IGNORED

is GON our Wayne Rooney

where's the joy

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Has he ever played there? I think the reason why he doesn't give it quickly most of the time is because there are often no good options. 

Agreed, time and time again yesterday GON had the ball looking to play it wide and Patterson had cut inside congesting the midfield and giving GON no option but to check back, I know Freeman gets a lot of stick but the one thing he does give us is width and shape

Nothing wrong with GON, Smith or Pack. The problem is fitting them in the side because they can't play together. They all look to do the same thing. GON looks far better with Reid in the side who will look for those pockets of space forward and not next to him while nipping in and pressing as GON can't do it with his lack of quickness. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Nothing wrong with GON, Smith or Pack. The problem is fitting them in the side because they can't play together. They all look to do the same thing. GON looks far better with Reid in the side who will look for those pockets of space forward and not next to him while nipping in and pressing as GON can't do it with his lack of quickness. 

Agree. I think we do need to play Reid as his forward runs are needed. Great pass for Tammy yesterday too.

Since his suspension and illness, I don't think GON has been quite as good as he was before then (in some matches he was running the show), but he will come good again.

Smith is clearly still finding his feet after his lay off. Johnson has said in the past that we were not using all of his talents when confining him to a defensive role, so he clearly thinks he can do a different role to GON (like he did for Johnson at Oldham presumably). He needs time though as he was out for so long.

6 hours ago, Londoner said:

Has been excellent this season, and apart from the mistakexfor the goal didn't actually have that poorer game.

When he was out we won 2 difficult games at Fulham and home to Leeds. Since he has replaced pack we have only beaten a terrible Blackburn side by a very late goal. He has been poor! Qpr he was terrible

I thought GON had an uncharacteristically poor first half on Saturday.  Poor passing led to both goals (the pace on the pass to Korey for the first made it really difficult for him to control).  

However, reading Twitter on Saturday night, it seems his little girl has been poorly in hospital, so this may well contribute to this lack of focus.  Maybe needs the international break more than most.  Get some quality family time in and regroup.  

The middle of the park is a tough problem to solve though, but at least for once it's not because we don't have enough quality there, but more so we just need to find the right blend.

Fantastic player imo, what we've been missing I'm midfield for years. Showing my age but I think he's in the mould of Shelton / aizelwood would play with the shirt ripped off his back.

agree that perhaps other players look to play through him too much but think this is down to there lack of confidence / passing the buck. Many a city player gets to the halfway line and passes it to him (or lumps it to Tammy) without taking responsibility.

agree with a previous thread we have half a dozen players who just look too lightweight and we have been outmuscled and beaten because of this by teams not any better than us on our day Brighton, qpr and Cardiff. There a lot of bullying goes on on football pitches but the opposition don't fancy it when they see O'Neill and wills lining up!

ok the lad had a shaky 30 mins (by his standards) but overall gang a quality player

Archived