IGNORED

Golbourne and Pack.

GrahamC

Sorry, I just don't get it.

LJ's subs are so predictable, so formularic (first one injury apart is always dead on 60 minutes) and seem to nearly always involve the same players coming off.

Today for me Scott was one of our best performers and yet, again he is first to be subbed off. Joe Bryan on the other hand, had a really poor game yet stays on much longer.

Marlon Pack must feel very unhappy, Korey Smith (average against Blackburn though bizarrely given MoM) was poor today yet he doesn't get a look in.

I have felt all season these 2 don't get a fair chance but apart from the fact LJ signed neither of them I'm baffled as to why.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

LJ's subs are so predictable, so formulaic (first one injury apart is always dead on 60 minutes) and seem to nearly always involve the same players coming off.

Today for me Scott was one of our best performers and yet, again he is first to be subbed off. Joe Bryan on the other hand, had a really poor game yet stays on much longer.

Marlon Pack must feel very unhappy, Korey Smith (average against Blackburn though bizarrely given MoM) was poor today yet he doesn't get a look in.

I have felt all season these 2 don't get a fair chance but apart from the fact LJ signed neither of them I'm baffled as to why.

Spot on mate, was thinking the same thing earlier

Funnily enough I don't have a problem with Korey playing, he needs games,  but I'm getting really frustrated with Gary O'Neil, I find he slows the game down too much.. I'll be honest I'm not Marlons biggest fan but I'd bring him in for GON. 

Also, SG I don't think has been at his best but I do think he had a decent game tonight, I agree about Joe, disappointing again.

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

LJ's subs are so predictable, so formularic (first one injury apart is always dead on 60 minutes) and seem to nearly always involve the same players coming off.

Same, felt Golbourne should have stayed on and O'Dowda come on for Bryan. Take of O'Neil or Smith and bring on Engvall - but hey, I am sure Lee knows what he's doing.... I hope... doesn't he ? Guys.... guys ??!!!

23 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Same, felt Golbourne should have stayed on and O'Dowda come on for Bryan. Take of O'Neil or Smith and bring on Engvall - but hey, I am sure Lee knows what he's doing.... I hope... doesn't he ? Guys.... guys ??!!!

9th in the league and posts suggesting the manager hasn't got a clue, deary me

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

9th in the league and posts suggesting the manager hasn't got a clue, deary me

I wouldn't say he hasn't got a clue. ...but he is certainly not helping matters with his constant tinkering and change of first team selection. 

EVERY game we start slow and look like a team that have never played together before.  It clearly effects the players mentally ....and the fact we keep giving away sloppy early goals prove it 

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I wouldn't say he hasn't got a clue. ...but he is certainly not helping matters with his constant tinkering and change of first team selection. 

EVERY game we start slow and look like a team that have never played together before.  It clearly effects the players mentally ....and the fact we keep giving away sloppy early goals prove it 

I think one encouraging thing with Johnson is that he's still learning. Whereas the likes of Warnock, Pearson, Cotterill etc who've been around a long time probably don't have much scope for improvement, Lee has real time to learn and improve as a manager.

If by his mid 30s his management has resulted in a pretty solid and occasionally very good championship side, I think this bodes well for the future. He's learning all the time and will improve as will his players. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think one encouraging thing with Johnson is that he's still learning. Whereas the likes of Warnock, Pearson, Cotterill etc who've been around a long time probably don't have much scope for improvement, Lee has real time to learn and improve as a manager.

If by his mid 30s his management has resulted in a pretty solid and occasionally very good championship side, I think this bodes well for the future. He's learning all the time and will improve as will his players. 

It's a steep learning curve now. This is a huge test for him now as he has two extremely hard away games to prepare this team for.

41 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We missed Pack badly against Blackburn and again yesterday.

Tomlin seems to be the one coming deep to take possession on the hallway line when Pack is out of the team and it nullifies him as an attacking outlet at times. 

I've been a knocker of Pack in the past, but agree with you. He put in a hell of shift and played really well against Hull until tiring last 15 mins and right now I'd put Pack in the starting eleven ahead of GON who was worst City player on the pitch last night (yes worse than Little).

As for Golbourne, don't think many would argue he is better defensively than Bryan, but he offers no overlap threat at all. Whilst JB on form certainly does. 

Golbourne no attacking threat? Put in more crosses than Paterson & in the first half put a header across the 6 yard line that just needed a touch from anyone to go in, but unexplicably Tammy was stood on the penalty spot. I would have given him MotM yesterday as he did nothing wrong and a lot of good things. He certainly our best full back on either side at the moment.

As for Pack I think he is very similar to GON but doesn't have the experience. They are both accused of taking too many touches & slowing down play. Neither of them offer much going forward & don't get as many goals as you would like. The only hope for Marlon is that he is young enough to improve further. He played well  against Hull but other than their set pieces they were a very poor side. Against Brighton it would have been a much greater challenge.

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Foggy, isn't Johnson 35?

10 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I've been a knocker of Pack in the past, but agree with you. He put in a hell of shift and played really well against Hull until tiring last 15 mins and right now I'd put Pack in the starting eleven ahead of GON who was worst City player on the pitch last night (yes worse than Little).

As for Golbourne, don't think many would argue he is better defensively than Bryan, but he offers no overlap threat at all. Whilst JB on form certainly does. 

