IGNORED

John "must dribble" Stones

Ashtonwurzel

I said when he moved that the fee was ridiculous for a defender that can't defend and wants to be like Messi.

Some people didn't like it and got quite upset.

If he concentrated on being a defender, he may actually start living up to the fee.

If Sterling and him are worth the combined money that those idiots paid, then it's no wonder most clubs are going abroad for players. 

That Bravo lad looks like a dismal signing, don't know if he's adjusting to English football but I can't imagine there's much adjusting nessecary as a keeper. I was never a fan of Joe Hart but based on that performance Bravo isn't even close to that level.

I won't be too harsh on him. He's young for a central defender and I like that he tries to be calm in defence. It'll suit him when he learns when to stay on the ball or get rid. He didn't ask for his price tag. Give the guy a break. If he's the same player in 2-3 years then criticise. You want to support young English players not criticise them. Same with Sterling. They probably aren't worth the fees paid for them but that doesn't make them bad players. Both young with room to improve. Sterling is younger than Freeman I think and Stones is the same age as Magnusson to put into perspective and most here would defend either if they struggled a bit. Do the same for the national players. 

The score line shows a convincing win but if you take away the mistakes and the magic of messi , there weren't really a lot on show and perhaps City were unlucky.

What i dont get is the love in from the media for Barcelona , this morning on talksport and sky news the way they were talking it was like they watched a different game to me. Give praise and credit when its due but last night they both looked really average teams.

24 minutes ago, Turbored said:

The score line shows a convincing win but if you take away the mistakes and the magic of messi , there weren't really a lot on show and perhaps City were unlucky.

What i dont get is the love in from the media for Barcelona , this morning on talksport and sky news the way they were talking it was like they watched a different game to me. Give praise and credit when its due but last night they both looked really average teams.

That was the strange thing Barca were average and I have never seen Messi give the ball away so much yet still scores 3. City created lots of chances maybe they should of played their best striker from the start! what on earth was that all about.

27 minutes ago, yardy said:

Calamity Stones is at it again!

It was decreed a while ago that John Stones was the next best thing. He's believed the hype. Starts turning in some non-league defending.

Time to go back to basics I think, however that's going to be a bit difficult under Pep.

It's worth remembering Stones is only 22.  He will make mistakes.  It just so happens, due to the way that he plays, his mistakes will be more spectacular than others.  It does depress me a bit how quick people are to jump on young English players' backs when they make mistakes - no wonder that more often or not we end up with players who retreat into their shells and get really risk-averse.  

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's worth remembering Stones is only 22.  He will make mistakes.  It just so happens, due to the way that he plays, his mistakes will be more spectacular than others.  It does depress me a bit how quick people are to jump on young English players' backs when they make mistakes - no wonder that more often or not we end up with players who retreat into their shells and get really risk-averse.  

Exactly he his 22 !!! and not a teenager.

The excuse that he is young and therefore can keep repeating the same basic mistakes is surely now redundant. Lucky for him he has been selected as the special one by the media !

5 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

The excuse that he is young and therefore can keep repeating the same basic mistakes is surely now redundant. Lucky for him he has been selected as the specila on by the media !

22 is still extremely young for a defender.  People have unrealistic expectations of footballers. 

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

22 is still extremely young for a defender.  People have unrealistic expectations of footballers. 

Fair enough but he keeps doing the same crazy things and it is worrying that if he hasn't learnt not to do them by the age of 22 then is he ever going to get it ?

Coaches are being very, very patient with him to say the least.

26 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's his nonchalance that has to be a worry. 

15 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

The excuse that he is young and therefore can keep repeating the same basic mistakes is surely now redundant. Lucky for him he has been selected as the special one by the media !

He has been selected by Pep Guardiola. A statement in itself with all the riches at Manchester City Mr Guardiola wanted a English talent. 

The expansive manner he is expected to play e,g bringing the ball out of the thirds, into and under pressure etc will lead to mistakes. Mistakes which as he develops and makes better decisions will (hopefully) lessen in frequency. 

That enlightened approach needs to be encouraged if England as a football nation are to progress beyond a nation looked upon as fit but limited.

34 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

He has been selected by Pep Guardiola. A statement in itself with all the riches at Manchester City Mr Guardiola wanted a English talent. 

The expansive manner he is expected to play e,g bringing the ball out of the thirds, into and under pressure etc will lead to mistakes. Mistakes which as he develops and makes better decisions will (hopefully) lessen in frequency. 

That enlightened approach needs to be encouraged if England as a football nation are to progress beyond a nation looked upon as fit but limited.

He is not good enough to play that way. Amazed that coaches are willing to experiment with him in first team games and watch him cost them roughly a goal every 2 games. Needs to practice his Harlem Globetrotters skills either on loan or in the under 23's for 6 months. The shocking thing is that Stones and Smalling are the England centre halves.

Archived