IGNORED

Space - All things beyond Earth's atmosphere

Fiale

17 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Some bastard explain infinity to us, properly.

Similarly, if it is claimed infinity does not exist, what is on the other side of the boundary??

Back next month.

Uncle TFR

For Gods sake don't ask these boffins to explain infinity, once they start, they will go on and on and on and on and on and on........

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

How about, "I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes

Very good.

How about this:-

- would you rather: have sex with a horse, but no-one will ever know; or not have sex with a horse, but everyone thinks beyond doubt that you have?

Not easy.

:cool2:

Uncle TFR

1 hour ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Very good.

- would you rather: have sex with a horse, but no-one will ever know; or not have sex with a horse, but everyone thinks beyond doubt that you have?

Not easy.

Uncle TFR

Hmmm You are a tricky old bugger!  I would say nay to both propositions.

OK try this: If God is omnipotent - can he create a stone that he cannot move?

On 24/10/2016 at 15:07, Taxi for Rennie said:

Very good.

Not easy.

Uncle TFR

I take it you haven't seen his wife then...!

(Just kidding BF)

On 24/10/2016 at 16:20, Bat Fastard said:

Hmmm You are a tricky old bugger!  I would say nay to both propositions.

OK try this: If God is omnipotent - can he create a stone that he cannot move?

I don't work like that: it's one or the other.

Horse / no horse.

City / Gas.

Select.

:bruce_h4h:

Uncle TFR

Back onto subject.....!

My 10 year old mentioned she might like a telescope for Christmas, she has inherited my geekiness for stuff like this. Can someone recommend something suitable, she's really into planets, and Jupiter in particular. Is there something cheap (in case it only gets used once!) that would do the job??

43 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Back onto subject.....!

My 10 year old mentioned she might like a telescope for Christmas, she has inherited my geekiness for stuff like this. Can someone recommend something suitable, she's really into planets, and Jupiter in particular. Is there something cheap (in case it only gets used once!) that would do the job??

Your on a very difficult wicket here. Cheap scopes are simply a complete waste of money. For visual planet, moon observation the higher the F ratio the better something approaching F10. At reasonable money you will find refractor scopes which is essence is straight through viewing or reflector which as it says reflects the image from an internal mirror. I would recommend either the Celestron or Sky watcher brand.if you choose refractor make sure you get an eye piece that is 90 degrees to the plain that you are viewing, very bad neck otherwise. There is a very good shop in Frome I think it's called M2 optics or something like that. They have a good display of scopes at all prices. You can touch and feel and of course ask lots of questions. Good luck

22 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

Your on a very difficult wicket here. Cheap scopes are simply a complete waste of money. For visual planet, moon observation the higher the F ratio the better something approaching F10. At reasonable money you will find refractor scopes which is essence is straight through viewing or reflector which as it says reflects the image from an internal mirror. I would recommend either the Celestron or Sky watcher brand.if you choose refractor make sure you get an eye piece that is 90 degrees to the plain that you are viewing, very bad neck otherwise. There is a very good shop in Frome I think it's called M2 optics or something like that. They have a good display of scopes at all prices. You can touch and feel and of course ask lots of questions. Good luck

Wonderful, thanks for the info - I'll do some digging

6 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Blimey, this thread certainly puts the Ashton Gate atmosphere into perspective doesn't it?

Fascinating stuff, but to be honest much of it goes right over my head.

I think it's one of those things that are amazing and mind blowing whether you understand it fully / partly or hardly at all - 

Curiosity Rover Finds and Examines a Meteorite on Mars

The dark, smooth-surfaced object at the center of this Oct. 30, 2016, image from the Mast Camera (Mastcam) on NASA's Curiosity Mars rover was examined with laser pulses and confirmed to be an iron-nickel meteorite.

The grid of shiny points visible on the object resulted from that laser zapping by Curiosity's Chemistry and Camera (ChemCam) instrument.

The meteorite is about the size of a golf ball. It is informally named "Egg Rock," for a site in Maine. Locations around Bar Harbor, Maine, are the naming theme for an area on Mars' Mount Sharp that Curiosity reached in October. 

