IGNORED

Defending from Corners

Marlborough Red

Never understand why we have everybody back in our own area for an opposition corner. Allows all their big defenders to come up with no risk . Rather see 2 front players staying up top which would mean the other side have to have at least 3 men back to cover.(4 including the goalkeeper)

Numbers tell the story -all back , they have max 9 in the box we have 11, 2 staying up top , they have max  6 in the box we have 9. A bigger numerical advantage for us . Needed as we have not been great at defending corners this season. Not such a crowded area so perhaps easier to follow opposition movements  Also gives us a chance to make a fast break after winning the corner.

I often hear a couple of people, repeatedly! Stating this point of view at matches. 

I agree that it does make sense, however, it's hardly a subtle tactical suggestion that may not have been noticed by managers, so I'm sure there are reasons why it's not done. 

Some people seem intent of screaming it out at every set piece, as though our manager (it's not something new under LJ) hasn't realised that it's an option!

Personally, I agree and would like 1 or 2 players on the half way. I think it adds to their pressure of keeping the ball away from our keeper, for fear of a break away and I think a less crowded penalty area makes defending easier, even if it's letting the ball go out of play. 

There must be a valid, deliberate reason why we don't do it and I'm not about to get myself as worked up about it as some do, who really look like they are endangering their health whilst berating our manager to push a play or 2 up field! 

Does anybody know the actual reason why we opt not to leave a player(s) upfield..?

6 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Never understand why we have everybody back in our own area for an opposition corner. Allows all their big defenders to come up with no risk . Rather see 2 front players staying up top which would mean the other side have to have at least 3 men back to cover.(4 including the goalkeeper)

Numbers tell the story -all back , they have max 9 in the box we have 11, 2 staying up top , they have max  6 in the box we have 9. A bigger numerical advantage for us . Needed as we have not been great at defending corners this season. Not such a crowded area so perhaps easier to follow opposition movements  Also gives us a chance to make a fast break after winning the corner.

I agree, absolutely boils my piss!! Especially when we clear it and it comes straight back unchallenged.

I'd leave 2 or 3 up every time. Less crowded area should make it easier for the keeper to come as well.

Seems every manager does it though, so maybe we're wrong!!

It's probably a percentages thing. If you kept two players out of the penalty area one up front and one between the 18 yard area and half way, who is to say if the ball is cleared it would go to them anyway.

It's more likely that if you crowd the area and gain possession, you can then break at speed taking advantage of their defenders out of position. 

The alternative is to lump a 50/50 ball up to a player who in fairness is not likely to be the tallest  (as he would be in the box).

Corners in the modern day game, will on average give the defending team a chance to attack at pace. controlling the football and clear the area quicker.

Stevo

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I often hear a couple of people, repeatedly! Stating this point of view at matches. 

I agree that it does make sense, however, it's hardly a subtle tactical suggestion that may not have been noticed by managers, so I'm sure there are reasons why it's not done. 

Some people seem intent of screaming it out at every set piece, as though our manager (it's not something new under LJ) hasn't realised that it's an option!

Personally, I agree and would like 1 or 2 players on the half way. I think it adds to their pressure of keeping the ball away from our keeper, for fear of a break away and I think a less crowded penalty area makes defending easier, even if it's letting the ball go out of play. 

There must be a valid, deliberate reason why we don't do it and I'm not about to get myself as worked up about it as some do, who really look like they are endangering their health whilst berating our manager to push a play or 2 up field! 

Does anybody know the actual reason why we opt not to leave a player(s) upfield..?

Need at least one up there. I'd prefer Tomlin as he can hold it up well and has a trick or two that could lead to exciting things happening. I agree that it doesn't wind me up too much but when it gets cleared they're right back on us. It does seem to invite pressure 

Its a case of marginal gains and the Managers perception of what they are. There are variables but the benefit of leaving player on the half way can be negligible . He will affect little v cutting the space between half way line and box in two which prevents players joining in with more opportunity to defend second balls outside of the box, or as a additional defender/blocker/distraction.

A bit of a catch 22 situation in my opinion but I wonder if having too many players defending who are capable of winning headers, Flint, Maggs, Bryant, Tammy, Pack, means that sometimes players think someone else will make the challenge instead of themselves. That's my opinion on why opposing players are winning free headers despite us having almost everyone defending in the box. We are conceding from corners anyway so why not try something different?

I believe that the modern defensive philosophy is to put as many bodies in the penalty area as possible to reduce the amount of space available to attackers - lots of bodies stop attackers from making long runs to jump higher.

Personally I would rather have one or two midway between the penalty area and halfway to help reduce the pressure by scrapping for clearances. One must also note that for Hull to score two goals direct from a corner is against all the stats I've seen recently with figures of around 2% of corners leading directly to a goal.

It was stated in the article that I read, that British crowds greet the corner with a burst of cheering, yet European fans rarely do so. Perhaps because, apart from rare incidents like Hull, so few goals are scored from corners.  

Remember Tinnion setting us up like this at corners with 3 men up the pitch effectively forcing 5 defenders back. 

Sod numbers in the box what p1sses me off every time we concede is the fact that what i was taught age 8, to put a man on both posts, the very first basic thing of defending a corner, seems to be completely ignored. 

1st goal for Hull the other night doesnt go in if we defend the posts. Happened various times under Cotts too. 

Does my head in!! :grr:

8 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Remember Tinnion setting us up like this at corners with 3 men up the pitch effectively forcing 5 defenders back. 

Sod numbers in the box what p1sses me off every time we concede is the fact that what i was taught age 8, to put a man on both posts, the very first basic thing of defending a corner, seems to be completely ignored. 

1st goal for Hull the other night doesnt go in if we defend the posts. Happened various times under Cotts too. 

Does my head in!! :grr:

Tell LJ then, he must not know

What also annoys me is when we take a corner or free-kick into the box and don't have someone out wide on the opposite side. How often do you see the ball either sailing over everyone or being touched and going that way with no-one there to pick it up? 

I'm sure this used to be a basic tactic when wingers were more common yet very few teams seem to do it nowadays. Lost count of the number of times I've seen this happen with us at AG.

7 hours ago, Bob Binalong said:

There were 120 corners taken in last weekend's Championship matches.  Only 3 led to goals.  To let in two in a game suggests more work is needed by our defence coaches.

Definitely seems a weakness there, last season we were dominating play against Burnley and they did us with identical goals from corners.

8 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

What also annoys me is when we take a corner or free-kick into the box and don't have someone out wide on the opposite side. How often do you see the ball either sailing over everyone or being touched and going that way with no-one there to pick it up? 

I'm sure this used to be a basic tactic when wingers were more common yet very few teams seem to do it nowadays. Lost count of the number of times I've seen this happen with us at AG.

I remember Alan Crawford always used to hang around out there and got a fair few goals that way.

Archived