IGNORED

Needed...

EmersonsRed

A keeper, a centre-half (sorry Flint lovers), a right-back, a right winger, a striker to go alongside Tammy/play when Tammy leaves.

So Mr Lansdown, what do you say? You've only spent a few hundred million on this club!! Come on... Fork out for once.

That's sarcasm for the slower members of OTIB who will bite my head off.

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

A keeper, a centre-half (sorry Flint lovers), a right-back, a right winger, a striker to go alongside Tammy/play when Tammy leaves.

So Mr Lansdown, what do you say? You've only spent a few hundred million on this club!! Come on... Fork out for once.

Think more will bite your head of for suggesting a Flint replacement than for the sarcasm!

edit- not saying I disagree though.

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

We've got another striker he's sat on the bench doing nothing. we spent £2.5m on him.

9 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

We've got another striker he's sat on the bench doing nothing. we spent £2.5m on him.

As I posted on another thread, the intention with Engvall has been to use him sparingly while he adapts to being in a new country speaking a new language, and also the style of football.

Lee Johnson has even said this himself.

He will adapt to the football through matches in training session and reserve matches, unfortunately his second injury was a setback so he's a little behind schedule there.

49 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Think more will bite your head of for suggesting a Flint replacement than for the sarcasm!

edit- not saying I disagree though.

16 minutes ago, BITW said:

Well something has to change in defence. Two clean sheets in the league this season isn't it? 

We concede an astonishing amount of crosses/set pieces given the height in our back line and team in general when Wilbs etc are on the pitch. If Flint can't help stop this he useless as he is a liability in other departments. He isn't quick enough or mobile in a 2 CB formation to play at this level of football, I love Flint, he will always get a good reception from me even when he plays despite the fact I think he should be replaced, he was a big part of our promotion season. But we rely on KM to cover him so much it takes away from his own game. Flint offers us nothing in the Championship. We cannot live in the past - thanks for your great service in the past few years but it's time to go...

14 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Hi! Yes we did, you're correct - let's be realistic though, at the end of this season we will lose Wilbraham to lower league / retirement and Tammy will probably be on loan somewhere in the prem. That leaves us with Gustav. Given the fact he is yet to break into our team (which by the way, I assure you he will, I think he's a bit special from what I have seen if given some bloody finishing coaching). This will not be enough, obviously. We need 2 new strikers whether it be January or the summer. The other positions are far more important, granted.

2 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

We concede an astonishing amount of crosses/set pieces given the height in our back line and team in general when Wilbs etc are on the pitch. If Flint can't help stop this he useless as he is a liability in other departments. He isn't quick enough or mobile in a 2 CB formation to play at this level of football, I love Flint, he will always get a good reception from me even when he plays despite the fact I think he should be replaced, he was a big part of our promotion season. But we rely on KM to cover him so much it takes away from his own game. Flint offers us nothing in the Championship. We cannot live in the past - thanks for your great service in the past few years but it's time to go...

Hi! Yes we did, you're correct - let's be realistic though, at the end of this season we will lose Wilbraham to lower league / retirement and Tammy will probably be on loan somewhere in the prem. That leaves us with Gustav. Given the fact he is yet to break into our team (which by the way, I assure you he will, I think he's a bit special from what I have seen if given some bloody finishing coaching). This will not be enough, obviously. We need 2 new strikers whether it be January or the summer. The other positions are far more important, granted.

Best get yourself a tin hat for the bolded part! :tomato:

For the second half, we do also have Garita, McCoulsky (sp?) and a handful of our main squad who can play as a striker.

I do think we need more depth up front and half expect a January signing to be a striker, though the hopefully increased usage of Engvall post January (as per LJ's press conference) will make him like a new signing!

26 minutes ago, BITW said:

Well something has to change in defence. Two clean sheets in the league this season isn't it? 

Very few clubs in this division get clean sheets. Scoring goals is our problem at the moment, defensively we are not doing too much wrong. Lee has said it before, to pick up points in this league you need to score a couple each game. We were doing that up until the last 6 games and the points rattled up but we are struggiling to put the ball in the back of the net now.

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

When Tammy leaves we need two strikers........

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Best get yourself a tin hat for the bolded part! :tomato:

For the second half, we do also have Garita, McCoulsky (sp?) and a handful of our main squad who can play as a striker.

I do think we need more depth up front and half expect a January signing to be a striker, though the hopefully increased usage of Engvall post January (as per LJ's press conference) will make him like a new signing!

Garita,McCoulsky??......they are light years away from being Championship footballers..what we require in our squad are two or three proven performers-we have spent money on promise,now need to invest in players who can do it now.

6 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Very few clubs in this division get clean sheets. Scoring goals is our problem at the moment, defensively we are not doing too much wrong. Lee has said it before, to pick up points in this league you need to score a couple each game. We were doing that up until the last 6 games and the points rattled up but we are struggiling to put the ball in the back of the net now.

