IGNORED

The Official Barnsley v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Only been there once, 2-1 win and I seem to recall a Shelton chip for the second. I stand to be corrected.

I have now turned over a new leaf, I will no longer bet on City. All this year I have not got one right until Tuesday, where for a trial I bet both teams to score and Hull to win, I would rather City win and I didn't so no more and just a hearty COYR !

Another great game thread @havanatopia , glad the funeral went as well as can be expected, went to a friends funeral earlier in the year and that was played/sung after the service, surprisingly moving. 

Great read, as always is and always will be; love the memory you've shared of walking to the ground with your father.  Wish I was going there today to see the exact same sight at the other side of the hill.

City to win today, 2-1, with Tammy and Tomlin to both register.  Hope the fantastic city fans who do travel can sing many renditions of 'One for the Bristol City'.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

24 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone.

Oakwell is a special ground for me. Not only because I find the walk over the hill and down into the 'well' of the stadium a very pleasing one where mingling with the Tykes seems such a natural pre match day experience but also because it was the last away match I attended with my Father. And He shared my sentiments about the place; his words to me were that 'Barnsley has a grand stadium, one you would not expect to see as your eyes turn downhill after walking over the brow'. I probably have that program tucked away somewhere and I will treasure it. For now, I am not entirely sure what year that was but one of the seasons we spent in the Championship before our last relegation. We have a significant upper hand over Barnsley in all competitions though, W41, D20 and L30.

Barnzli as a local would have you pronounce the town was rather a hanger on to the practice of work houses and did not adopt the Poor Laws until 1850 some 16 odd years after the first enactment. Barnsley, of course, was the quintessential northern coal mining town and was at the forefront of the struggle against the government in the 1980's against mass closures. Many will remember Arthur Scargill, born in Barnsley, leading the march to the Orgreave Colliery in 1984. Barnsley was and remains rather poor but those attitudes of holding back the tide of progress and change, for good or for ill, somewhat epitomises the spirit of the culture of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Barnsley sits half way between Leeds and Sheffield and lost out to both in terms of development and cultural inflows over many decades. That indomitable spirit grew from that and perhaps explains why the locals are some of the friendliest I have had the pleasure of meeting in my lifetime. 

Barnsley Football Club is no doubt a fairly common bond between the 100,000 souls who call the town their home. Born in 1887 as Barnsley St. Peter's and for all but one of the years since the club have played at Oakwell. On previous Barnsley match day threads I have talked about the club and its supporters in more detail. The club have had some fairly well known characters manage them down the years though such as Norman Hunter, Viv Anderson, Mel Machin and Danny Wilson of course on two occasions. And it was Danny who famously took Barnsley to the Premier League for their single season in the top flight in the 1997/98 season. in 1922 they almost made it to the top flight, missing out by a single goal. They did produce some rather special players though but alas selling them on to First Division clubs all but ended their dreams of reaching that pinnacle of English football. The likes of Danny Blanchflower and Tommy Taylor being sold on in the 40's and 50' to Villa and Manchester United respectively. And for the majority of their existence they have lived in the 2nd tier with regular relegations to the third. 

Today, with Lee Johnson returning to Oakwell for the first time since his departure, will of course make for a more interesting than otherwise it would have been. Paul Heckinbotham reckons Bristol City is Lee's Real Madrid management job in a rather cheeky yet innocent remark he made earlier this week. After the rather dour performances of late, especially the QPR game, I suppose we would all rather like a sea change in quality on the pitch and anything remotely approaching that quality would be most welcome would it not?

I suspect the two teams might just cancel each other out today though as both managers know a lot about each other. However, you would think that Lee has a slight advantage with his knowledge of Barnsley, the team. I shall just sit on the fence on this one and predict a 1-1 stalemate.

I salute all the marvellous City fans making the long journey today. Hope you all set off in good time and bring back the spoils.

And finally....'One for the Bristol City' is still ringing in my ears as the 150 filed out of the funeral to my Father on Thursday.. a marvellously fitting send off. Good day all.

With you on this one..

Barnsley chop 1,Real Bristol 1....

Pleased to hear your Dads funeral went well...

With their captain and arguably most influential player suspended, Hourihane, plus the supposed sickness bug, might be the perfect time to play them. Hope we really go for it, would love to see Tammy start with Engval up front, they will be expecting Tammy on his own.

Side for me: Frankie, Matthews, Flint, Hordur, Golbourne, GON (cm), Reid (rm), COD (lm), Tomlin in the hole, Engval & Tammy up top.

Edited by old_eastender
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone.

Oakwell is a special ground for me. Not only because I find the walk over the hill and down into the 'well' of the stadium a very pleasing one where mingling with the Tykes seems such a natural pre match day experience but also because it was the last away match I attended with my Father. And He shared my sentiments about the place; his words to me were that 'Barnsley has a grand stadium, one you would not expect to see as your eyes turn downhill after walking over the brow'. I probably have that program tucked away somewhere and I will treasure it. For now, I am not entirely sure what year that was but one of the seasons we spent in the Championship before our last relegation. We have a significant upper hand over Barnsley in all competitions though, W41, D20 and L30.

