IGNORED

EFL fine 12 clubs for failing to field full-strength sides in EFL Trophy

EnderMB

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-checkatrade-trophy-update-3419509.aspx

What a joke! Why are only the "top clubs" allowed to field youngsters, while others get shit on for giving their youngsters some much-needed playing time. Hell, Luton won with their kids, and they still got fined!

I'm glad we're not involved in this farce of a competition, and I hope that other clubs tell the EFL where to stick their trophy.

34 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-checkatrade-trophy-update-3419509.aspx

What a joke! Why are only the "top clubs" allowed to field youngsters, while others get shit on for giving their youngsters some much-needed playing time. Hell, Luton won with their kids, and they still got fined!

I'm glad we're not involved in this farce of a competition, and I hope that other clubs tell the EFL where to stick their trophy.

I couldnt agree more. What constitutes a 'full strength side' If players are on the books of a professional football club, then that club has every right to play them, they pay their wages. I can understand the likes of Man Utd, etc putting in players who dont regularly play ( our own Tammy at Chelsea for instance) but all the sides fined are not exactly dropping £10 million pound players to let another CLUB member play. Typical hypocrisy by the people who run our football.

jack nick.jpg

55 minutes ago, phantom said:

The irony about some of these clubs, were they made subs in the very early stages of the games to get around the fines !

And got fined because it was n't in ' the spirit of the law ' .

Still it gives the sponsors a bit more money to reduce their losses.

They must be really happy with their decision to throw money at a football cup competition.

If the lower League clubs are fined for not playing their full strength teams in the EFL Trophy,  then why don't the EFL fine the Prem clubs when they don't field full strength teams in the League Cup.  As the League Cup is run by the Football League how can you have one rule for the Football League Trophy and another for the League Cup?

22 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

If the lower League clubs are fined for not playing their full strength teams in the EFL Trophy,  then why don't the EFL fine the Prem clubs when they don't field full strength teams in the League Cup.  As the League Cup is run by the Football League how can you have one rule for the Football League Trophy and another for the League Cup?

Because its written into the FLT competition rules and not the league cups?

It is a joke though, Luton progressed from their group by playing weakened teams so they've been fined for winning games. I'd say just scrap the FLT and rebrand the league cup into an actual football league cup so not premier league teams allowed.

It strikes me there is a great level of hypocrisy here. In a tournament redesigned to boost youth performances, teams are being punished for trying to give younger or fringe players experience. Is it only important that category one youngsters develop? It's this sort of elitism that is ruining player development. 

Also ironically, the purpose was so these youth teams get real game experience, however these games are now so trivialised, you have to question if this is actually the case.

Surely Tammy is an example of how young players should be developed. Clubs should be encouraged to make better use of the loan market. There is no substitute for playing tough, competitive games week in week out! 

Archived