I agree it's a very open high scoring division. But they manner of the goals we've been conceding recently highlights a soft centre that needs addressing I think.

As for the goals drying up, I think a lot of that comes down to Tammy being double marked and us seemingly not adjusting tactics suitably. Overall the performances aren't a million miles away and I still think with a few tweaks we can achieve a mid table finish which most would be happy with realistically.

2 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Garita,McCoulsky??......they are light years away from being Championship footballers..what we require in our squad are two or three proven performers-we have spent money on promise,now need to invest in players who can do it now.

Where did I say they are ready?

I was just listing our other strikers.

Read my posts properly before having a go.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Where did I say they are ready?

I was just listing our other strikers.

Read my posts properly before having a go.

Calm down young un,not having a go,just my opinion..and while were on the subject IMO having watched them both on a number of occasions neither of them are likely to ever get there.that's the point,their futures lie elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, BristolBEAT said:

We don't need a keeper. Have 3 good ones including Lucic

We don't need a centre half. Fancy a change go for Moore.

Our team doesn't suit right wingers.

Right back. Matthews on his day is top 3 in this league.

Striker. You forgetting we have Engvall right? But they know another is needed.

You seem to think the team is fine then, why aren't we winning the league?

There are clear areas this team needs to improve before we're competing with Newcastle/Brighton etc and I'd say all of the above are necessary improvements at some point.

Goalkeeper, centrehalf, striker is the core of any successful team.  You also need striker cover because a strikers's form almost always take a dip somewhere along the line.  Of these three positions, we have a goalkeeper in Lucic, but we need a centre half of quality, as I suggested months ago and was derided for (!), and a backup to Tammy for rest of this season.

Anything else is a bonus.

I'm willing to see how Lucic eventually gets on. We've got good options there for now. Flint made a few errors early on but has been good defensively the last few times I've seen him play. I think he'll be upgraded in the future(Moore coming along nicely) but he perfect for this season with his strength and experience.

Right sided winger and full back is a must for me in January though. Matthews experiment seems to have failed. Did I miss something yesterday to why he didn't play? Little decent backup for now but can't rely on him. Pato isn't a winger and I only think we have one true winger in O'Dowda and he's more of a raw prospect at this point. Bryan is a LB for me as well so only 1 winger. He's got to be pacy and experienced. Someone mentioned Nathan Dyer from Swansea. I don't know how realistic a loan for him would be but seems a good example. 

Then striker to take the pressure off Tammy. Can be a loan as well but hopefully we can identify someone who could turn permanent like we did with Tomlin(at striker or winger). 

Overall, we just need to fill some gaps until the younger lads are ready to play 46 matches a season. Think O'Dowda and Moore will be close by next season and hopefully Brownhill gets there as well. 

1 hour ago, BristolBEAT said:

Ok Mr Sideways. Thanks for your input. I don't support a club that isn't striving to improve and succeed. Off to another thread you go... (please)

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

As I posted on another thread, the intention with Engvall has been to use him sparingly while he adapts to being in a new country speaking a new language, and also the style of football.

He will adapt to the football through matches in training session and reserve matches, unfortunately his second injury was a setback so he's a little behind schedule there.

I don't really get that attitude. Lots of young people go abroad to work, go to uni etc. Engvall is from Sweden not Outer Mongolia - I don't think the culture's that much different over here. And even the language isn't that much of a barrier if you're good at football. Didn't Luis Suarez play in Holland at a similar age?

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Like most young Swedes, Engvall speaks English perfectly. The Swedish system is not that different from the game over here.

If Johnson thinks Engvall can only deal with a few minutes of football in the UK this season then I think he's totally mistaken.

32 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't really get that attitude. Lots of young people go abroad to work, go to uni etc. Engvall is from Sweden not Outer Mongolia - I don't think the culture's that much different over here. And even the language isn't that much of a barrier if you're good at football. Didn't Luis Suarez play in Holland at a similar age?

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Like most young Swedes, Engvall speaks English perfectly. The Swedish system is not that different from the game over here.

If Johnson thinks Engvall can only deal with a few minutes of football in the UK this season then I think he's totally mistaken.

I'd suggest that after Engvall himself and perhaps some of his close friends/family, Johnson probably is one of the people with the best idea of how Engvall has settled in and how he is adapting. 

If LJ, with his vastly better chance to see how things are for Gustav feels he needs more time, then I'll take that over the theorising of (with respect) 2 anonymous blokes (or blokesses) behind a keyboard.

I believe Johnson also said the Championship is a higher standard than the Allsvenskan, though I may be misremembering and mixing it up with a part where he was talking about Magnusson in Serie B. Either way the quality of the leagues comparatively is debatable, though I would agree that, on the whole, the Championship is a tougher league, along with having more fixtures.

5 hours ago, BristolBEAT said:

Problem is, Matthews is never on his day.

And our team needs to start suiting right wingers...

