IGNORED

Officials

Redmycolour

Or maybe the players should come out and say why they haven't performed like they should over the last couple of games?

It happens, swings and roundabouts. Get three points Saturday and the last two games can be forgotten. It's a very tight league. If you'd have said we'd lose both games and still be in the top 6 I wouldn't believe you.

Refs will make mistakes. It happens. It's not nice against us but I wouldn't have it any other way. I think the standard can be improved at all levels though. It's almost like Russian Roulette with referees in the championship. You can get a good one you barely notice or you can get the inconsistent and whistle happy ones. So, no, they should never have to explain themselves but they should be coached after games on calls they made and how to be in better positions to make correct calls as often as they can. 

6 minutes ago, shelts said:

They have such a hard job impossible to win. Small margins eh. 

And they don`t get away with making a bad decision either, they get downgraded by a huge amount for making a serious one. As an example, my mate was running the line at AG when we played Boro a few years ago and didn`t flag for that blatant handball by one of their defenders in front of the Atyeo. It would have meant a penalty and at least a yellow card. He told me later he had been dropped 40 places in the rankings because of it and went from being able to be a lino in the championship, league one and league 2, ref in the conference and in the JPT to only being able to run the line in league 2 and below. He`s only just worked his way back up to where he was before.

5 hours ago, redmycolour said:

Should refs and there assistant have to explain the reason for there wrong decision such as last night Tomlin not being offside and At Cardiff the lead up to there first goal there player being at least 2ft offside 

No. Because at that moment in time they believed it to be the correct decision. That's good enough for me.

11 hours ago, redmycolour said:

Should refs and there assistant have to explain the reason for there wrong decision such as last night Tomlin not being offside and At Cardiff the lead up to there first goal there player being at least 2ft offside 

What do you expect them to say? Clearly they make what they believe to be the right decision at the time, without the benefit of multiple slow-motion replays and freeeze frames. That is obvious so why would they need to explain that?

And you can kid yourself about the Cardiff player being "2ft" offside if you want, it was mm and only truly clear with the benefit of a freeze frame and a straight line graphic from an elevated angle. For a linesman seeing it once at full speed it was so marginal it was effectively a 50:50 decision.

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Shame we don't have a glut of refs. At the moment a poor performance sees a ref demoted to a lower league game, why should 'we' or league one or two be a punishment?

You will never again have a "glut" of refs.

They are quitting in there 100's, why? Because of the constant abuse they get for every decision they make.

11 players will agree and 11 won't in every decision made.

Then you get tv freeze framing offside decisions, why? linesman watch the ball get played and ' then' look across the line,  during the 'then' one player may have moved up 3 yards and another gone forward 3 yards.

Anyone who has never reffed or run the line should go and try it, criticism would then die out for the officials, because it's a  fn hard job!

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

You will never again have a "glut" of refs.

They are quitting in there 100's, why? Because of the constant abuse they get for every decision they make.

11 players will agree and 11 won't in every decision made.

Then you get tv freeze framing offside decisions, why? linesman watch the ball get played and ' then' look across the line,  during the 'then' one player may have moved up 3 yards and another gone forward 3 yards.

Anyone who has never reffed or run the line should go and try it, criticism would then die out for the officials, because it's a  fn hard job!

Completely agree. That is the fundamental problem of the linesman's job - they are effectively being asked to look at two places at the same time. Quite literally impossible.

12 hours ago, redmycolour said:

2ft? You're having a laugh. Centimètres in it, with a slow motion sky replay. Get a grip, mistakes happen, and will continue to until TMO comes in.

9 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

Yes . They should be held accountable for their decisions.  The club and fans suffer from their mistakes.  I know it is a difficult job but talk to each other and make the right decision between them. 

It's that simple is it? Please explain how talking to each other would have helped them get the Cardiff offside decision right.

On 19/10/2016 at 19:45, JamesBCFC said:

I wouldn't object to referees doing an interview post match, though perhaps immediately after wouldn't be ideal.

A Swedish referee did this a few years ago and was widely praised.

Yep, spot on....managers are quizzed immediately after a game and often get fined for their comments in the heat of the aftermath....refs should be subjected to the same scrutiny because they ruin so many weekends but they also make so many weekends. They have a ridiculous ability to influence the mood of thousands of people so at least be big enough to explain a few decisions. And alot of fans could accept a ref's honest mistake as long as they hear his reasons and his views on certain incidents.

[Anyway, I'm off to write a song called In The Heat of the Aftermath as I can't believe I used that phrase above!]

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, spot on....managers are quizzed immediately after a game and often get fined for their comments in the heat of the aftermath....refs should be subjected to the same scrutiny because they ruin so many weekends but they also make so many weekends. They have a ridiculous ability to influence the mood of thousands of people so at least be big enough to explain a few decisions. And alot of fans could accept a ref's honest mistake as long as they hear his reasons and his views on certain incidents.

[Anyway, I'm off to write a song called In The Heat of the Aftermath as I can't believe I used that phrase above!]

I reckon someone like Europe or Toto would be well up for recording a song called that!

On 19/10/2016 at 22:47, kiwicolin said:

Yes . They should be held accountable for their decisions.  The club and fans suffer from their mistakes.  I know it is a difficult job but talk to each other and make the right decision between them. 

How can you hold a Lino accountable for the Cardiff goal? No chance he should be marked down for that for example

Archived