IGNORED

The M25

Jack Dawe

It's 30 years old this week. Before this fine orbital came into being, away trips to Gillingham were a laborious, mind-numbing nightmare. A drag. Likewise trips to Southend, Ipswich and Colchester and one or two others besides. And trips to Dover* would've been likewise, had we been in a league with that particular non-league minnow (how do you play a "league" game against a "non-league" club?)

Nowadays, trips to Gillingham are not even on our radar**, but if it was, the M25 would be smoothing the way and making it a doddle to get to the far side of the smoke. A pleasure, even. Who among us cannot say the M25 improved our visits to Gillingham's well appointed Priestfield "Stadium" no end? Almost as much as Messrs Cotterill, Smith, Wagstaff and Emmanuel-Thomas in 2014/15. 

My last visit there - and I think my first - before the M25, was by train, when the club ran a football special and a few Millwall turned up to say hello. If the club were not running trains that way before Oct 86, and you drove, it was through the centre of London or round the south circular, if I remember right? So, hats off to the M25. Looking forward to my next trip to Kent already.

To put it in terms that football people will understand, the M25 made Gillingham a not-so difficult place to go. The M25 has been good to us Bristol City fans.

The M32? Not for me. It's a bit too gas.

* and Dagenham & Redbridge, Braintree, Barnet etc, etc

** there's always the FA Cup.....

54 minutes ago, harrys said:

I was on that special, can't remember Millwall there, think we won 3-1 with Bobby Hutchinson scoring, my memories of the town was that it was a dump and Brian Moore being their celeb' supporter

Didn`t it snow like buggery and we were on that big open terrace? I think it was a cheap special as the previous trip to Orient the train broke down and we didn`t get there till half time.

Definitely remember a load of bricks and bottles coming over the back of the end but thought it was just disgruntled locals who`d left early cos we were stuffing them.

30 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Yep, the biggest car park in Europe!

That's the old joke. Now it's the world's biggest rolling road block in order to keep Britain's most hopeless drivers inside London and the rest of the country safe.

The main thing we owe to the M25 is that the Uber app doesn't allow all the Toyota Prius driving clowns out into the rest of the UK to cause havoc for the rest of you.

Uber itself has escaped into the country, but from what I can tell Bristolian common sense has stopped it taking off.

15 hours ago, Olé said:

That's the old joke. Now it's the world's biggest rolling road block in order to keep Britain's most hopeless drivers inside London and the rest of the country safe.

The main thing we owe to the M25 is that the Uber app doesn't allow all the Toyota Prius driving clowns out into the rest of the UK to cause havoc for the rest of you.

Uber itself has escaped into the country, but from what I can tell Bristolian common sense has stopped it taking off.

Bristolian common sense? You're not extending that attribute to the council I hope. 

22 hours ago, finbarr_in_z said:

I used to live in Guildford Surrey pretty much when the M25 was completed and relatively unused. I knew a couple of people who managed to do a complete circuit of the M25 in just over an hour. You do the maths.

Used to be a regular competition 

Archived