IGNORED

RPZ's

Lord Northski

Just wondered if anyone thinks they're still a crap idea, apart that is from those who want to commute into someone else's area and park outside someone else's house for free whilst they go to work. Always thought that people complain about it until they realised that life's so much better with them, and that George was actually right about that and he was probably right about the 20 mph zones too. Albeit that they're on too many of the major arterial roads, but on purely residential roads they make a lot of sense. 

The ones around Southville? Absolute nightmare.  It's not that I am against them but they needed to be post work time. That is when the local residents have trouble parking. In the day most of the spaces along north street and side roads are completely empty.  On the other side of North Street where there is no RPZ the streets are crammed full of people who work around there. You see, there was *no* problem with parking during the day.. only the evening.

I would broadly welcome a 6pm - 8am RPZ in Southville but it ain't happening is it..

• Admin

I am far from convinced that the 20mph zones are are good thing, the placing of some of them seems bizarre and ill thought out.  No problem with the flashing lights, 20mph areas round schools in the morning and afternoon, but some of them are OTT for 24 hour enforcement.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/3716.html

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I am far from convinced that the 20mph zones are are good thing, the placing of some of them seems bizarre and ill thought out.  No problem with the flashing lights, 20mph areas round schools in the morning and afternoon, but some of them are OTT for 24 hour enforcement.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/3716.html

By all accounts all research done on the 20mph areas points to a much better flow of traffic 

• Admin
39 minutes ago, Rob k said:

By all accounts all research done on the 20mph areas points to a much better flow of traffic 

There are loads of nonsensical ones around Whitchurch, the road I live in is 20mph, the road off it which is narrower and has less visibility 30mph - who comes up with what appears to be random sections of 20mph.  None of the roads I am talking about have enough traffic for the speed to make any difference to flow.

I would say from experience that 95% of people just ignore the speeds on certain roads, for that many to be doing it, it would suggest that the restriction isn't warranted, especially 24/7.

14 hours ago, Tomarse said:

The ones around Southville? Absolute nightmare.  It's not that I am against them but they needed to be post work time. That is when the local residents have trouble parking. In the day most of the spaces along north street and side roads are completely empty.  On the other side of North Street where there is no RPZ the streets are crammed full of people who work around there. You see, there was *no* problem with parking during the day.. only the evening.

I would broadly welcome a 6pm - 8am RPZ in Southville but it ain't happening is it..

Agree entirely. I live on North Street. Couldn't care less who parks there during the day, we all have to get to work. But when I get home in the evening and can't park in the place I live, that's when it's a problem.

Overall hate the RPZ scheme, should never have been implemented.

12 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

There are loads of nonsensical ones around Whitchurch, the road I live in is 20mph, the road off it which is narrower and has less visibility 30mph - who comes up with what appears to be random sections of 20mph.  None of the roads I am talking about have enough traffic for the speed to make any difference to flow.

I would say from experience that 95% of people just ignore the speeds on certain roads, for that many to be doing it, it would suggest that the restriction isn't warranted, especially 24/7.

I would suggest that in a 20mph most people go 24-27mph.  In a 30mph most people go 32-35mph.  Probably 7-8mph slower rather than 10mph but all helps save lives. 

On 02/11/2016 at 19:47, Tomarse said:

There was a massive problem with parking during the day - the council weren't getting paid for it.  That's the only thing that any of the RPZs have been designed to fix.  Ferguson is a total liar.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

There was a massive problem with parking during the day - the council weren't getting paid for it.  That's the only thing that any of the RPZs have been designed to fix.  Ferguson is a total liar.

But.. in Southville they could have got paid for it in the evenings and IMO probably made more than they do in the day. As it is everyone parks on the Bedminster side of North Street at mo.

But like you say.. its all about teh moneys

Archived