IGNORED

Love Tomlin but....

Top Robin

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

His stats are pretty decent, 16 appearances 3 goals 4 assists.

Compare that to a few players who play similar roles at other teams...

Wes Hoolahan - 15 appearances 2 goals 4 assists.

Tjaronn Chery - 17 appearances 4 goals 3 assists

Yoan Gouffran 14 appearances 3 goals 2 assists

Doesn't look too bad to me.

I would argue that one assist in every four games is pretty disappointing. Not saying it's entirely his fault, mind

You'd have to say all the clubs in the bottom two divisions - esp a club like Roverzzz - many in this division and even one or two in the top flight, would love to have a player like Tomlin to watch.

We probably won't make the play-offs or go up this year (it's too soon, couple of windows needed, at least, and even then...) so let's just enjoy watching his sublime skill.

I looked at all the Brighton players during the 0-2 reverse, and thought, 'Not one of them could do what Tomlin does'. At the moment I'd rather be top ten with moments of skill to look forward to than watching eleven prosaic runners 'cover every blade of grass'. When have the gAssholes ever had someone like him to watch? Obviously never because a) they couldn't afford it and b) it wouldn't fit their ragass, ragbag, running around/effort team ethic. This could be applied, not just to the Gypsies in Fishyponds, or wherever they are, but to a lot of teams who eschew the notion of ten + one. We've had enough midfields full of the dull likes of Dave Martins and David Harles and Carl Huthcings and David Tongs to last a lifetime (and we'll have plenty more before the end is nigh), so let's enjoy the ride. 

Statistically it's only every few years we have someone like him to set the pulse racing a bit, lift us all above the humdrummery and remind us why we go and watch football. It's not always 100% about the result/promotion. Sometimes, just sometimes, it's about the love.

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I would argue that one assist in every four games is pretty disappointing. Not saying it's entirely his fault, mind

I have to disagree, last season the most assists came from Alan Judge who got 12, so Tomlin is more or less on track to get this season. Our top assister was Bryan with 8.

3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I have to disagree, last season the most assists came from Alan Judge who got 12, so Tomlin is more or less on track to get this season. Our top assister was Bryan with 8.

Not disagreeing with what you say about Lee`s influence, I`m well happy with it, but didn`t Judge miss a good part of the second half of the season with a bad injury?

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not disagreeing with what you say about Lee`s influence, I`m well happy with it, but didn`t Judge miss a good part of the second half of the season with a bad injury?

He got injured on the 9th of April so he would have missed 6 matches. Regardless though, Tomlin would still assist more than anyone else in the league from last season if he carried on at the same rate.

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

He got injured on the 9th of April so he would have missed 6 matches. Regardless though, Tomlin would still assist more than anyone else in the league from last season if he carried on at the same rate.

Ah. I thought it was longer than that. For some reason I had the idea it bollixed a big transfer for him in January. Broken leg wasn`t it?

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Ah. I thought it was longer than that. For some reason I had the idea it bollixed a big transfer for him in January. Broken leg wasn`t it?

Double lower leg fracture, he`s still out with it.

Newcastle were supposed to be trying to sign him over the summer but decided not too as he was further behind fitness wise than they hoped.

11 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I really like Tomlin and appreciate his undoubted skill but I know he lacks in certain areas - he doesn't contribute much defensively, is quite slow, not particularly mobile and his head can go down when things aren't going his way. 

With the average quality of the team around him can we afford such a luxury. 

He could probably get away with this in a top quality side but I wonder if in our side he may be holding us back. 

Don't worry, I've got my helmet on!

Rubbish. Absolute garbage post.

How well does Tomlin link up with Tammy?

Feel that we need to term them into a more cohesive pair.  For what it's worth, due to my limited game time watching City during the past couple of years, I'm yet to see the best of Tomlin in a City shirt.

My next game will probably be home to Brentford.  Finger's crossed he does something then to blow my mind!

Still pissed off that his freekick against Birmingham didn't sail in.  That would've been world class.

13 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

You'd have to say all the clubs in the bottom two divisions - esp a club like Roverzzz - many in this division and even one or two in the top flight, would love to have a player like Tomlin to watch.

We probably won't make the play-offs or go up this year (it's too soon, couple of windows needed, at least, and even then...) so let's just enjoy watching his sublime skill.

I looked at all the Brighton players during the 0-2 reverse, and thought, 'Not one of them could do what Tomlin does'. At the moment I'd rather be top ten with moments of skill to look forward to than watching eleven prosaic runners 'cover every blade of grass'. When have the gAssholes ever had someone like him to watch? Obviously never because a) they couldn't afford it and b) it wouldn't fit their ragass, ragbag, running around/effort team ethic. This could be applied, not just to the Gypsies in Fishyponds, or wherever they are, but to a lot of teams who eschew the notion of ten + one. We've had enough midfields full of the dull likes of Dave Martins and David Harles and Carl Huthcings and David Tongs to last a lifetime (and we'll have plenty more before the end is nigh), so let's enjoy the ride. 

Statistically it's only every few years we have someone like him to set the pulse racing a bit, lift us all above the humdrummery and remind us why we go and watch football. It's not always 100% about the result/promotion. Sometimes, just sometimes, it's about the love.

I would take Knockaert over Tomlin.........but having both would be nice

Archived