Barnzli as a local would have you pronounce the town was rather a hanger on to the practice of work houses and did not adopt the Poor Laws until 1850 some 16 odd years after the first enactment. Barnsley, of course, was the quintessential northern coal mining town and was at the forefront of the struggle against the government in the 1980's against mass closures. Many will remember Arthur Scargill, born in Barnsley, leading the march to the Orgreave Colliery in 1984. Barnsley was and remains rather poor but those attitudes of holding back the tide of progress and change, for good or for ill, somewhat epitomises the spirit of the culture of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Barnsley sits half way between Leeds and Sheffield and lost out to both in terms of development and cultural inflows over many decades. That indomitable spirit grew from that and perhaps explains why the locals are some of the friendliest I have had the pleasure of meeting in my lifetime. 

Barnsley Football Club is no doubt a fairly common bond between the 100,000 souls who call the town their home. Born in 1887 as Barnsley St. Peter's and for all but one of the years since the club have played at Oakwell. On previous Barnsley match day threads I have talked about the club and its supporters in more detail. The club have had some fairly well known characters manage them down the years though such as Norman Hunter, Viv Anderson, Mel Machin and Danny Wilson of course on two occasions. And it was Danny who famously took Barnsley to the Premier League for their single season in the top flight in the 1997/98 season. in 1922 they almost made it to the top flight, missing out by a single goal. They did produce some rather special players though but alas selling them on to First Division clubs all but ended their dreams of reaching that pinnacle of English football. The likes of Danny Blanchflower and Tommy Taylor being sold on in the 40's and 50' to Villa and Manchester United respectively. And for the majority of their existence they have lived in the 2nd tier with regular relegations to the third. 

Today, with Lee Johnson returning to Oakwell for the first time since his departure, will of course make for a more interesting than otherwise it would have been. Paul Heckinbotham reckons Bristol City is Lee's Real Madrid management job in a rather cheeky yet innocent remark he made earlier this week. After the rather dour performances of late, especially the QPR game, I suppose we would all rather like a sea change in quality on the pitch and anything remotely approaching that quality would be most welcome would it not?

I suspect the two teams might just cancel each other out today though as both managers know a lot about each other. However, you would think that Lee has a slight advantage with his knowledge of Barnsley, the team. I shall just sit on the fence on this one and predict a 1-1 stalemate.

I salute all the marvellous City fans making the long journey today. Hope you all set off in good time and bring back the spoils.

And finally....'One for the Bristol City' is still ringing in my ears as the 150 filed out of the funeral to my Father on Thursday.. a marvellously fitting send off. Good day all.

Condensed Version

Barnzli:

Oakwell is special place with special memories.

A shit hole between Leeds and Sheffield but very friendly locals.

Lee Johnson thought he was getting the Real Madrid job but got off at the wrong airport.

2-1 City

• Like 2

My Barnsley-supporting friends are fairly gloomy about this-apparently they have 9 players unavailable from their 'full strength' squad. Therefore, I'm predicting 1-0 to The Tykes 

Only kidding, I reckon 2-0 to City, Tammy and Flint to score

Excellent OP @havanatopia, Oakwell is the ground I have visited most in Britain (other than AG, though it's actually pretty close) and it's a special fixture for me too. Mainly for bragging rights at work. Glad to hear the funeral was as happy a time as these things can be

One correction from your OP; Orgreave was actually a coking works, not a colliery. Hopefully it'll soon be known as part of the title of an Independent Enquiry too

Edited by chipdawg
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Only been there once, 2-1 win and I seem to recall a Shelton chip for the second. I stand to be corrected.

I have now turned over a new leaf, I will no longer bet on City. All this year I have not got one right until Tuesday, where for a trial I bet both teams to score and Hull to win, I would rather City win and I didn't so no more and just a hearty COYR !

Another great game thread @havanatopia , glad the funeral went as well as can be expected, went to a friends funeral earlier in the year and that was played/sung after the service, surprisingly moving. 

Was there too for that Sheldon chip ... think it was early 90s and a good day out.

Remember we got there early and the pub had got some Cider in specially for the City fan's - also had the stereotypical old man with a wippet in the corner of the pub.

COYR!!!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Two defences leakier than a welsh housewife's soup.  3-1 to Bristol.

Only Forest & Rotherham have conceded more than Barnsley, but only Newcastle & Norwich have scored more! 

Surely today is a banker for goals galore betting..? 0-0 it is then. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Palmers Green Red said:

Was there too for that Sheldon chip ... think it was early 90s and a good day out.

Remember we got there early and the pub had got some Cider in specially for the City fan's - also had the stereotypical old man with a wippet in the corner of the pub.

COYR!!!

And me. Don't remember much about the place though, except it's grim op north

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's 4 very good players, but it lacks balance.  Not sure how it will work.  Korey Smith as an inside left is an interesting idea..

I imagine it will be 3 central with Tomlin sitting just in front in a free role. 

Almost more of a 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 to be exact. 

• Like 2