Iron-nickel meteorites are a common class of space rocks found on Earth, and previous examples have been found on Mars, but Egg Rock is the first on Mars to be examined with a laser-firing spectrometer.

The scene is presented with a color adjustment that approximates white balancing, to resemble how the rocks and sand would appear under daytime lighting conditions on Earth. Figure A includes a scale bar of 5 centimeters (about 2 inches).

msl-rover-curiosity-finds-meteorite-mars

13 hours ago, Fiale said:

I will be doing a night hike somewhere, with my thermals, flask snacks and getting a bus back into Bristol in the morning from wherever I end up... I do it most full moons, it's a lot more fun during lambing / calving season though.

Was you a werewolf but you is alright nowwwwwwww? :) 

7 hours ago, Fiale said:

Curiosity Rover Finds and Examines a Meteorite on Mars

The dark, smooth-surfaced object at the center of this Oct. 30, 2016, image from the Mast Camera (Mastcam) on NASA's Curiosity Mars rover was examined with laser pulses and confirmed to be an iron-nickel meteorite.

The grid of shiny points visible on the object resulted from that laser zapping by Curiosity's Chemistry and Camera (ChemCam) instrument.

The meteorite is about the size of a golf ball. It is informally named "Egg Rock," for a site in Maine. Locations around Bar Harbor, Maine, are the naming theme for an area on Mars' Mount Sharp that Curiosity reached in October. 

Iron-nickel meteorites are a common class of space rocks found on Earth, and previous examples have been found on Mars, but Egg Rock is the first on Mars to be examined with a laser-firing spectrometer.

The scene is presented with a color adjustment that approximates white balancing, to resemble how the rocks and sand would appear under daytime lighting conditions on Earth. Figure A includes a scale bar of 5 centimeters (about 2 inches).

msl-rover-curiosity-finds-meteorite-mars

When image is zoomed up the meteorite resembles (slightly) Maggie Thatcher in profile looking to the right.

( btw I did go to Specsavers, maybe I need to claim a refund? Or can you see it too?)

Sorry to intrude, but occasionally I look in on this forum from time to time.

Point being, the subject of space is really quite enthralling, but how many people really have a real tangible interest in it ?   It's a shame more people don't get involved in the exploration of space, but perhaps the primary reason for me is that the universe is so immense that in a sense it's something I can't quite comprehend.

I used to watch The Sky at Night quite regularly whenever it was on but this was a good many years ago.   (They'd often discuss things that were far outside the boundaries of rational thought)

As an aside, one claim to fame is being witness to Halley's Comet when it last appeared 30 years ago.  Think it has a return period of 76 years or thereabouts and while it's possible (for me) to see it come round again, I'd have to survive to a good age to have a second opportunity.

11 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Was you a werewolf but you is alright nowwwwwwww? :) 

There maybe some about, you do hear some strange noises in the late/early hours - though the worst are vixens and owls who sound inhuman.

10 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Sorry to intrude, but occasionally I look in on this forum from time to time.

Point being, the subject of space is really quite enthralling, but how many people really have a real tangible interest in it ?   It's a shame more people don't get involved in the exploration of space, but perhaps the primary reason for me is that the universe is so immense that in a sense it's something I can't quite comprehend.

I used to watch The Sky at Night quite regularly whenever it was on but this was a good many years ago.   (They'd often discuss things that were far outside the boundaries of rational thought)

As an aside, one claim to fame is being witness to Halley's Comet when it last appeared 30 years ago.  Think it has a return period of 76 years or thereabouts and while it's possible (for me) to see it come round again, I'd have to survive to a good age to have a second opportunity.

It's perfectly ok to appreciate something even if the topic as a whole is far beyond our understanding. I saw a video a long time ago on the biochemistry of the human body / cells. I know we eat, our body breaks down the food, delivers it to our cells for energy, repairs, build, kill cells and gets rid of the waste etc.. When I actually saw what the experts think is really happening it just goes beyond my understanding as it looks like a factory, I just don't understand why all these components are doing what they are doing and why they are doing it to create me for a blip in time before I die and the atoms I once was continue their existence in another form for billions of years doing other things.... but I am happy to just let the awe of it wash other me.

Archived