IGNORED

Brighton not bringing many fans?

Never to the dark side

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

What was their numbers last season? I remember they brought a few to the old AG in the EastEnd. 

They're a funny one Brighton, they haven't really achieved anything to shout about. A few stints like us! 

They were a top flight club and took United to a replay in the Cup Final when I was a kid - obviously not reached those heights for 30 years or so
They had quite a few at the Gate last season, although they were going well at the time, but it was a Tuesday night

And, my God, they were superb that night

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

On sky and on bonfire night. People can have the match on and still enjoy the evening with friends. I imagine it'll keep many people away from actually attending including a few season card holders. 

I am a  STH and have 260 mile round trip and not missed a home match in 4 seasons   It wont stop me coming down to watch the match  I will record the game and relive it again when I get home

20 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

I am a  STH and have 260 mile round trip and not missed a home match in 4 seasons   It wont stop me coming down to watch the match  I will record the game and relive it again when I get home

This is my preferred method of watching city as well though I don't have sky. Done it the last couple FA Cup matches we've had on tv though. Not as far to go as you though so fair play! I do think some will forego the match on Saturday though. 

2 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

The atmosphere has been generally much worse at Ashton Gate since the EE shut. This has been just about the best season for atmosphere since the rebuild but doesn't compare to what AG used to be like in around 08 in that playoff season. 

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the effect of finally getting a new stadium coupled with being based in an affluent city and visible year on year progression. This is achievable for us too, if we progress each year, invest in exciting players and play good football - the crowds will follow. 

Two factors which also need to be right are the pricing and promotion. I think our promotion really needs to improve.

I don't know, 29,000 in a 27,000 seater seems a bit tough ;)

59 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Well Uwe Roslers opinion is gospel. 

Doesn't matter who it was, a rival manager came out and praised our home support. Would Owen Coyle, or any other manager for that matter have even considered saying similar about us this season? I don't think so.

9 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Doesn't matter who it was, a rival manager came out and praised our home support. Would Owen Coyle, or any other manager for that matter have even considered saying similar about us this season? I don't think so.

And why would Owen Coyle give opposition fans praise when his team lost? 

And most importantly, who cares what rival managers say about our fans? When we were averaging 13,000 fans at the bottom end of league 1 which you so fondly remember we lost most of our home games. With a 20,000 crowd and a revamped stadium we've lost 1 home game this season, against the best team in the league. Somethings working..

1 hour ago, Sergio Georgini said:

And why would Owen Coyle give opposition fans praise when his team lost? 

And most importantly, who cares what rival managers say about our fans? When we were averaging 13,000 fans at the bottom end of league 1 which you so fondly remember we lost most of our home games. With a 20,000 crowd and a revamped stadium we've lost 1 home game this season, against the best team in the league. Somethings working..

Well yeah, something is working, we have a fantastic group of players and a great manager.

Thats a different subject though, atmosphere is now crap whatever way you look at it.

On 01/11/2016 at 10:34, Lew-T said:

Brighton aren't a massive club, some people forget that. They've had a very good spell in the last few years but they've still got work to do if they want to establish themselves as ' massive '

I believe their profile/stock is to rise..

Would be surprised should they not go up 'automatic'...

A point on Saturday would be good work,but sadly see our first defeat by more than the odd goal.

12 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

So because one manager once said our fans "get behind the team" - a clichéd, throwaway comment - that means that our atmosphere is definitely not as good now as it was when were at the bottom of League One, because no one has said anything similar since?  Hmm.

21 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So because one manager once said our fans "get behind the team" - a clichéd, throwaway comment - that means that our atmosphere is definitely not as good now as it was when were at the bottom of League One, because no one has said anything similar since?  Hmm.

Just something I used to reinforce my point mate. I can't remember the Gate ever being as quiet as it was against Blackburn, and even when we were at our worst and bottom of League One it was better, which the Rosler article(s) backs me up on. It wasn't just one little comment like that either.

“I have to give Bristol City supporters the thumbs up.

“How they supported their team when they were 2-0 down, bottom of the league, having come from the Championship – well done to them. I wish we had that at our home games.”

9 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Just something I used to reinforce my point mate. I can't remember the Gate ever being as quiet as it was against Blackburn, and even when we were at our worst and bottom of League One it was better, which the Rosler article(s) backs me up on. It wasn't just one little comment like that either.

“How they supported their team when they were 2-0 down, bottom of the league, having come from the Championship – well done to them. I wish we had that at our home games.”

I feel like a broken record as I've said similar many times but I really think it's partly down to the location of S82. They're the catalyst for the whole ground right now but as it stands they're in the worst possible location. It's disconnected, bad acoustics and crucially there's no room for growth there. 

If they were in the middle of the south stand (which I think is an ugly stand) I am certain the atmosphere would be so much better because people would join in. As it stands people in the dolman or south stand are much less inclined to be a lone voice singing along with the Atyeo than they would be if that group were in better location mixed in with the rest of the stadium.

16 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I do think you have a point. From my experience of City supporters, we've always been voicerous when it's backs to the wall. Games where we've been 'expected' to win, are usually quite flat. 

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I do think you have a point. From my experience of City supporters, we've always been voicerous when it's backs to the wall. Games where we've been 'expected' to win, are usually quite flat. 

Very true - I think the season that stands out for me in recent years as being particularly vociferous is the 07/08 playoff season. We were real underdogs that season and ground out some big results. The fans rallied round the players and we had some great atmospheres - Palace playoff being the highlight. I remember Phil Brown commenting on the atmosphere and a few other opposing managers.

Great days.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Very true - I think the season that stands out for me in recent years as being particularly vociferous is the 07/08 playoff season. We were real underdogs that season and ground out some big results. The fans rallied round the players and we had some great atmospheres - Palace playoff being the highlight. I remember Phil Brown commenting on the atmosphere and a few other opposing managers.

Great days.

That palace semi final is something that never leaves me. I've never known a atmosphere like it! Beats the Hartlepool game IMO 

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I feel like a broken record as I've said similar many times but I really think it's partly down to the location of S82. They're the catalyst for the whole ground right now but as it stands they're in the worst possible location. It's disconnected, bad acoustics and crucially there's no room for growth there. 

If they were in the middle of the south stand (which I think is an ugly stand) I am certain the atmosphere would be so much better because people would join in. As it stands people in the dolman or south stand are much less inclined to be a lone voice singing along with the Atyeo than they would be if that group were in better location mixed in with the rest of the stadium.

Can think that they will be there for too much longer-wouldnt be a surprise if 'all 'change' for next season..

Archived