You're a knocker of Pack? A Pack-knocker? Mind, better than being a Knock-packer. Or a Knack-pocker.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

As for Pack I think he is very similar to GON but doesn't have the experience. They are both accused of taking too many touches & slowing down play. Neither of them offer much going forward & don't get as many goals as you would like. The only hope for Marlon is that he is young enough to improve further. He played well  against Hull but other than their set pieces they were a very poor side. Against Brighton it would have been a much greater challenge.

He also played very well against Fulham 0-4 when he did the pass of the match to put Paterson through and defended brilliantly. Leeds when he scored and again was brilliant defensively. He has been far better as an attacking threat than o'neil.

Because of his experience and undoubted ability Oneil is being put in ahead of him as an old head in midfield. Unfortunately he was very poor v qpr, not great against Cardiff, poor against Blackburn and again yesterday. Pack was poor for the first half of the Forrest game. At the moment taking away reputation pack is the better player. 

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Johnson didn't sign either and doesn't believe in either, either (!).

He's only playing Golbourne left-back while Freeman is injured, then Bryan will be left-back again. Having said JB will be a Prem Left-back one day, Johnson will look as dopey as Dopey Darrell over there if he then plays him left-midfield lots. It's just a fill-in, till 'Freezy' is fit again. One day soon we'll sell Golbourne, and then - maybe in the next transfer window, or SOD's law, same window - a Prem club will decide to take a punt on JB and we'll be left with no sinister full-backs. Bit like when we had Basso/Henderson/Weale and we shifted two of them out the door and then Basso buggered off (last good keeper we had, and don't give me any Heaton boll*cks, I saw him let plenty in through his legs).

As for Pack he's not mobile enough, in Johnson's eyes. You'd have to agree Marlon is the world's slowest at turning round/chasing a player. O'Neill is quicker than him, despite having ten years on him. But to see Smith & O'Neill playing at home together is quite sad. We should've just gone for broke yesterday. Johnson talked about showing who we are as a club, show off our attacking intent, live on telly, and then plays two midfielders in front of the back 4. 

Simples, you hit the nail on the head when you stated Johnson didn't sign either of them. It's fairly natural for a manager to be like this, of course, but it is frustrating when clearly Golbourne is a defensive talent, but isn't first choice full-back, when we're shipping goals/can't keep a clean sheet (without that 4-0 win at John Craven's Cottage Industry, and without Tammy being on fire, we wouldn't have a +4 GD, that's for sure).

First thing to sort out right now: a defense that can keep more clean sheets and that doesn't involve overlapping full-backs. We possess enough attack-minded midfielders, and strikers whose responsibility should be putting the ball on the end of Tammy's toes inside the 6 yard box. Leave the four defensive blokes (plus one of GO'N/Smith/poss Pack) on the edge of our box, keeping all-comers out.

Bloody easy, this coaching lark.

30 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Johnson didn't sign either and doesn't believe in either, either (!).

He's only playing Golbourne left-back while Freeman is injured, then Bryan will be left-back again. Having said JB will be a Prem Left-back one day, Johnson will look as dopey as Dopey Darrell over there if he then plays him left-midfield lots. It's just a fill-in, till 'Freezy' is fit again. One day soon we'll sell Golbourne, and then - maybe in the next transfer window, or SOD's law, same window - a Prem club will decide to take a punt on JB and we'll be left with no sinister full-backs. Bit like when we had Basso/Henderson/Weale and we shifted two of them out the door and then Basso buggered off (last good keeper we had, and don't give me any Heaton boll*cks, I saw him let plenty in through his legs).

As for Pack he's not mobile enough, in Johnson's eyes. You'd have to agree Marlon is the world's slowest at turning round/chasing a player. O'Neill is quicker than him, despite having ten years on him. But to see Smith & O'Neill playing at home together is quite sad. We should've just gone for broke yesterday. Johnson talked about showing who we are as a club, show off our attacking intent, live on telly, and then plays two midfielders in front of the back 4. 

Simples, you hit the nail on the head when you stated Johnson didn't sign either of them. It's fairly natural for a manager to be like this, of course, but it is frustrating when clearly Golbourne is a defensive talent, but isn't first choice full-back, when we're shipping goals/can't keep a clean sheet (without that 4-0 win at John Craven's Cottage Industry, and without Tammy being on fire, we wouldn't have a +4 GD, that's for sure).

First thing to sort out right now: a defense that can keep more clean sheets and that doesn't involve overlapping full-backs. We possess enough attack-minded midfielders, and strikers whose responsibility should be putting the ball on the end of Tammy's toes inside the 6 yard box. Leave the four defensive blokes (plus one of GO'N/Smith/poss Pack) on the edge of our box, keeping all-comers out.

Bloody easy, this coaching lark.

Seen nothing of Bryan to suggest he's anywhere near a prem full back, at the moment he barely looks a championship one. 

Didnt Lj recently give Pack a new deal? That seems a strange thing to do for someone who doesn't rate a player because he didn't sign him

9 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

Seen nothing of Bryan to suggest he's anywhere near a prem full back, at the moment he barely looks a championship one. 

Didnt Lj recently give Pack a new deal? That seems a strange thing to do for someone who doesn't rate a player because he didn't sign him

No he wants pack as back up so he didn't sack pack. 

Archived