IGNORED

Barnsley Pay On The Day.

iamalagerdrinker

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

We'll be there. Great fish & chips...very cheap!

Nice old fashioned ground...and sit where you like.

Me and the other half are two of the 500. Is there a chipper near the ground? I park in the car park next to the ground, never wandered far from there in the past but if there is a chipper nearby I might be adventurous.

Hope you all enjoy a safe trip up North. Barnsley is a brilliant away day, we have a town centre full of pubs and most are beyond welcoming. It's a ten minute walk from town to Oakwell. If you like real ale and away friendly pubs, head for the Number Seven opposite the town hall. Johnno knows all the places, I once bought him a drink in Annie Murray's. There's plenty of chippies too. And Greggs. Lots of Greggs, 

I wish I was wrong, but I anticipate a bad reaction for Johnno. I'd like to think our supporters wouldn't bother but I'm not daft. He'll get some stick initially, until the game gets going. Look, I'm sure even you can understand some fans' ire? Losing 8 games in the league on the bounce, then another defeat away at Altrincham in the FA Cup. 50/50 split among fans on his position. Club stand by him. Things turn around. Gets us winning, then jumps ship at the first opportunity. Granted, to the club he apparently loves.. 

But the majority of Barnsley fans see you as smaller or no bigger than us. So they feel pissed that a chap that could easily have been sacked and trying to get a L2 job didn't show loyalty. I'm not one of those. I happen to be a big believer in folk doing as they please. Lee told me a few months after arriving that "I'm not going to lie to you Andy, if a better job for me comes up, I'd look at it". I've done the same myself. I recently left my comfy job for the job I've always wanted. 

But it's football. It's rivalry. So it will be a bit panto on Saturday. 

But because of my job, I know LJ is well-thought of at Oakwell. Not for his walking out, but for much of what he did in situ. Go back and look at my previous posts on the subject. I have always stated my belief that he'll one day be a top manager. I like Lee. I look forward to seeing him on Saturday. 

So yes, safe journeying to the few who are bothering to visit us. I hope we take the three points and close that playoff gap. Nothing between most sides in this division (again, as I predicted on here previously)  and we're delighted with how we're competing. We're down to the barest of bare bones. Got 17 and 18 year old kids in the team and now no Conor Hourihane, the captain, to go with the other 8 missing players. No loan window. I like it though. It's proper, in my opinion. Doesn't affect the big hitters like Newcastle of course, but that's modern football and the mess we have to live in. But I get enormous pride in seeing my Barnsley side cobbled together for less than a million pounds, mid table, beating your Derby's, QPR's and Wolves etc. 

Enjoy the trip up. 

PS. Buy a programme. 

#YouReds

58 minutes ago, WhiteyBFC said:

Hope you all enjoy a safe trip up North. Barnsley is a brilliant away day, we have a town centre full of pubs and most are beyond welcoming. It's a ten minute walk from town to Oakwell. If you like real ale and away friendly pubs, head for the Number Seven opposite the town hall. Johnno knows all the places, I once bought him a drink in Annie Murray's. There's plenty of chippies too. And Greggs. Lots of Greggs, 

I wish I was wrong, but I anticipate a bad reaction for Johnno. I'd like to think our supporters wouldn't bother but I'm not daft. He'll get some stick initially, until the game gets going. Look, I'm sure even you can understand some fans' ire? Losing 8 games in the league on the bounce, then another defeat away at Altrincham in the FA Cup. 50/50 split among fans on his position. Club stand by him. Things turn around. Gets us winning, then jumps ship at the first opportunity. Granted, to the club he apparently loves.. 

But the majority of Barnsley fans see you as smaller or no bigger than us. So they feel pissed that a chap that could easily have been sacked and trying to get a L2 job didn't show loyalty. I'm not one of those. I happen to be a big believer in folk doing as they please. Lee told me a few months after arriving that "I'm not going to lie to you Andy, if a better job for me comes up, I'd look at it". I've done the same myself. I recently left my comfy job for the job I've always wanted. 

But it's football. It's rivalry. So it will be a bit panto on Saturday. 

But because of my job, I know LJ is well-thought of at Oakwell. Not for his walking out, but for much of what he did in situ. Go back and look at my previous posts on the subject. I have always stated my belief that he'll one day be a top manager. I like Lee. I look forward to seeing him on Saturday. 

