IGNORED

Going in mental in the concourses.

bs3

Taking a look at social media over the last few years I have notice a growing trend for away supporters in the concourse area at half time/pre match to sing , dance and act like your were at a music gig mosh pit back in the day.  Our young supporters were doing it on Friday night.

I'm not saying this is wrong but my question is why? 

Is it because if they let steam off like this in the stands they would be thrown out. Is it because young people don't go to small music gigs anymore.

Is it because they are lot less opportunities for young people to let their hair down.

I just find intriguing this new phenomenon that people jump around and sing when years ago we would do this on the terrace.

Looking back, way way back, they were... non 'PC'.. wouldn't tick the most lenient of 'H&S' standard boxes .. they were often wet and cold, uncomfortable, leg aching, feet killing, bruising places to be ..... but **** me ... nothing, nothing, in modern day football even hints at the excitement and fun that could be enjoyed on the old football terraces. Feel sorry for the younger fans who will never know or understand what football really felt like when experienced from those old awful often crumbling terraces..

OK there's more than a dose of the rose tinted glasses of youth in this I suspect ...  but ffs who doesn't miss those old days of the terraces?   Singing, cheering, moaning, groaning, jumping, screaming, swaying, 'ooh altogether'ing... pure buzzing that couldn't be found anywhere else in life.

Miss them shabby old terraces and the hoards who brought em to life. 

2 hours ago, redapple said:

Good point . Never really thought about about it . In my day I'd have 2 Punk gigs a week and the Eastend or Enclosure on a Saturday . Feel sorry for youngsters in todays world .

The enclosure was pretty mental back in the day,loved it

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Looking back, way way back, they were... non 'PC'.. wouldn't tick the most lenient of 'H&S' standard boxes .. they were often wet and cold, uncomfortable, leg aching, feet killing, bruising places to be ..... but **** me ... nothing, nothing, in modern day football even hints at the excitement and fun that could be enjoyed on the old football terraces. Feel sorry for the younger fans who will never know or understand what football really felt like when experienced from those old awful often crumbling terraces..

OK there's more than a dose of the rose tinted glasses of youth in this I suspect ...  but ffs who doesn't miss those old days of the terraces?   Singing, cheering, moaning, groaning, jumping, screaming, swaying, 'ooh altogether'ing... pure buzzing that couldn't be found anywhere else in life.

Exciting, crazy times they were, I really miss all that too.

No going back now though. Another Chablis anyone?

Edit: oh, and could we have some crudités please?

I do think you kind of answered your own question with the mention of social media. People do this with the knowledge that the film will be all over facebook and twitter like a rash, whereas back in the day, obviously no camcorders or the like were around, or certainly not taken to a match and footage instantly available. In short it's a "look at me, aren't I mental? " type of thing   and only done for attention .

39 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I do think you kind of answered your own question with the mention of social media. People do this with the knowledge that the film will be all over facebook and twitter like a rash, whereas back in the day, obviously no camcorders or the like were around, or certainly not taken to a match and footage instantly available. In short it's a "look at me, aren't I mental? " type of thing   and only done for attention .

As I said to a friend of mine as we watched the goings on in the concourse on Friday night, 'in our day before mobile phone cameras we'd have had to draw this'

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Those wonderful halcyon days of my youth,that bright bird from the mists of memory-trapped,surging,swaying with the mass as one......oh yesterday,leave me alone.

7 hours ago, bs3 said:

Taking a look at social media over the last few years I have notice a growing trend for away supporters in the concourse area at half time/pre match to sing , dance and act like your were at a music gig mosh pit back in the day.  Our young supporters were doing it on Friday night.

I'm not saying this is wrong but my question is why? 

Is it because if they let steam off like this in the stands they would be thrown out. Is it because young people don't go to small music gigs anymore.

Is it because they are lot less opportunities for young people to let their hair down.

I just find intriguing this new phenomenon that people jump around and sing when years ago we would do this on the terrace.

Interesting thoughts. But, where were the concourses before stadium redevelopments?

On 10/16/2016 at 16:03, WhistleHappy said:

OH Yea!  I loved the terraces, but, not being very tall, still only 5ft 8 now,  I used to go early and always got a good position in the old cowshed to get a good view and blow me 9 times out of ten, immediately before kick off,  some bloke around 6ft 5 would come and stand right in front of me. So on the Sunday,  the back of my knees would be aching from stretching to see what was going on.  So although it was an exciting time, when all seating came along, it was much more comfortable for me.

Archived