IGNORED

How good is Callum O'Dowda?

reddogkev

9 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

My opinion is that he is far too lightweight and it shows massively when played in the same side as Brownhill. If I was able to swap either of them for Scott Wagstaff, I would. 

I would now too, but he's got a 5 year head start. I would wager both will be much more than his equal in 5 years time. 

With both I don't feel they are there yet. I think over the course of the season they can cement themselves and be ready for the next, if not in over the next few months. 

8 hours ago, grifty said:

He's very direct and he's the sort of player if he gets the ball at the byline and squares up the full back, the crowd will stand up as he will take on his man, or get a cross in. He likes driving through the centre and playing one-twos with the striker.

As others have said, he hasn't really provided any outcome, but he reminds of a more direct, less skilful version of Albert so far.

Albert ? not sure , For me more like Ivan Sproule !

Early days. I don't think he has done enough yet to warrant a regular starting place and (unpopular as this may be) in my view Freeman is currently more effective in that role. I'm sure LJ and Pembo will use him sensibly as he adapts to a higher division. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

He was very good playing wide left/central for 20 minutes for the ROI the other day. It was only Moldova though.

If Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane are willing to give him a chance then it says it all for me.  I think he is a real talent and.will have a fantastic future hopefully with us.   Only showed his talent in fits and starts so far.

10 hours ago, eardun said:

Agree with this. I remember saying I was impressed with him that day. Very direct. From memory I think he played on the right that match.

My mind may be playing tricks because it was a while back but wasn't he named Man of the Match that day although strangely we scored both our goals when he was off the pitch.

14 hours ago, 29AR said:

I would now too, but he's got a 5 year head start. I would wager both will be much more than his equal in 5 years time. 

With both I don't feel they are there yet. I think over the course of the season they can cement themselves and be ready for the next, if not in over the next few months. 

" I think over the course of the season they can cement themselves."

That's going to slow them down if anything.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

" I think over the course of the season they can cement themselves."

That's going to slow them down if anything.

Stop them being lightweight though.

On 10/19/2016 at 11:32, Full nelson said:

He's talented for sure! 

Is Wes Burns available to bring home in January? I may be the only one who rates Wes! 

NO!

There is also DJB1263887 or whatever his name is - and Yes, I am aware of the family connection.

Oh, and there is also me and numerous others....

13 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

NO!

There is also DJB1263887 or whatever his name is - and Yes, I am aware of the family connection.

Oh, and there is also me and numerous others....

I am having a meeting of mediums this weekend, which involves lots of spirits.

Will you come, Phil?

:shocking:

Uncle TFR

On 19/10/2016 at 10:32, Full nelson said:

He's talented for sure! 

Is Wes Burns available to bring home in January? I may be the only one who rates Wes! 

Thought Burns going on loan was the right decision at the beginning of the season, but as he's been sitting mostly on the bench I wish he had not gone. He's actually just losing position against others at the moment as we brought/had  O'Dowda, Paterson, Engvall, Tomlin, De'Giro, Freeman, Bryan, Tammy - have we even decided Wes's best position yet ? 

I hope we bring him back in January and find him a loan where he will actually get game time,  or decide to give him a chance (or let him pursue his career elsewhere) - he will be 22 in a couple of weeks, I just wonder what are plan is for him.

ScreenShot_20161020184744.png

I think O'Dowda and Brownhill are great. Both young and show so much potential. 

The main issue here is that the standards at BCFC have shot up dramatically and we haven't appreciated that. The likes of JET, Waggie, Williams are nowhere close to our first 11 now, and that says a lot for our growth. 

Burns is a case of 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'. I'm not sure he would get in at all, and certainly not be a revolution. 

This is a growing team, and we have some great talents, COD and JB are examples of that. Just think how far pack / reid have come in the last 3 years. If those two are starting at a smilar ability, where will they be in 3 years?? Premier League quality, in my opinion. 

I must watch a different game at the gate, I think O`Dowda has pace and can pass players, his final ball is sometimes wayward and decision making work in progress, but shows real potential. I have seen worse crossers of the ball playing wide for England, Lennon, Townsend, Walcott etc, so on that basis alone he looks worth developing.

17 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for the invite - could be interesting.

Any more details - gin, whisky?

Sorry, but you have missed the point.

There was a rumour last year that you had - how shall I put it - 'passed on'.

Because of this, we are surprised you still post on OTIB.

There are two explanations:-

- 1, you are not in fact dead;

- 2, you are 'in another world', and somehow manage to post.

If it is the later, you would be a good subject for the medium to have dialogue with, as we can talk about all things BCFC in 'the other world' AKA the spirit world.

OK?

Uncle TFR

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:32, Sergio Georgini said:

Said it in another thread, he's not doing enough when he plays, hence why he's always hauled off after 50-60 minutes. Don't want to be too critical but I cannot remember him beating his man once or making a cutting edge pass that changes a game. I still don't think anyone knows his best position too, is he a Right Winger or a Left Winger? 

Definitely a work in progress but at this moment he should be way down the pecking order.

Agree with this. For me his best performance was the opening day game at home to Wigan, when he looked a real find. Since then however, seems to be reluctant to take people on, maybe he has lost confidence. Hopefully will improve, but against Cardiff was a non-entity and rightly dropped for QPR.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Agree with this. For me his best performance was the opening day game at home to Wigan, when he looked a real find. Since then however, seems to be reluctant to take people on, maybe he has lost confidence. Hopefully will improve, but against Cardiff was a non-entity and rightly dropped for QPR.

Could describe the whole team like that Vs Cardiff, possible exception being Tomlin 

Archived