So yes, safe journeying to the few who are bothering to visit us. I hope we take the three points and close that playoff gap. Nothing between most sides in this division (again, as I predicted on here previously)  and we're delighted with how we're competing. We're down to the barest of bare bones. Got 17 and 18 year old kids in the team and now no Conor Hourihane, the captain, to go with the other 8 missing players. No loan window. I like it though. It's proper, in my opinion. Doesn't affect the big hitters like Newcastle of course, but that's modern football and the mess we have to live in. But I get enormous pride in seeing my Barnsley side cobbled together for less than a million pounds, mid table, beating your Derby's, QPR's and Wolves etc. 

Enjoy the trip up. 

PS. Buy a programme. 

#YouReds

Is the leisure centre on the hill still away friendly?

Played darts in the metrodome, in the grounds of Oakwell, many many times. There is simply the best steak house, Grille, with Chilli's (indian!) next door, owned by the same people and they'll let you order from both menu's, indian starters and a 16oz ribeye for main, and its next door to a spoons. The high street is amazing, lots of pretty females wearing next to FA :) . Plenty of cheap hotels, the ramada encore at Dodworth is great and its only £5 into the town from there, in Bristol it would be £15. If I didn't run my pub this is one away game where I'd deffo make a weekend of it. The mad farmer from Tarnock, Swindon away singing the wurzels!!!, is going..... good luck Barnsley...

Nobody in my office (work in Barnsley) is particularly bothered about LJ. That's not to say they won't join in with a good old BOOOOOO, but like Whitey they recognise that he's a good manager, are disappointed in the circumstances of his departure but have moved on. I've been pleasantly surprised by Barnsley this season, they've competed well (puts our struggles last season in perspective IMO) and done so playing decent football. I think (hope!) injuries will take their toll on them this Saturday though so I'm looking for a comfortable City win

Drinking-wise, Old No.7 is a good shout, so long as you like real ale and sticky floors. The Wetherspoons- Joseph Bramah and The Silkstone are decent too, though the service always seems to be crap on a match day. There's a micro pub in the arcade that I've yet to visit if you're really into your craft beer too. I'm not aware of any pubs that are no-go for away fans in the town centre, so long as you keep it respectful it's a decent place for a few beers/ciders pre-match. @WhiteyBFC would probably know better than me though 

What is it with our away support up North? This is not a dig in anyway but I'm just curious as to why. Anything north of Birmingham and we struggle to muster 500? But QPR away on a Tuesday night we take over 1,000..

Don't get me wrong, I think our away support is great but it's not consistent. Especially with a average home gate of 20,000 this season

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

What is it with our away support up North? This is not a dig in anyway but I'm just curious as to why. Anything north of Birmingham and we struggle to muster 500? But QPR away on a Tuesday night we take over 1,000..

Don't get me wrong, I think our away support is great but it's not consistent. Especially with a average home gate of 20,000 this season

Lots of London based reds I assume

28 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You realise you are describing places getting steadily further away from Bristol?

33 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

London - one "easy" train.

North of Brum - routes with connections and expensive CrossCountry fares (with savings available if you split ticket). 

11 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

London - one "easy" train.

North of Brum - routes with connections and expensive CrossCountry fares (with savings available if you split ticket). 

That's a fair point. But getting into and around London is a nightmare

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

That's a fair point. But getting into and around London is a nightmare

London's a bit of a day out though. Barnsley, less so. Plus, it's a 3 hour train to Sheffield then another 20-30 min train to Barnsley. And it's Barnsley

I suspect most other teams would note a drop in away attendance the more onerous the journey

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

We won't struggle to get 500 to Barnsley. We have already sold over that and potd will probably push it over 700. 

I've been to Barnsley when we've had 4,000, so it largely depends on the timing and profile of the game. i.e.: how important/attractive it's deemed to be. 

We will sell out Newcastle and that's further, but more attractive. 

Lots of London based City fans plus the "day out" always make London more appealing. 

The majority of people will pick and choose away games and I doubt many get to excited about Barnsley away at the End of October. 

I think only a few clubs numbers won't vary depending on distance and Reading will probably be the next big away following. 

Archived