IGNORED

Fireworks

Slippin cider

I listened to an interesting radio article regarding Fireworks and whether or not they should be on sale to joe public...after all ,they are explosives ,and in the wrong hands can cause all kinds of damage and distress and can easily kill. My personal opinion is it's time they were banned from being openly sold in shops and supermarkets and restricted to designated public displays. Im amazed the H&S brigade haven't jumped on this before now. 

Even as a kid I was never interested in them but I can understand the attraction for children to see them, and in a safe environment that's fine . But when you can stroll in to your local Aldi, spend 20-30 quid on a box and, in the wrong hands ,do what you like with them,I question that .

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

I listened to an interesting radio article regarding Fireworks and whether or not they should be on sale to joe public...after all ,they are explosives ,and in the wrong hands can cause all kinds of damage and distress and can easily kill. My personal opinion is it's time they were banned from being openly sold in shops and supermarkets and restricted to designated public displays. Im amazed the H&S brigade haven't jumped on this before now. 

Even as a kid I was never interested in them but I can understand the attraction for children to see them, and in a safe environment that's fine . But when you can stroll in to your local Aldi, spend 20-30 quid on a box and, in the wrong hands ,do what you like with them,I question that .

I don't see a problem with it at the moment unless I'm missing news stories of people getting injured by shop-bought fireworks.  

Why shouldn't I be able to buy some fireworks and do a display in my back garden for my kids like I've done for the past three years?

43 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I don't see a problem with it at the moment unless I'm missing news stories of people getting injured by shop-bought fireworks.  

Why shouldn't I be able to buy some fireworks and do a display in my back garden for my kids like I've done for the past three years?

No problems with you doing a little display in your back garden because i know you will be responsible but it when these fireworks get in the hands of the less responsible that's when it becomes a problem

5 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

No problems with you doing a little display in your back garden because i know you will be responsible but it when these fireworks get in the hands of the less responsible that's when it becomes a problem

Yes but banning them would mean I cannot do it.  you could say that knives should be banned as well because there is knife crime

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Yes but banning them would mean I cannot do it.  you could say that knives should be banned as well because there is knife crime

Wouldn't like to see a ban as it would affect people like yourself but having a situation where anyone can get hold of them from anywhere anytime is clearly causing problems

It is the whole gun argument again. 'Why should I give up my guns when I'm responsible?' Sadly that is true for most laws. Most of us are responsible enough to drive at a sensible speed or not steal but the minority let us all down.

However I'd be worried that a black market of home made or imported fireworks would appear which do not meet safety standards and may be prone to failure or huge explosions which are much more dangerous. For that reason I'd keep the fireworks but I'd increase the purchase age to 25.

Who can forget going over to Kenn Moor and finding some old fella fishing with a freshly laid cowpat nearby. Put a Banger horizontally into the cowpat, light and then run like the clappers while glancing over your shoulder waiting for the shit to fly all over said fisherman.

Yes, I admit it I was an irresponsible dick.

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Because you probably have no training on how to safely launch the fireworks. Also your fireworks probably kill pigeons and possibly wildfowl. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Bet you're fun at a party.

"excuse me, have you been sufficiently taught how to open that bottle wine?"

It's not just people's safety that concerns me but also wildlife, have you any idea how many pigeons get killed or injured by fireworks? By all means have your display but first get the correct training and then only launch the fireworks horizontally and from short distance towards a solid wall.

18 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

It's not just people's safety that concerns me but also wildlife, have you any idea how many pigeons get killed or injured by fireworks? By all means have your display but first get the correct training and then only launch the fireworks horizontally and from short distance towards a solid wall.

This must be a wind up.  Fair play.

49 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

That's all very well wanting to protect Percy Pigeon so he can continue crapping on your washing or worst still your forehead, but how about a thought for Mickey & Minnie Mouse who just want a quiet life living in your wall with their 30 kids without RPG's being blasted towards them from 3 yards ?

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

That's all very well wanting to protect Percy Pigeon so he can continue crapping on your washing or worst still your forehead, but how about a thought for Mickey & Minnie Mouse who just want a quiet life living in your wall with their 30 kids without RPG's being blasted towards them from 3 yards ?

To clarify,I meant a stand alone wall, checked for wildlife prior to the display.

2 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

To clarify,I meant a stand alone wall, checked for wildlife prior to the display.

I'll let Mickey know although I expect Val, Peter & John have beaten me to it. And just to clarify I always keep my Wife indoors all year round.

Archived