IGNORED

Fantastical Beast and where to find them

Fiale

Saw this in 2D and was pleasantly surprised. I am not the biggest fan of the Harry Potter films and thought this might be just more of the same. Whilst set in a world where Wizards exists, it's actually a very good story driven film, and the cinematic New York is like that you remember from old Detective movies, Hitchcock etc.. good film....

@Fiale I saw it a couple of weeks ago and would have to say that I think it had some issues.  Whilst the undoubtedly spectacular visuals were supported by some fine performances from Redmayne, Miller and even Mr Farrell I think that the film suffered from a confusion of purpose.

It felt at times like it was two films cut together.  You had the first story of a charming clumsy, almost slapstick Brit and his fish-out-of-water sidekick trying to recapture a series of the eponymous beasts.  This was then inter-cut with a series of darker, subtler and altogether sinister scenes including child-torture, a summary death chamber and the odd brutal murder.  In trying to tell these two stories in parallel it seemed to me that the filmmakers inadvertently caused both to suffer.

Had they stuck to the first story the film would have been a light-hearted action comedy set in a magical New York...but the studio would have had to accept that it was a stand alone adventure with little scope for sequels.  Similarly, had they focussed on the Barebone storyline they could have fully explored that side of New York's magical community and could have spent longer setting up a series of films with overarching plotlines that could discuss deep questions, but at the expense of the fantastic beasts and said finding of them.  In many ways it sounds like Sophie's choice.

The ending forced these two storylines together in a clunky manner and produced a climax that felt rushed and more than a little convenient in its execution.

I am not saying that this was a bad film.  It just was not a great film.  There are, I think, two great films in there but for me FBAWTFT is less than the sum of its parts.

As a huge Potter fan, by which I'll happily admit I have Ravenclaw robes, a Hogwarts acceptance letter and a real HP related tattoo (Yes, I'm sad; yes, I do have a life; and yes, I do get out daily) I've yet to see this. I'm concerned the film will be too drastically different from the Potter stuff (all this No-Maj stuff. it's Muggles! Ahhhh...) 

I think I was just totally thrown by the whole HP and the Cursed Child thing (there is a major plot in the story which spoils the original books - won't share here so I don't spoil it for anyone going to see it or read the screenplay) and I'm worried Fantastic Beasts will leave me in the same vein. Obviously I know HP and the other characters aren't in it but I'm worried it won't have the same 'magic' - pardon the pun.

Archived