plays 

Weird how people see it. I felt Little did ok.

Joey was abysmal in the first half - not only the rash foot for the penalty but his pass completion must have been down to 25% - never seen him give the ball away so much and rarely made a tackle - just one of those days and as said onwards and upwards.

Does make a tough fixture away to QPR suddenly look a lot harder !!

Don't our left side selection, Golbourne usually looks rock solid, Bryan often quite poor; Freeman slows everything down and rarely has end product - and against a pressing team you've got to be able to move the ball quickly, whereas Bryan usually looks good in a more advanced role and does things at pace. Need a lot of convincing of Johnson's/Bryan's view that left back is the role he should be making his own. 

2 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Don't our left side selection, Golbourne usually looks rock solid, Bryan often quite poor; Freeman slows everything down and rarely has end product - and against a pressing team you've got to be able to move the ball quickly, whereas Bryan usually looks good in a more advanced role and does things at pace. Need a lot of convincing of Johnson's/Bryan's view that left back is the role he should be making his own. 

I like Joe at LB but last night he was woeful. What makes him special at LB is his runs going forward. When he can't do that, he looks average as he's not the most gifted defender. I think LJ fancies him there and he'll only get better if he keeps playing there but he was a liability last night and of that continues then SG has to play because he's a solid as they come at LB in this league. Joe is at a critical point in his career. 23-24 and not one position to call his own. He needs something to stick. Clearly a talent but needs to get a spot to call his own. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I like Joe at LB but last night he was woeful. What makes him special at LB is his runs going forward. When he can't do that, he looks average as he's not the most gifted defender. I think LJ fancies him there and he'll only get better if he keeps playing there but he was a liability last night and of that continues then SG has to play because he's a solid as they come at LB in this league. Joe is at a critical point in his career. 23-24 and not one position to call his own. He needs something to stick. Clearly a talent but needs to get a spot to call his own. 

See where you're coming from, just wonder if that go forward ability would be better done further forward (Freeman role), where he'd add pace and also give us width without all the endless cutting inside. Then allowing an out and out defender (albeit no hopeless in advanced positions) to be left back. I think Joe has a great future just wonder in what role. Also, to some extent first things first and if that means team better balanced with Freeman replaced, that may mean we've limited choice but to push Joe forward? 

1 minute ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

See where you're coming from, just wonder if that go forward ability would be better done further forward (Freeman role), where he'd add pace and also give us width without all the endless cutting inside. Then allowing an out and out defender (albeit no hopeless in advanced positions) to be left back. I think Joe has a great future just wonder in what role. Also, to some extent first things first and if that means team better balanced with Freeman replaced, that may mean we've limited choice but to push Joe forward? 

It's definitely a question that has no clear answer at the moment. He has attacking abilities but is less focused on as a LB. I've seen him make countless runs in behind to get the line and fizz one across the box. Doesn't get that as much further forward but he can beat a man and has good defensive attributes for a wide midfielder. LJ sees him as a LB though and he doesn't get much wrong. Want to see Joe do well but don't want him learning to cost us points. Remember LJ saying he wants another assistant coach in so he can do more 1 on 1 with players. Maybe if we can sort that out, we'll get more out of our young players. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It's definitely a question that has no clear answer at the moment. He has attacking abilities but is less focused on as a LB. I've seen him make countless runs in behind to get the line and fizz one across the box. Doesn't get that as much further forward but he can beat a man and has good defensive attributes for a wide midfielder. LJ sees him as a LB though and he doesn't get much wrong. Want to see Joe do well but don't want him learning to cost us points. Remember LJ saying he wants another assistant coach in so he can do more 1 on 1 with players. Maybe if we can sort that out, we'll get more out of our young players. 

Yep, coach point is a good one. In someways most of my Joe Bryan issues are really Luke Freeman issues, but if he wants to make left back his own he's got to improve defensively, otherwise he'll risk being like one of those props in rugby who love to run with the ball, but can't scrummage to save their life. First things first!

9 minutes ago, Londoner said:

FRankie - 6

Little - 5

Flint - 6

Mag - 6

Bryan - 5

gaz - 6

Pack - 5

Paterson - 4

Tomlin - 7

Freeman - 6

tammy - 6

Looks fair. Didn't think Pato was his usual. Though thought Pack was at least average as he played his part in front of Lambert but no one was exceptional. Let's hope everyone adds 2 to their player ratings on Tuesday

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

And I'd say he was our second worst player behind Little.  Whenever he has the ball it very rarely ends with a good shot on target from him or the next person he passes too.  His 'shots on goal' were actually shots off goal as they went wide.

Infuriating player and we look worse when he plays 

Each to their own, but I would rather have a player who tries things that don't work out (missed shots etc) than someone who doesn't really affect the game in any way. Freeman was a handful for their defence and was far more prominent on the pitch than, say, Joe Bryan or Bobby Reid. Even Tomlin, if it weren't for his goal, was largely anonymous (his petulance aside)

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I agree with much of this, but Joe has had two bad games in a row now at LB. Wouldn't be surprised to see this changed up.

Very disappointing game, but I think teams may start to 'work us out' as Cardiff did last night. High press and constant breaking up of the game, not letting us play. 

The test now will be if we can out smart and out play these tactics, because last night we played completely into Cardiff's hands. The more Bamba dominated, the more we pumped balls up to him.

17 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Each to their own, but I would rather have a player who tries things that don't work out (missed shots etc) than someone who doesn't really affect the game in any way. Freeman was a handful for their defence and was far more prominent on the pitch than, say, Joe Bryan or Bobby Reid. Even Tomlin, if it weren't for his goal, was largely anonymous (his petulance aside)

Can't help think that's partly due to us just passing to feet all the time, it's pretty but if it's not working then they need to move more and pass into space for players to run onto the ball. Cardiff did not look very speedy and we know we have some pacy players so we need to mix it up more if the short passing play is not working due to being pressured / deep defending. 

Pretty much all 6's for me but Bryan, Pato and Freeman are all 5's. I really don't know if Joe is a left back, he's great going forward, Cardiff hated him running at them but sometimes defensively he's not quite there. Pato and Freeman didn't have great games and I'd have liked to have seen COD earlier. Tomlin was good, but the misbehaving drops him from a 7 to a 6. 

As a team we played right into Warnocks hands, but we will dust off and go again Tuesday. I think we forget how work in progress we still are at times.

14 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

For the penalty, Joe tracked Noone's diagonal run across the pitch and so ended up on the right. Can't criticise him for that.

6 minutes ago, Moloch said:

For the penalty, Joe tracked Noone's diagonal run across the pitch and so ended up on the right. Can't criticise him for that.

Was never a criticism. More of a statement that it may have attributed to the penalty as the stance would've been a bit different than he's used to. Didn't actually see why he ended up over there but as you said he was in the right doing so. Just think it may have been an uncomfortable position for him defending on the right side. 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

But he misses his shots so consistently. Given time, confidence and strength, I'm more than confident that O Dowda will eventually take his spot. Freeman has so much ability on the ball but never has the instinct to make a quick decision.

Yes, the fact that often he can still hang on to the ball when he's checking back and forth is impressive, but he allows defenders to get back in position by agonising over what to do with the ball. When Paterson assisted our first goal in the Fulham game, he got the ball, saw the space and ran into the box from almost the halfway line. Often it looks like Freeman thinks too much about what to do, when football is so often won or lost through instinctive decisions.

As for Reid, he was on the field for far less time and still got into a position to have our best chance of the game (which, by the way, I think was missed due to great defending rather than a bad miss).

Archived