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'd suggest that after Engvall himself and perhaps some of his close friends/family, Johnson probably is one of the people with the best idea of how Engvall has settled in and how he is adapting. 

If LJ, with his vastly better chance to see how things are for Gustav feels he needs more time, then I'll take that over the theorising of (with respect) 2 anonymous blokes (or blokesses) behind a keyboard.

Fair point, but isn't that what a development team is for? Meanwhile, our first XI desperately needs another proven striker...

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I know what you're saying, but the fact is despite an improved performance yesterday we scored no goals and got no points. 

Johnson has many virtues. He's probably one of the most clued up young managers in the English game, but he can err on the side of caution.

If everything was running smoothly, I'd accept your point, but we've hit a patch of turbulence and I reckon we need to have a bit of a rethink as a club.

5 hours ago, BristolBEAT said:

What dose not suit a right winger mean? Is it that our attacking play is so fluid that we don't need anyone wide on the right?

Please explain.

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Are you really saying that Engvall isn't being picked purely because he's being given time to adapt to a new country? The league is full of foreign players coming to this country for the first time. Why is he any different from any other foreign player in that respect? Like, for example, Kodjia last season, who didn't speak a word of English but immediately started banging in the goals? It's not as though he's from a jungle tribe - he's from a developed country in Western Europe!

Struggling to believe we aren't picking potential source of goals because he couldn't pass GCSE English. Apart from anything else I don't think we have the luxury of being so picky. And I don't see how not picking a player to play in English matches will help him adapt to English matches.

30 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Are you really saying that Engvall isn't being picked purely because he's being given time to adapt to a new country? The league is full of foreign players coming to this country for the first time. Why is he any different from any other foreign player in that respect? Like, for example, Kodjia last season, who didn't speak a word of English but immediately started banging in the goals? It's not as though he's from a jungle tribe - he's from a developed country in Western Europe!

Struggling to believe we aren't picking potential source of goals because he couldn't pass GCSE English. Apart from anything else I don't think we have the luxury of being so picky. And I don't see how not picking a player to play in English matches will help him adapt to English matches.

I was paraphrasing from memory what LJ said in the pre Brum press conference.

I think I forgot the (potentially) biggest reason at the time of posting which is the increase in standard, which is of course a debatable point. 

I take your point with Kodjia, but Kodjia also had 5-6 years of life experience that Gustav hasn't at the time of transferring. 

Speaking personally when I went to uni in Wales, just 40 miles from my previous address I never really settled, this was largely down to my own issues with confidence and finding meeting new people very challenging. But this is something that, although I still struggle a lot, I am much better with now and have got better with as I've got older. Not settling ultimately was a big factor in me dropping out and wasting 2 years of my life.

Of course I'm not suggesting for a second that the above is an issue for Engvall, however the could be any number of reasons that may potentially be detrimental to someone adapting to a new country, even if it isn't that far in the grand scheme of world football.

As for adapting to the English game, again it's a fair point, but he will get some practice in training matches and in reserve matches- I seem to recall him being subbed after being particularly poor against FGR for the reserves/u23s. Ultimately more game time is what's needed, but I don't imagine LJ is putting him on the bench with no intention of using him. He has been described as a similar type player to Kodjia, who wasn't on the whole that different to Tammy, so if Tammy is struggling then replacing him with a like for like isn't going to change things as much as bringing on a gurt lump of a target man.

34 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I was paraphrasing from memory what LJ said in the pre Brum press conference.

I think I forgot the (potentially) biggest reason at the time of posting which is the increase in standard, which is of course a debatable point. 

I take your point with Kodjia, but Kodjia also had 5-6 years of life experience that Gustav hasn't at the time of transferring. 

Speaking personally when I went to uni in Wales, just 40 miles from my previous address I never really settled, this was largely down to my own issues with confidence and finding meeting new people very challenging. But this is something that, although I still struggle a lot, I am much better with now and have got better with as I've got older. Not settling ultimately was a big factor in me dropping out and wasting 2 years of my life.

Of course I'm not suggesting for a second that the above is an issue for Engvall, however the could be any number of reasons that may potentially be detrimental to someone adapting to a new country, even if it isn't that far in the grand scheme of world football.

As for adapting to the English game, again it's a fair point, but he will get some practice in training matches and in reserve matches- I seem to recall him being subbed after being particularly poor against FGR for the reserves/u23s. Ultimately more game time is what's needed, but I don't imagine LJ is putting him on the bench with no intention of using him. He has been described as a similar type player to Kodjia, who wasn't on the whole that different to Tammy, so if Tammy is struggling then replacing him with a like for like isn't going to change things as much as bringing on a gurt lump of a target man.

Good post James. It just doesn't ring true with me that you'd not play a £2.5m player simply because you're giving him time to settle. I would expect game time to be part of that process.

Only other thing I'd say is I'm not sure Engvall is a like-for-like replacement for Tammy. I was at the Hull game and I didn't get that impression. Though having said that I'm not sure exactly what sort of player he is!

Archived