IGNORED

Joel Ekstrand mystery

cityred exile

Anybody know the whereabouts of our other Swedish international?  L J reported around 2 weeks ago that he has been unwell ,but was supposedly back in training ,  But has not been seen at the matches as far as I am aware          I reckon if fit  then surely he should have been considered for selection of at least the subs bench against Hull     When he did have a little run out was coincidentally was when Flinty was having his dodgy 3/4 games 6/7 weeks back!

17 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

No bother, we have Moore who is pretty good already at a young age

Not really the point, the question is about Ekstrand who comes here highly rated and is probably on reasonably good money. He's also left footed so more competition for Magnusson anyway.

Shame he hasn't played much, when he's fit he's great at this level.

48 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not really the point, the question is about Ekstrand who comes here highly rated and is probably on reasonably good money. He's also left footed so more competition for Magnusson anyway.

He's right footed and I don't think CB is a position it matters too much. He's competition for everyone when fit. We just haven't seen him fit 

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree,if and when he regains full fitness he will give LJ a real headache as he would command a starting place..

5 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He's right footed and I don't think CB is a position it matters too much. He's competition for everyone when fit. We just haven't seen him fit 

Fine, didn't know that - thought he was left footed. I think it does matter, not as much as a winger for example but gives a bit more natural balance to a side if the correct sided player is played on that side. 

It is a shame but he was definitely a gamble and has had a serious injury that has seen him fail medicals at other clubs.

Realistically he was being brought in for extra cover at CB (with a hope of him recapturing his Watford form/fitness)  I can't see him being on massive wages, more of lower basic with pay as you play and free use of our medical team and facilities.

He still might come through but the signs (or lack of) are that he will be on his way.

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's actually predominantly right footed but can play on the left. It was Stockhausen (!) who incorrectly wrote he was left footed.

I see him simply as cover for Flint and as excellent as Moore was midweek, I think him and Magnusson would struggle if paired against a side with an aerially dominant forward.

Without sounding too blasé I am really not bothered about his absence at present, Flint's availability record is truly exceptional and we have signed one outstanding central defender to partner him and on Tuesdays evidence have another with massive potential.

Plus of course he is only on a one year deal...

After he did play and was substituted, LJ said he was struggling - i.e. lacking match fitness rather than any lingering injury issues. He said his brain was working faster than his body. Presumably we are waiting for him to get his stamina up to acceptable levels.

LJ said he'd been really ill and had lost lots of weight.

Add that on to the end of an extended absence through injury and it will take him longer to recover. He's probably in his own "pre-season" regime now, which means he'll be ready for the reserves in about 3 weeks before competing for the first team a few games later.

We don't have to rush him back, so why bother? He should be fit and ready to add extra cover during the Christmas period, which will be very important to allow LJ to rest and rotate players, as we know he likes to do!

Archived