IGNORED

Bounce around the ground?

Esmond Million's Bung

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Superb! Makes me laugh when people go on about atmospheres being brilliant in this country.....Germany, Turkey, Argentina etc etc etc....we just politely applaud compared to clubs in countries like that. Ultras? We ain't got any...

Do people say atmospheres are brilliant in this country?

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Superb! Makes me laugh when people go on about atmospheres being brilliant in this country.....Germany, Turkey, Argentina etc etc etc....we just politely applaud compared to clubs in countries like that. Ultras? We ain't got any...

Depends whether you prefer a choreographed atmosphere or a spontaneous one. 

Give me a spontaneous atmosphere every time. 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Not heard that.  Don't know any stadiums that have a consistent good atmosphere apart from St James Park and sometimes Selhurst Park and Anfield.

Completely different in many foreign countries.  Prague derby was the best game I've been too.

Spot on - the Prague one is an unbelievable experience.

We are just interested onlookers in this country, and that is not meant in any disrespectful way, we just don't do passionate support like fans of clubs in other countries do...

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The Dolman used to move a little, but not like this.

Looks a little like the balcony at the Locarno when the Clash and the Specials came to town.

To be honest though, while this pisses all over the atmosphere at any British football ground in the modern day, it doesn't have anywhere near the intensity of the 70s and 80s here in England. 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I've been to games in Germany, nothing choreographed about the chanting I witnessed, awesome support...

Yes, I've been to plenty of games in Germany too. Some good, some bad in terms of atmosphere. Not saying all games are choreographed but it's definitely much more common on the continent than it is in the UK (Selhurst Park and their silly banners aside). 

4 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Yes, I've been to plenty of games in Germany too. Some good, some bad in terms of atmosphere. Not saying all games are choreographed but it's definitely much more common on the continent than it is in the UK (Selhurst Park and their silly banners aside). 

Fair play, must say though that I don't think the Palace banners are silly, the one they displayed against Man City was class

For the atmospheres alone I wish I was born in another country. English football fans just wheel out excuse after excuse:

• We can't stand up: We do every week in the Atyeo and at away games and it is still not a patch on overseas
  • It's choreographed: What does that even mean? and so what? You still get the roar and the 'spontaneous' atmosphere like at Boro at home last year overseas too.
  • The game is sanitised: What sanitation is stopping you from singing may I ask?

The truth is that far too many English football fans are too embarrassed to sing or often just don't feel like it. When we do 'the bounce, how may are actually bouncing and how many just wave their arms a bit. The Atyeo is often a sea of people with their arms folded just waiting for a corner so they can call the corner taker a ****** rather than actually support the team.

Now I appreciate that not everyone wants to sing which is fine, however why are you in an area the club dubbed 'singing section?' I've voiced this opinion before but there are three main groups in the Atyeo for me:

• Firstly there are the fans who want to support, who will get involved in most chants and will want to maintain them.
  • Secondly there are the abusers who may sing after a goal but mostly sing any and every song that abuses opposition fans, players and officials. 
  • Thirdly there are the friends who never sing and are there because their mates/boyfriends are in there. 

For me I like the first group, and I would love that to be a group that can grow. I want to support city and have very little time for the banter (often extremely unwitty like shouting 'you *****' really loudly) unless it is actually funny. I want us to not be snobbish about what we sing and ensuring it is all organic and original. Original is great but how many unique songs do we have that the whole ground may get involved with? Bounce and Drink Up? Drums are used across the world but at city we want no drums but someone banging out of time on the back of the stand is fine somehow? As long as they can play it then it's fine. 

I could go on but I can sum up why our atmospheres suck in one antidote. Last season in the thrashing of Bolton, you may recall we beat Fulham away the week before, we scored two early goals in the first half. However by the 40th (ish) minute we'd died down again in terms of noise. They guy in front of me turned to his friend and said something along the lines of; "It just isn't rocking as much as Fulham last week" in a disappointed tone...he (other than the two goals) had not joined in with anything. The 'I'll sing if everyone else is singing' ideology means that our atmospheres will not improve no matter what changes.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

For the atmospheres alone I wish I was born in another country. English football fans just wheel out excuse after excuse:

• We can't stand up: We do every week in the Atyeo and at away games and it is still not a patch on overseas
  • It's choreographed: What does that even mean? and so what? You still get the roar and the 'spontaneous' atmosphere like at Boro at home last year overseas too.
  • The game is sanitised: What sanitation is stopping you from singing may I ask?

The truth is that far too many English football fans are too embarrassed to sing or often just don't feel like it. When we do 'the bounce, how may are actually bouncing and how many just wave their arms a bit. The Atyeo is often a sea of people with their arms folded just waiting for a corner so they can call the corner taker a ****** rather than actually support the team.

Now I appreciate that not everyone wants to sing which is fine, however why are you in an area the club dubbed 'singing section?' I've voiced this opinion before but there are three main groups in the Atyeo for me:

• Firstly there are the fans who want to support, who will get involved in most chants and will want to maintain them.
  • Secondly there are the abusers who may sing after a goal but mostly sing any and every song that abuses opposition fans, players and officials. 
  • Thirdly there are the friends who never sing and are there because their mates/boyfriends are in there. 

For me I like the first group, and I would love that to be a group that can grow. I want to support city and have very little time for the banter (often extremely unwitty like shouting 'you *****' really loudly) unless it is actually funny. I want us to not be snobbish about what we sing and ensuring it is all organic and original. Original is great but how many unique songs do we have that the whole ground may get involved with? Bounce and Drink Up? Drums are used across the world but at city we want no drums but someone banging out of time on the back of the stand is fine somehow? As long as they can play it then it's fine. 

I apply to the first group but I'm not in the Atyeo, and unfortunately there is no room for it to grow. I just go in there when I can which is cup games, frustrating but what can you do. South stand has some potential but unfortunately a large amount of it is now a family area.

Archived