IGNORED

Come back Joe , all is forgiven

Major Isewater

I really rate Joe Bryan and am a little bit surprised that he has n't hit the heights after his fantastic season last year .

Is he being used to his full ability ? 

I know LJ sees him as a full back in the making and he has the experience to back up his judgement but I really feel that Joe is more of an attacking player and would prefer to see him playing more in the opposition last third of the pitch rather than being shackled as a full back .

I  am convinced that we're not getting the best out of this very talented young player.

I think he's better when he's passing and moving around the box. Going past his man on the outside and crossing is somewhere he would probably need to improve to be a top level full back.

Wide midfield seems to work for him best from what I've seen.

I still rate him and as LB as well. He doesn't look great there yet but we aren't where LJ wants us to be as a team either. When we are able to play our game he'll look a lot better. Granted he has lots of work to do to be a better LB(crossing and defending) but he's still young. He just needs the practice and game time to get to top level. They'll be some growing pains(we've seen them this year throughout the squad) but it'll benefit us next year and beyond. No point in playing him forward loads this year to just st throw him back at LB next season again. 

With how porous our defence are this year, I would prefer it if we played golbourne there to concentrate keeping clean sheets.

To me, JB is a very good attacking player on the left hand side of a front 3. He gets about, can fizz a ball in low for a poacher like Tammy to get on the end of and can also get back to help out defensively.

One problem I feel we have at the moment is playing Reid, Tonlin, Patterson, Freeman - they all compete for the same area on the pitch when playing causing congestion and no free people. JB tends to stick out wider naturally giving the likes of Tomlin and Tammy more space to do what they can. The midfield I could play is a mixture of Smith, O'Neill and Pack competing for the 2 midfield general roles, Patterson and Freeman for the right of the front 3, JB on the left, Tammy up front and Tomlin and Reid compete for the 2 behind. Reid can always play in one of the general roles if it is a game we look to dominate as this is where he excels rather than in a game we counter attack.

Big fan of Joe as a person and as a footballer

On a good day looks as if he could make a good shot at Prem football and on an off day looks like he was lucky to make it as a Pro Footballer

Has lots of attributes - athleticism, pace, good aerially , two footed to a fair degree

Decision making and positioning and consistency are often poor IMO a

What disappoints / worries me with Joe is he's played 130 odd first team games - he's not a 'new kid off the block'

Has his progress been rapid - I'd say he goes in fits and starts

hes an extremely bright lad so it's certainly not a lack of intelligence or mental capacity to learn and he's definitely in the %100 effort / commitment box (IMO) so difficult to understand at times 

Does he maybe have a confidence issue ?

Desperately want him to progress, for himself as much as 'us'

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Big fan of Joe as a person and as a footballer

On a good day looks as if he could make a good shot at Prem football and on an off day looks like he was lucky to make it as a Pro Footballer

Has lots of attributes - athleticism, pace, good aerially , two footed to a fair degree

Decision making and positioning and consistency are often poor IMO a

What disappoints / worries me with Joe is he's played 130 odd first team games - he's not a 'new kid off the block'

Has his progress been rapid - I'd say he goes in fits and starts

hes an extremely bright lad so it's certainly not a lack of intelligence or mental capacity to learn and he's definitely in the %100 effort / commitment box (IMO) so difficult to understand at times 

Does he maybe have a confidence issue ?

Desperately want him to progress, for himself as much as 'us'

It's an unpopular opinion but is it just a simple case of us over stating his actual ability? I do feel sometimes that the 'local lad/academy product' thing clouds the judgement and covers a multitude of sins  

I really like him as a person and a professional, but IMO he's a very long way off of Premier League quality. 

As of right now - and like you say with 100+ first team apps, he's no newcomer in footballing terms - he's not been anything above an average championship player.

With the rose tints off, I'd argue there are dozens of championship players of similar or better ability. 

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I really rate Joe Bryan and am a little bit surprised that he has n't hit the heights after his fantastic season last year .

Is he being used to his full ability ? 

I know LJ sees him as a full back in the making and he has the experience to back up his judgement but I really feel that Joe is more of an attacking player and would prefer to see him playing more in the opposition last third of the pitch rather than being shackled as a full back .

I  am convinced that we're not getting the best out of this very talented young player.

I thought he was poor last season to be honest, positionaly he's suspect so for me he won't really make it as a championship left back until that sorted 

52 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Attacking midfielder end of. 

i thought the wing back system was best for him. has a decent  shot on him,can leap like a salmon above defenders much taller than him and decent with his head. wasted  tied up at the back. as already said,stick golborne back there and get  joes shackles  off.

also a real pleasure to talk to,hasnt got his head up his arse

For me he is a central midfielder and has all the attributes to be a top class one. I don't overly rate him as a full back or a winger.

He wasn't great last season but some of his better games were in the middle of midfield, Fulham away being a particular highlight.

Trouble is GON, Smith, Pack, Brownhill and Reid are all ahead of him in that position currently. What I would like to see is...

Fielding

Moore (lack of other options!) Flint Mags Golbourne

Smith Pack Bryan

Tomlin

Tammy Wilbs

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

For me he is a central midfielder and has all the attributes to be a top class one. I don't overly rate him as a full back or a winger.

He wasn't great last season but some of his better games were in the middle of midfield, Fulham away being a particular highlight.

Trouble is GON, Smith, Pack, Brownhill and Reid are all ahead of him in that position currently. What I would like to see is...

Fielding

Smith Pack Bryan

Tomlin

Tammy Wilbs

Interesting call Ivan and have to say sounds as if it could be a good one 

On 11/24/2016 at 21:32, Londoner said:

Was he outstanding last year? I thought at the start of the season he was hoping for more consistsncy after a "mixed" season

No, he wasn't.

He was taken out in the first game at Sheff. Weds., possibly returned earlier than he should have done, and took a long time to recover any real form.

He had some good spells during the season but inconsistent is probably a reasonable description.

This season he seems to have longer spells not involved in the action and has looked indifferent at times which is completely out of character.

It makes you wonder if he's completely happy with the role LJ sees for him in the team.

I'm a fan of Joe. I know he has been moved around a bit within the team. Perhaps this has unsettled him, I'm not so sure.

The more I see him, the more I have a suspicion that his 'problems' come from the unspoken mental attributes.

After Wednesday away LJ spoke about players who bottled it and who crumble under pressure. Is Joe one of these? All the footballing attributes but just lacks composure and bravery sometimes. 

The difference between a good sportsperson and a great sportsperson is more often than not, in their head, but we rarely talk about it in football. 

I've been wondering for a while now if Joe's yo-yo-ing performances are down to something more mental than tactical or physical.

On 24/11/2016 at 21:46, formerly known as ivan said:

Fielding

Smith Pack Bryan

Tomlin

Tammy Wilbs

Agree play him forward where his strengths are  , LJ has a downer on Goldbourne  but he is a solid defender and loves it here, know the family Scott was devastated to not be in the 18 today but still came out with the players to join in pre match , proper character, I wish LJ would stop pissing him around 

Weird one for me, he seems to be so solid at times.. and then others he seems to allow players to get clinical crosses in without a ounce of urgency (today).

He is NO left back, at the moment, BUT if that's the long term goal, then I hope LJ persists with him.

3 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Weird one for me, he seems to be so solid at times.. and then others he seems to allow players to get clinical crosses in (today).

He is NO left back, at the moment, BUT if that's the long term goal, then I hope LJ persists with him.

Yes at the moment we need him further forward. Premier League Left Back can wait. We are in the Championship and Golbourne is pretty decent while we get back on track and wait for January! 

Archived