IGNORED

Bournemouth FC

ploppy

got promoted from League One in the 2012/13 season, consolidated for one season and were then promoted to the Premier League in the 2014/15 and have stayed there since (including looking like staying up this season following a 6-0 victory over Hull). They were led to promotion by a young, well regarded English manager, Eddie Howe.

We got promoted from League One in the 2014/15 season and consolidated last season. We are led by a young, well regarded English manager in Lee Johnson.

After 14 games in Bournemouth's promotion season to the Premier League they were on 24 points, just one more than our current tally of 23.

We are mirroring Bournemouth almost to a tee at the moment, if we kick on from here I don't see why we cannot reach the promised land. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to happen as the Championship seems to strengthen year on year with parachute payments and the like, however all I am saying is that the parallels are certainly there for all to see.

Also worth pointing out they broke the Financial Fair Play rules in the Championship based on the backing of their Russian owner. How do you think they could afford the players they did with no major revenue players sold & crowds of 12000 maximum?

If / when they return to the Championship they will be hit with fines & embargoes as per QPR. Of course they will have parachute payments to soften the blow!!

I would rather that we did it in a sustainable way within the rules. And considering how much we got for Kodjia & Boladie's sell on clause we look pretty good financially this season. Plus crowds of around 20000 help...

4 hours ago, ploppy said:

got promoted from League One in the 2012/13 season, consolidated for one season and were then promoted to the Premier League in the 2014/15 and have stayed there since (including looking like staying up this season following a 6-0 victory over Hull). They were led to promotion by a young, well regarded English manager, Eddie Howe.

We got promoted from League One in the 2014/15 season and consolidated last season. We are led by a young, well regarded English manager in Lee Johnson.

After 14 games in Bournemouth's promotion season to the Premier League they were on 24 points, just one more than our current tally of 23.

We are mirroring Bournemouth almost to a tee at the moment, if we kick on from here I don't see why we cannot reach the promised land. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to happen as the Championship seems to strengthen year on year with parachute payments and the like, however all I am saying is that the parallels are certainly there for all to see.

As Dr B has pointed out, they did so by breaking FFP rules and for which they were subsequently punished (they earnt 90M quid for staying up, so the fine was meaningless chicken feed).

Steve Lansdown shows no signs of breaking FPP rules or going back to the days of profligate wage spending. Quite the reverse.

Any comparison between Bournemouth's success and City's current situation is irrelevant, therefore.

I would suggest forgetting our current Pay off position, as a season without relegation worries ending anywhere in a top half position is a massive step forward.

11 hours ago, ploppy said:

All we need to do now is break all the financial fair play rules and cheat our way to the Prem, because that's what Bournemouth did.

Edit, just seen that this has been covered further up the page!

17 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Similarities. Not parallels. 

Other clubs successes or failures have any baring on us, although it shows what COULD be achieved. And we obviously have a far better set up than Bournemouth. 

We have a bigger/better stadium than Bournmouth,yes-but far better set up????

9 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

I still cannot believe they are up there in the Premier League.

They are such a tiny club... Can only squeeze 11,000 into their stadium. Its surely not sustainable??

Premier league teams dont need a single fan through the gate to be sustainable 

4 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

We have a bigger/better stadium than Bournmouth,yes-but far better set up????

Bigger/better stadium. 

Better non match day revenue potential/facilities (obviously apart from Sky money!)

Bigger fan base. 

Better acadamy set up ?

Better location. 

Owner who genuinely supports the club. 

Apart from current premier league status, I can't think of one advantage Bournemouth have over us..?

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

Premier league teams dont need a single fan through the gate to be sustainable 

Spot on Rob.

TV money is so huge that (whisper it) if Bristol Rovers got up there then their revenues would be similar to the other clubs.

This has got to be the big fear of Sky: that their TV money makes it possible for small clubs, once they've got up, to stay up so you could in theory have a big title race between Bournemouth and Leicester. Or Newport and MK Dons in five years.

The level of crowds / support has such little impact upon funding in the premiership that there is no longer any need to be a "big" club to survive in the premiership; though you do need to be a big club or have a lot if money poured in to get there in the first place.

Archived